BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2021 M550i - Underperforming

03-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #67
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Would love to see a European and Canadian car with a dragy do a few runs too - maybe it's some US regional specific software nerf they did?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:19 AM   #68
igelkotten82
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M550i and 435d GC

Garage List
Can you try to film the sport display when doing a launch to see if and if so how much power the car delivers when accelerating? That would then show if the car is delivering less torque in the first gear for example or if the traction control cuts back the power right at any certain speed or if the car cuts back torque while shifting for example.

My best guess so far is that the traction control is working to sensitive and cuts of more power than it has to do from 0-30mph. My guess is that this has been changed in the LCI that makes it more sensitive than the pre LCI or the M850i.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #69
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Have any of you guys dynoed the car?
      03-16-2021, 05:57 PM   #70
PaLaKaT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by igelkotten82 View Post
Can you try to film the sport display when doing a launch to see if and if so how much power the car delivers when accelerating? That would then show if the car is delivering less torque in the first gear for example or if the traction control cuts back the power right at any certain speed or if the car cuts back torque while shifting for example.

My best guess so far is that the traction control is working to sensitive and cuts of more power than it has to do from 0-30mph. My guess is that this has been changed in the LCI that makes it more sensitive than the pre LCI or the M850i.
I'm leaving the country tomorrow for a vaca, when i come back ill record a video and post it here, good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Have any of you guys dynoed the car?
I have not dynoed the car yet, there is a nice shop near me, i will take it to them for a dyno after the dealership replaces my Headunit. Im very curious my self. Probably within a month i will have that info, i'll post it here once i get it done.
Appreciate 1
hoyas490131.50
      03-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #71
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Are you in a high altitude location? I'm wondering if thinner air is a factor.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #72
PaLaKaT
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_T View Post
Are you in a high altitude location? I'm wondering if thinner air is a factor.
No, Im in Jersey. if you look at the draggy report i posted before it shows -200 M (DA)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 03:45 AM   #73
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

There is something wrong here with the car. Autotop NL gets 0-100 kmph in 4.75 here is video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G46bRuBztSI
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #74
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Danger of buying a CPO. OP could be precious owner.

Sounds like OP expected M5 or Comp performance.

4.1 seconds for a sedan is pretty darn respectable but it’s not scat pack performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Yikes. Launching the car before the break in is done. Must be a lease...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #75
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post

4.1 seconds for a sedan is pretty darn respectable but it’s not scat pack performance.

Quote:
The point is that it is not the claimed time...
hoyas490131.50
ASG9946.00
      03-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #76
PaLaKaT
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

4.1 seconds for a sedan is pretty darn respectable but it's not scat pack performance.

Quote:
And you assumed that I expected M5 performance how? If you have nothing useful to say just move on. Keep your opinions to your self, no one wants to hear it.
But to address your assumptions. If the car is advertised to do 0 to 60 in 3.6s i believe it should be able to achieve it instead of becoming slower than pre-LCI. I am not out here with the expectations of the car to put down what M5 is advertising or that it is putting "respectable to you" numbers. Read the damn topic.

if you have read the topic, you would know that others in the U.S. are getting similar slower than advertised results. I personally got the car for the performance numbers, the luxury and soft ride. I want to receive what i paid for.
Appreciate 4
Cabbage624.50
hoyas490131.50
ASG9946.00
Joe-BMW337040.50
      03-22-2021, 02:56 AM   #77
igelkotten82
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M550i and 435d GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_BMW View Post
I'm leaving the country tomorrow for a vaca, when i come back ill record a video and post it here, good idea!
The guys at AutotopNL did exactly that on a video uploaded yesterday. If you look at the launch at 1:41 you can see that the car is delivering far from max power and torque on first gear. Not even in gear 2 its delivering max torque. Road conditions doesn't seem to be perfect but you don´t hear any wheelspin.

Saw that with launch control activated on the new M3 it launches in second gear. Although that car is not four wheel drive so traction may be a bigger concern.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #78
remo999
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

I attached official C&D "track sheet" with 2018 M550 results. Read NOTE at the bottom regarding acceleration times. To save you time it says - "Never could get LC to activate. Still very quick"

Now to get back to your problem (which is not problem at all in my opinion):
BMW is known to have very finicky launch control. Add here the fact that your car didn't have proper brake-in, low mileage, cold weather, all season tires and probably not perfect gas (it's Jersey thingy). Each of this will eat away 0.1 seconds and here you have your 4.1 sec time.

You have amazing car, amazing performance - enjoy every second of driving it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #79
G35c6MT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo999 View Post
I attached official C&D "track sheet" with 2018 M550 results. Read NOTE at the bottom regarding acceleration times. To save you time it says - "Never could get LC to activate. Still very quick"

Now to get back to your problem (which is not problem at all in my opinion):
BMW is known to have very finicky launch control. Add here the fact that your car didn't have proper brake-in, low mileage, cold weather, all season tires and probably not perfect gas (it's Jersey thingy). Each of this will eat away 0.1 seconds and here you have your 4.1 sec time.

You have amazing car, amazing performance - enjoy every second of driving it.
Counterpoint: I’m in Chicago, 93 octane, proper break in and almost 5K miles. I do have all seasons. The car has soft launches and doesn’t hit the numbers. The rest is fantastic.
Appreciate 1
PaLaKaT71.00
      03-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #80
yk36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:

4.1 seconds for a sedan is pretty darn respectable but it's not scat pack performance.

Quote:
And you assumed that I expected M5 performance how? If you have nothing useful to say just move on. Keep your opinions to your self, no one wants to hear it.
But to address your assumptions. If the car is advertised to do 0 to 60 in 3.6s i believe it should be able to achieve it instead of becoming slower than pre-LCI. I am not out here with the expectations of the car to put down what M5 is advertising or that it is putting "respectable to you" numbers. Read the damn topic.

if you have read the topic, you would know that others in the U.S. are getting similar results slower than advertised results. I personally got the car for the performance numbers, the luxury and soft ride. I want to receive what i paid for.
Launching before you've had your 1200mile break in service. Plus it's cold weather and the roads prob suck.

I see why you're not getting the advertised times.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:37 PM   #81
PaLaKaT
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yk36 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

if you have read the topic, you would know that others in the U.S. are getting similar results slower than advertised results. I personally got the car for the performance numbers, the luxury and soft ride. I want to receive what i paid for.
Launching before you've had your 1200mile break in service. Plus it's cold weather and the roads prob suck.

I see why you're not getting the advertised times.
Did you read the thread? There is no such thing as "Break In Service" for M550s, the BMW dealership did nothing for the 1200 miles except change oil and thats ONLY because i requested it.
Roads have nothing to do with the launch either since there is no traction issue. Also launching it during "break in" period does nothing to the times of 0-60 because those times have not changed since the first time i launched the vehicle. Theoretically if Launching the vehicle without break in was to damage something, wouldn't it at least do a 1 good launch (advertised times)? Mind you i have recorded every single launch on Dragy app since the first launch. And they are all the same....
Now for the weather, as far as i know, cold AIR should give you better performance.

Do some research and read the other peoples posts, everyone with the 21 M550 is saying that they are getting the same 4+ secs in the 0 to 60 times.

I attached the leaderboard from Dragy for all 550s. As you can see 2020 models are ahead and there is only 1 2021 M550 that did 3.8 secs, and he had a JB4 AND downpipes to achieve those times which is terrible. I personally know people that have 2020 model completely stock and they run 3.8-3.9secs all day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ASG9946.00
      03-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #82
PaLaKaT
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
So i finally got my head unit replaced in the M550. So far it has not crashed anymore (feels good ��) however there are 0 apps under "installed apps" and nothing happens on the unit when you change vehicle modes and not sure what else is missing. I was told to try to hit update tommorow to see if it happens to fix it because at this point its BMW backend issue according to them. If the apps don't appear it has to go back to dealership again... (for the 5th time)

Now for the launch control, Field engineer came to look at the car and found nothing wrong. And left an interesting note confirming that BMWs do have limited amount of launches in them.
Attached Images

Last edited by PaLaKaT; 03-26-2021 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #83
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
So i finally got my head unit replaced in the M550. So far it has not crashed anymore (feels good &#128524 however there are 0 apps under "installed apps" and nothing happens on the unit when you change vehicle modes and not sure what else is missing. I was told to try to hit update tommorow to see if it happens because at this point its BMW backend issue according to them. If the apps dont appear it has to go back to dealership again... (for the 5th time)

Now for the launch control Field engineer came and looked at and found nothing wrong. And left an interesting note confirming that BMWs do have limited amount of launches in them.
Wow - is this officially stated/documented by BMW somewhere?? This is the first I have seen this in actual print.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #84
Texox
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

^ yes, launch control will only activate so many times within a short period of time.

To the OP, have you tried launching with DSC completely off? Hold the traction button for 5 seconds to turn dsc off completely, then try it. Launch control will not show as activated on the screen (the flag won't pop up), but it will still work.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #85
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Seems like C&D had the same issue with their 2021:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
Appreciate 1
PaLaKaT71.00
      03-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #86
PaLaKaT
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texox View Post
^ yes, launch control will only activate so many times within a short period of time.

To the OP, have you tried launching with DSC completely off? Hold the traction button for 5 seconds to turn dsc off completely, then try it. Launch control will not show as activated on the screen (the flag won't pop up), but it will still work.
Yea i have tried everything, and here is a tip for everyone. I have found that the car launches better from "S2". Brake Boost and you will get closer to 4s. I have tried this multiple times now and the results are the same. Car Launches better from 2nd gear.

I wonder if people call and Complaint to BMW NA regarding false advertisement of performance figures, if they would do some kind of software update to address it.

Or afterall, is this the new Norm for BMW?...

Update: Finally the head-unit update went through, so far no issues and everything works fine!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #87
remo999
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Seems like C&D had the same issue with their 2021:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
Wow, so it is true . Very, very weird - I'm sure there is some kind of software/programming bug from factory. Car with 523hp should easily achieve claimed 3.6s.

BTW - I was able to do 4 second runs couple of times in my 2018 M550. And this is very close to 3.9s BMW claim. That was with summer tires and in May of last year.

Below is from C&D clearly indicating problem with 2021 model:

We couldn't quite match BMW's claimed zero-to-60 time of 3.6 seconds. Our 5287-mile test car did the 60 run in 4.1 seconds and sailed through the quarter in 12.3 seconds at 120 mph. All-wheel drive makes launches easy and repeatable, but an M5 Competition shatters those numbers with a 2.6-second run to 60 and a 10.7-second quarter at 130 mph. We're not sure why our Michigan test car wasn't quicker, and it certainly should have been considering the X5 50i we tested hit 60 in 3.9 seconds and weighed 857 more pounds than the 5-series. Furthering our suspicions, our 5742-pound long-term BMW X7 M50i raced to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds. Unlike California where premium tops out at 91 octane, Michigan has 93, so it wasn't a fuel issue.

To OP - it would be great if you could get your car to quality shop and do DYNO.

Last edited by remo999; 03-26-2021 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
PaLaKaT71.00
      03-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #88
jmhildreth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xdrive

You know, every car tested by the automotive press has had DHP. That's got to add weight. C&D's car was over 200 lb heavier than the standard quoted weight for an M550i. That's probably not enough to make a 0.5 sec from weight alone but who knows what other effect it might have? A retest with a non-DHP car might be interesting.
Appreciate 0