BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Improve handling/ body roll of 540i xDrive

03-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #1
matadore
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Improve handling/ body roll of 540i xDrive

Hi all, mid-Jan bought a used 2017 540i xDrive from a german dealer with 2 years after-market warranty with less than 20,000km/ 12500 miles on the clock.

The car is pretty much brand new, but it lacks a lot of options - Mpack, sound system, adaptive suspension, nav, colour, exhaust, just to name a few. I love the car and being a long-time BMW fanboy I've always wanted to have an M, but the reality is different. The B58 is pretty amazing, so I am not thinking of power tuning in the near future.

I've come out of a 2009 Mini Cooper and this BMW just floats too much in the corners. So far I've done my research, and looked at springs, MSS, sway bars - F90 and aftermarket, and braces under the car and in the engine compartment, KW V3 suspension. I do not want to lose the comfort of the basic suspension, the car is a Sport line model, but wanted to increase the speed and feel in the corners.

My plan is to start with anti-roll bars, potentially from M5 (if they fit), later camber arms, and later drop links and potentially go through the Hardrace options for the G30 and pick things if needed after each change, then maybe going towards springs/MSS as roads are pretty shitty in Bulgaria.

What are your thoughts on things to add/change to best make it as I want?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 09:04 AM   #2
sdnmedia22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

I came across some Eibach springs for pretty cheap on the internet, 30mm all round, and fitting wasn't expensive either. The drop isn't crazy but it makes the car look a lot better. Its also made the car a lot tighter around corners and its lost a lot of its 'boaty' feel. The comfort also wasn't impacted too much. I believe Eibach are BMW's supplier for their stock springs. I'd consider them. MSS are also very good!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
matadore
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback. Mate, does your car come with the M suspension or like mine on the "sport line" standard one or the VDC (not sure if available for 540)?

I've considered them, but let's see how the F90 sway bars change things later this month. I don't want to change the suspension as most of the roads are filled with potholes and "proper road upgrades" that make the comfort "great".

Actually, I am considering the M sport springs, as they might be a less of a drop if the bars don't make the right change. Couldn't find the OEM number on realoem, for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 10:50 AM   #4
matadore
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
I got my F90 sway bars fitted today. There is much less body roll in the corners. Keep in mind I did only a 30min drive after getting the car - it started snowing and people got out after work, so yes. Just a quick drive.

My car is with standard suspension, so it is still comfortable in the straights and tighter in the bends.

For 500eur ($550)-ish for both bars (used F90) and fitting, it makes a big difference in my opinion. I have a 500-1000km next week and will get back with more details. So far so good.

My next options, if needed, will be to try the springs or change the whole package with the KW V4. Time will tell. If anyone is on the fence, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
cola.p
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by matadore View Post
I got my F90 sway bars fitted today. There is much less body roll in the corners. Keep in mind I did only a 30min drive after getting the car - it started snowing and people got out after work, so yes. Just a quick drive.

My car is with standard suspension, so it is still comfortable in the straights and tighter in the bends.

For 500eur ($550)-ish for both bars (used F90) and fitting, it makes a big difference in my opinion. I have a 500-1000km next week and will get back with more details. So far so good.

My next options, if needed, will be to try the springs or change the whole package with the KW V4. Time will tell. If anyone is on the fence, go for it.
Can you tell me which part no. Of front and rear F90 sway bar you bought? And modification or direct swap?

My car is 330e. I plan to you a used f90 sway bar (will pull the trigger very soon ). I saw in the photo the bracket shape was different.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 02:48 AM   #6
matadore
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cola.p View Post
Can you tell me which part no. Of front and rear F90 sway bar you bought? And modification or direct swap?

My car is 330e. I plan to you a used f90 sway bar (will pull the trigger very soon ). I saw in the photo the bracket shape was different.
Sure thing mate. I've for the Rear axle bar - 33557856913 & the set of the rear swing support - 33506869096.

On the front, it was - 31357856911. It came with the brackets as well. I am attaching images of both, without the rear swing support.

Everything that I bought from the F90 was installed by the shop and they've removed both bars as well as both vibration absorbers on the rear. They said no problem with the installation and it took like half a day.
Attached Images

Last edited by matadore; 04-07-2023 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:14 AM   #7
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sure thing mate. I've for the Rear axle bar - 33557856913 & the set of the rear swing support - 33506869096.

On the front, it was - 31357856911. It came with the brackets as well. I am attaching images of both, without the rear swing support.

Everything that I bought from the F90 was installed by the shop and they've removed both bars as well as both vibration absorbers on the rear. They said no problem with the installation and it took like half a day.
Thanks mate! I saw the bracket of the front sway bay, the shape of bracket is different from my stock sway bar bracket. Does it fit?

Last edited by cola.p; 04-11-2023 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:26 PM   #8
matadore
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks mate! I saw the bracket of the front sway bay, the shape of bracket is different from my stock sway bar bracket. Does it fit?
Yes, all fit. Both bars in the images were fitted on my car plus the rear swing support. No issues at all. That's what I've got from the service I've fitted them in.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 01:20 PM   #9
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, all fit. Both bars in the images were fitted on my car plus the rear swing support. No issues at all. That's what I've got from the service I've fitted them in.
Thank you very much! I’ll pull the trigger tonight! I’m travelling in Germany and I’ll buy a 2nd hand from ebay and send to my hotel.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2023, 12:52 AM   #10
matadore
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you very much! I’ll pull the trigger tonight! I’m travelling in Germany and I’ll buy a 2nd hand from ebay and send to my hotel.
Perfect, share your thoughts once you have all parts fitted.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 01:19 AM   #11
matadore
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
Feedback on the F90 sways. The car is perfect in the corners, much more planted. The steering is also sharper.

The only downside is that it's a bit more bouncy on uneven roads and quite fidgety when the DSC is off, which makes it quite lively.

Otherwise, with the standard suspension, it's really soft and comfy, especially for the bad roads in Bulgaria. So far, I am happy with the handling and suspension setup. I do not think I will need to change anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:53 AM   #12
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
Perfect, share your thoughts once you have all parts fitted.
Today, I installed the M5 sway bar with the exact part number recommended by Matador on my BMW G30 530e. I drove back home in heavy traffic, but I was still able to experience some sporty driving. The steering response is noticeably improved and much sharper than before, as I expected. There is significantly less body roll when changing lanes or going around corners, making the car feel more sporty and agile. I also noticed that I need to turn the steering wheel less when going around corners. However, on bad roads, the ride comfort is significantly reduced, but it's not a problem for me.

This might be the final modification I needed to achieve the sporty driving experience I was aiming for, and I absolutely love it!

New sway bar was fitted perfectly without any modification in 30 min. They used the existing bracket in front and used new bracket which came with M5 sway bar in the rear. They had to remove the vibration absorbers in the rear as matadore told.

Matadore, thanks for your recommendation👍👍👍
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 11:04 AM   #13
vwk
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D

Quote:
Today, I installed the M5 sway bar with the exact part number recommended by Matador on my BMW G30 530e. I drove back home in heavy traffic, but I was still able to experience some sporty driving. The steering response is noticeably improved and much sharper than before, as I expected. There is significantly less body roll when changing lanes or going around corners, making the car feel more sporty and agile. I also noticed that I need to turn the steering wheel less when going around corners. However, on bad roads, the ride comfort is significantly reduced, but it's not a problem for me.

This might be the final modification I needed to achieve the sporty driving experience I was aiming for, and I absolutely love it!

New sway bar was fitted perfectly without any modification in 30 min. They used the existing bracket in front and used new bracket which came with M5 sway bar in the rear. They had to remove the vibration absorbers in the rear as matadore told.

Matadore, thanks for your recommendation👍👍👍
Hi,

Coincidentally I have the same modification scheduled for tomorrow. I have the complete sway bars from a normal F90, with brackets but without the droplinks.
I have a 530e as well. I ordered in new bolts and nuts as BMW states that they are to be replaced (because they’re tightened in an angle).

My car is a 530e produced 10/2018. I’m a bit worried about the droplinks since the front ones are different (longer). I can imagine them being different due to the shock being different.
Can you confirm that there are no drop links required?

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #14
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwk View Post
Hi,

Coincidentally I have the same modification scheduled for tomorrow. I have the complete sway bars from a normal F90, with brackets but without the droplinks.
I have a 530e as well. I ordered in new bolts and nuts as BMW states that they are to be replaced (because they’re tightened in an angle).

My car is a 530e produced 10/2018. I’m a bit worried about the droplinks since the front ones are different (longer). I can imagine them being different due to the shock being different.
Can you confirm that there are no drop links required?

Thanks a lot!
My rear F90 sway bar from ebay came with drop links. But when the shop installed they said they are the same shape and length then chose the existing one because of the better condition. The front I also used the existing one because there is non drop links came with the sway bar. So no need to be worry about the drop links. You can use your existing one.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 11:19 AM   #15
vwk
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Mate, does your car come with the M suspension or like mine on the "sport line" standard one or the VDC (not sure if available for 540)?

I've considered them, but let's see how the F90 sway bars change things later this month. I don't want to change the suspension as most of the roads are filled with potholes and "proper road upgrades" that make the comfort "great".

Actually, I am considering the M sport springs, as they might be a less of a drop if the bars don't make the right change. Couldn't find the OEM number on realoem, for some reason.
The reason you can’t find them is because there are no M sport springs for the hybrid models. They use regular springs, regardless.
Also be careful buying aftermarket springs. Due to the higher weight in the back, you’ll get extra sag in the rear if you don’t use springs designated for the 530e.
Out of the top of my head both Eibach and H&R have them, with Eibach being the less lower one.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 11:23 AM   #16
vwk
Rep

Quote:
My rear F90 sway bar from ebay came with drop links. But when the shop installed they said they are the same shape and length then chose the existing one because of the better condition. The front I also used the existing one because there is non drop links came with the sway bar. So no need to be worry about the drop links. You can use your existing one.
Well that is reassuring. I already noticed that the rear links are different, but the same length, but the fronts are longer.
Since the 530e/545e and M5 share the same rear axle, I already wasn’t to worried on the rear.

Thanks for clarifying! Really eager to get rid of that boat-like ride feeling
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #17
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well that is reassuring. I already noticed that the rear links are different, but the same length, but the fronts are longer.
Since the 530e/545e and M5 share the same rear axle, I already wasn’t to worried on the rear.

Thanks for clarifying! Really eager to get rid of that boat-like ride feeling
please check my attachment. You’ll see that m5 bar (a cleaner one) and the existing one are almost exactly the same shape. So, I think use the existing front drop link should be fine.

Front 30mm -> 32mm
Rear 22.7mm -> 30mm

Last edited by cola.p; 04-21-2023 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #18
vwk
Rep

Quote:
please check my attachment. You’ll see that m5 bar (a cleaner one) and the existing one are almost exactly the same shape. So, I think use the existing front drop link should be fine.

Front 30mm -> 32mm
Rear 22.7mm -> 30mm

Thanks for the addition. Funny how the rear bracket seems to fit more snug than the M5 one.
Appointment is in 11.5h, will update on the progress for future reference.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2023, 11:16 AM   #19
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the addition. Funny how the rear bracket seems to fit more snug than the M5 one.
Appointment is in 11.5h, will update on the progress for future reference.
Have you made any progress since your last update?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:58 AM   #20
vwk
Rep

Yeah, just didn’t get to posting. It was a straight bolt-on as suggested.
Couldn’t really test it properly since my 3 year old was with me and it was pouring. Today same story. Tomorrow I have a 40km drive ahead that would allow better testing.

Main difference so far is the greater stiffness in the back, making it more planted when going over high-speed bumps. I live in Germany so I have quite a few of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 07:01 PM   #21
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, just didn’t get to posting. It was a straight bolt-on as suggested.
Couldn’t really test it properly since my 3 year old was with me and it was pouring. Today same story. Tomorrow I have a 40km drive ahead that would allow better testing.

Main difference so far is the greater stiffness in the back, making it more planted when going over high-speed bumps. I live in Germany so I have quite a few of them.
Have you measured the stock sway bar diameter? Mine (530e) are front 30mm and rear 22.7mm.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 02:20 PM   #22
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Did anyone do the m5 swap that had the oem active sway bar system instead?
Appreciate 0