BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Crashed into from behind..

12-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #23
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

Know it hurts. I was rear ended about 5 years ago. A Durango hit my 540 when I was stopped on the freeway during rush hour. Girl hit me at an angle. Pretty much took out the quarter panels, trunk and bumper. Tail light ended up in what was left of the trunk. The rails (frame) were not damaged, otherwise it would have been totaled. My dealer's body shop did great work and the repairs and paint were as good as new. Never had a problem in the remaining three yeas of my lease.

It looks like from your picture that the other car hit you square. Good chance no frame damage. Will tell you your insurance company will instruct the body shop to look for parts from salvaged cars. Work with your body shop to insist on new. They will do a search for the parts. Good news is salvaged parts may be hard to find for these cars and will cost close to new anyway. Just go to a quality shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Sadly my 540i got taken out yesterday by someone who was falling asleep behind the wheel. Was slow moving start/stop traffic and impact was at low speed, but the guy was driving a big Toyota Landcruiser with a bar on the front. Damage looks mainly cosmetic (boot lid, lights etc.), no airbag deployment.

The workshop will do a full assessment in the coming days, but for anyone who's gone through similar incident .. is there anything I should keep a watch for in terms of potential issues that could come up later as a result of a shunt like this?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #24
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5D X Drive/ 2018 540D M

Garage List
Not sure how it works elsewhere but here in the US of A you are entitled to a diminished value claim as part of the damages (to your wallet) in lowered resale value. Here it's at least 10% of the repair cost. Insurance companies are reluctant to pay this part of the claim even though they are legally bound to.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 04:39 PM   #25
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEX5BEAST View Post
Not sure how it works elsewhere but here in the US of A you are entitled to a diminished value claim as part of the damages (to your wallet) in lowered resale value. Here it's at least 10% of the repair cost. Insurance companies are reluctant to pay this part of the claim even though they are legally bound to.
Careful. In the USA insurance is state regulated so 50 different states and you'll have potentially 50 different sets of rules. Diminished value isn't a mandate in every state.

PA for instance doesn't do diminished value for First Party, but does for Third Party...

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/u...-50-STATES.pdf
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #26
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

Sorry to hear. I had a similar accident many years ago in my 118i. All repaired well but the collision caused the exhaust to be “pushed forward” causing a small “kink” or bend part of the exhaust pipe. Didn’t realize until I noticed that I’d scrape the bottom very rarely because of a slightly slower part of the exhaust pipe. However, a real costly repair happened later when my catalytic converter started to fail without good reason. When brought in for repair and replaced, I noticed that many internals of the catalytic converter were damaged/lose. Possibly caused by the impact on the exhaust... Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #27
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
I know this post is old now and I should have mentioned this earlier - see if they will allow you to keep the tail lights that are not damaged - I did that with our land rover, I backed into my own car, don't ask... Had to replace the front light and it only had a small crack in it. Was able to sell it on ebay for $500!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #28
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Similar experience to me in my old car - I feel your pain.

One watch out from my perspective was condensation in the rear lights post repair, but otherwise it was fairly straightforward - new bumper, tailgate, exhaust tips, and a few other bits and bobs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #29
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post

One watch out from my perspective was condensation in the rear lights post repair, but otherwise it was fairly straightforward - new bumper, tailgate, exhaust tips, and a few other bits and bobs.
100k ranges don't have auto stop/pre crash feature. Wtf
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #30
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYC1919 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post

100k ranges don't have auto stop/pre crash feature. Wtf
Was a fairly old Range. I was stopped dead at a set of lights too for ages!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #31
Karnidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
M badge aside, I am sorry this happened to you. It looks mostly cosmetic and doesn't look like it impacted the exhaust, which is good.

The M badge used to be sacred until BMW started putting in on all of their non-M cars. i.e. M240, M340, M550, M850 etc. Mercedes does the same thing with their AMG badge. Nowadays the M badge doesn't mean anything special. I hear people talk about their M340i and it makes me cringe though. lol.
      04-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #32
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnidge View Post
M badge aside, I am sorry this happened to you. It looks mostly cosmetic and doesn't look like it impacted the exhaust, which is good.

The M badge used to be sacred until BMW started putting in on all of their non-M cars. i.e. M240, M340, M550, M850 etc. Mercedes does the same thing with their AMG badge. Nowadays the M badge doesn't mean anything special. I hear people talk about their M340i and it makes me cringe though. lol.
Better stay away from BMW M Track Days, then. BMW reps and factory drivers introduce all those cars as part of the BMW M Family. Guess they're just wrong? As a former F83 driver, I much prefer my M550.

OP, hope you got it fixed with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #33
Karnidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
... BMW reps and factory drivers introduce all those cars as part of the BMW M Family. Guess they're just wrong? As a former F83 driver, I much prefer my M550...
Of course they do, it's a marketing thing. They found that they can sell more cars by putting the M badge in front of non-M cars.

I am obviously a BMW fan and I personally think the M550 is a great car. But it's not an M5. I preferred it when they only used the M badge for the actual M cars. The "M family" is not the same. If you have numbers following the M<series#>, then it's not a true M car (in my opinion).
      04-21-2021, 09:10 PM   #34
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Some people will have a different opinion on this, but adding an M badge on a non M car has never been a popular thing to post on a bmw enthusiast forum. You opened yourself up for that one OP. Even though BMW and their marketing has been watering down the M badge by posting it all over their cars, it used to mean something special and is still not quite the same as actively adding an M badge yourself. That’s why you got some comments. It’s pretty much been like this since this forum was created.

I personally don’t really care what people choose to do to their vehicles. To each their own. I had my last two F80’s debadged, and my new 550 is now as well. I just like the cleaner look. Some M guys might think that’s heresy to debadge an M3 but hey I knew what my car was, and so does any other BMW enthusiast. (Or they might think my 550 is really a debadged 530 and will get a nice little surprise lol )

Back to the topic at hand I am glad you are ok and hope your car gets fixed. These cars are built like tanks thankfully. I was rear ended in my 335 years ago and know the feeling.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 04-21-2021 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Karnidge127.50
      04-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #35
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
Some people will have a different opinion on this, but adding an M badge on a non M car has never been a popular thing to post on a bmw enthusiast forum. .
Agree completely. But the M prepared cars listed in the rant above did not just have the badge added. That is my point. OK....I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #36
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I got rear ended in my truck ... had to replace the step pad on my bumper and wipe off a couple of scuff marks on the chrome.

Appreciate 1
Warp Ten641.50