BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Wrapping Exterior Trim Pieces vs. Replacing

02-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Wrapping Exterior Trim Pieces vs. Replacing

My 2017 540i is Glacier Silver Metallic and has the Chrome line exterior trim. While I love the color, it's just too bland with the chrome trim, the details of the car just seem washed out.

I've searched a few threads around here but haven't quite found what I am looking for. Has anyone had success with having a shop wrap the chrome pieces? Obviously it can be done but I am wondering how it holds up to the abuse from the road. I will be putting a lot of miles on this car and these Arizona roads have a lot of rocks/sand. Not sure what color I would do if I wrapped - maybe just a gloss black? Thought about having the roof done too, not sure if it fits this car or not though.

The other options would be to buy aftermarket or buy OEM replacement parts. Wrapping seems to be the most cost effective if it will hold up well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

I am interested in that too
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 03:30 AM   #3
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

interested to hear too, everything I have read is pointing towards wrapping. I don't have chrome trim, I have the satin Aluminium individual option, which does look good but I think I prefer gloss black. I looked into the OEM gloss black replacement trim and it costs a fortune, like 4 figures in total, that's certainly not worth it, so I'll either leave it as it is, or get it wrapped, I believe if you have it wrapped well and use good quality vinyl it will hold up
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

So I am taking the car in to get Xpel (clear bra) on the front and ceramic coating the paint/wheels/glass/other exterior bits to a nice shop here in Phoenix.

I asked them about wrapping the chrome bits on the exterior and they quoted me $750. This shop isn't cheap and works on some high end cars but they are also not the most expensive joint in town. That quote included the front grill (he initially though he couldn't wrap it but changed his mind after seeing it), the brake duct trim on the front bumper above the fog lights, the brake duct trim on the fenders, all around the windows, and this odd piece on the lower portion of the rear bumper.

Considerably cheaper than OEM replacement parts but I just don't know how it will hold up and how long it will look good for. Does it scratch and swirl easy? Will it fade in the sun? I know they wrap cars all the time, I just don't know anything about it. I may actually just attempt to do this myself, it doesn't look like rocket science and, as with anything, it appears that the prep is the key (as well as probably purchasing a good product).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
So I am taking the car in to get Xpel (clear bra) on the front and ceramic coating the paint/wheels/glass/other exterior bits to a nice shop here in Phoenix.

I asked them about wrapping the chrome bits on the exterior and they quoted me $750. This shop isn't cheap and works on some high end cars but they are also not the most expensive joint in town. That quote included the front grill (he initially though he couldn't wrap it but changed his mind after seeing it), the brake duct trim on the front bumper above the fog lights, the brake duct trim on the fenders, all around the windows, and this odd piece on the lower portion of the rear bumper.

Considerably cheaper than OEM replacement parts but I just don't know how it will hold up and how long it will look good for. Does it scratch and swirl easy? Will it fade in the sun? I know they wrap cars all the time, I just don't know anything about it. I may actually just attempt to do this myself, it doesn't look like rocket science and, as with anything, it appears that the prep is the key (as well as probably purchasing a good product).
I know USA has much higher prices in regards to services but in EU you get the whole car wrapped for about 1500$ so I find it expensive anyway.

There are some youtube videos with how to wrap chrome parts, it does not hard if you have some tools but theory and practice are different.

The hardest part IMO is to avoid scratching the paint when you cut the vinyl.

I would try to do this in the summer but maybe there are people who done it and can tell us how long will the vinyl hold in time.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:30 AM   #6
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Plastidip is another option. It is easy to apply.
Appreciate 0