BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos C&D: Every New Car You Can Still Buy with a Manual Transmission

03-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #45
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Paddles are toast too. Single speeds will take over and replace your precious paddles.
Take a look inside of a Tesla 3.

It feels like an Ikea and an iPad had a love child.

BUT, they've proven that the minimalist design works, and there are a hell of a lot fewer parts making up the inside of the cabin.

Which means an easier supply chain, fewer repairs, fewer things to stock, quicker manufacture/production line times, fewer things to break-- and (of course) higher profits.

Yes, there will still be niche/boutique vehicles, but laugh all you want about the demise of the MT-- it's not the only thing going the way of the buggy whip-- paddle shifters, complicated dashes, mechanical air vents, iDrive: They're all dinosaurs that a single large touchpad are going to put out to pasture.

As much as I hate to say it-- Tesla built a better mousetrap (and I'm ONLY talking cabin design here), and all of the other manufacturers are paying attention as to what works, what the public wants (and there are more of the "care as an appliance" types than "car as a passion" types), and where they can save/make money.

Just my 0.02. I hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see the future.

R.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #46
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Paddles are toast too. Single speeds will take over and replace your precious paddles.
Take a look inside of a Tesla 3.

It feels like an Ikea and an iPad had a love child.

BUT, they've proven that the minimalist design works, and there are a hell of a lot fewer parts making up the inside of the cabin.

Which means an easier supply chain, fewer repairs, fewer things to stock, quicker manufacture/production line times, fewer things to break-- and (of course) higher profits.

Yes, there will still be niche/boutique vehicles, but laugh all you want about the demise of the MT-- it's not the only thing going the way of the buggy whip-- paddle shifters, complicated dashes, mechanical air vents, iDrive: They're all dinosaurs that a single large touchpad are going to put out to pasture.

As much as I hate to say it-- Tesla built a better mousetrap (and I'm ONLY talking cabin design here), and all of the other manufacturers are paying attention as to what works, what the public wants (and there are more of the "care as an appliance" types than "car as a passion" types), and where they can save/make money.

Just my 0.02. I hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see the future.

R.
Mostly agree, but the locked down Tesla screen sucks. Want Spotify, Waze or something not approved by Musk? Tough shit.

Reminds me of our Stupid Audi that blanks out the maps if you dare to use an app from your phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #47
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
My wife (who's 'fun sized') LOVES it. She drives it every day that she can-- 35 degrees in Denver, and she's on her way to work with the top down, windows up and heater blasting. She gets a *ton* of compliments on it as well- the RF really doesn't look much like a Miata, so people are surprised when she tells them what it is.

Me? I can't fit in the damn thing. I'm 6' with a very tall (37.5") torso, and it's Unfun for me to wiggle myself into it, and then I damn near need a can opener to get out. I do NOT fit in it at all with the top up-- with the top down, I feel like a golden retriever with his head out the window.

That being said, I've driven it a few times (to the PPF place) and it's a full-on hoot to drive. And the MT shifter might just be the best on the planet.

My wife got the GT-S package-- if you get an RF, I'd *really* recommend it. upgraded Bilstein struts (and my wife has *zero* interest in modding her car), a blacked out roof panel, and most importantly? A LSD. *That* was why I talked her into the package.

R.

Thanks for your driving impression. I would definitely go for the Club model to get the Bilsteins and LSD. I'm 5'11" and could fit into a regular MX-5 Club with the Recaro seats and the soft top up. I imagine the RF would have similar headroom with the roof closed.
      03-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #48
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I love my 2017 Miata Club RF with Brembo.

Its my Winter car and I daily it. Has 45K on it now.

One major problem is no way to fit a roll bar in it and I wanted to track it...

I'll swap out the RF in a few years for a soft top and add a Hard Dog bar right away.

I'm 5'10" and there plenty of room for a larger person.

I run 245/40 RE71R's on 17x9" rims and have a race suspension on it as well.

Best shifter I've ever rowed.
Attached Images

My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00