BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Picture of Last Items You Bought (NO WEAPONS)

09-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #5721
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
LOL I've been watching Allyn since I first bought my house 2 years ago. didn't realize what it takes to keep the lawn looking good. I've got about 20k so I use about 10 bags of Milo. I think i'm pretty much done with the weeds this year since winter is around the corner and the grass should be going dormant soon. I did a better job this year than last year as last year I had no clue WTF I was doing I'm getting better but i'd rather put the money in my BMW but cheese and rice lawn maintenance gets expensive too especially when you have to buy lawn equipment. just bought that battery powered Ryobi BackPack sprayer someone here mentioned as the 4 gallon manual back pack sprayer I use is just too much labor
Lawn looks good. Yeah, the start up cost sucks. I haven't even gotten to getting a mower yet which is bad and good. Trying to be smart about what I get now to minimize cost and still be useful later (eg my GorillaCart can be used as a pull accessory).
      09-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #5722
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Lawn looks good. Yeah, the start up cost sucks. I haven't even gotten to getting a mower yet which is bad and good. Trying to be smart about what I get now to minimize cost and still be useful later (eg my GorillaCart can be used as a pull accessory).
Best choice by far is my Husqvarna tractor. My first year I used a push mower which took 3 hours to cut 20k lawn. Now it takes 45 min. Also I'm saving from renting the mechanical aerator and dethatchers as now all I have to do is use the attachments and pull it from behind. Instead of pushing my Scott's broadcast spreader on foot I pull a Brinly Spreader. So much easier and less energy
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #5723
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
LOL I've been watching Allyn since I first bought my house 2 years ago. didn't realize what it takes to keep the lawn looking good. I've got about 20k so I use about 10 bags of Milo. I think i'm pretty much done with the weeds this year since winter is around the corner and the grass should be going dormant soon. I did a better job this year than last year as last year I had no clue WTF I was doing I'm getting better but i'd rather put the money in my BMW but cheese and rice lawn maintenance gets expensive too especially when you have to buy lawn equipment. just bought that battery powered Ryobi BackPack sprayer someone here mentioned as the 4 gallon manual back pack sprayer I use is just too much labor
Ive been thinking about the economics of this as I see these lawn care equipment purchases. Is maintaining the lawn a labor of love, or a cost saving measure? Seems like the former when time is considered. Is a landscaper that much more expensive?

Disclaimer: city boy living in a condo here.
      09-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #5724
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Ive been thinking about the economics of this as I see these lawn care equipment purchases. Is maintaining the lawn a labor of love, or a cost saving measure? Seems like the former when time is considered. Is a landscaper that much more expensive?

I think it's the love of owning a home and being a DIY'er. I could pay a lawn maintenance or I could fo it myself. To me it's the enjoyment. Until I physically can't do it, then I'll pay. But for now I do it cause of the enjoyment
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #5725
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Magrette moana Pacific professional
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mc-m3204.00
      09-29-2018, 12:16 AM   #5726
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Been looking for this one for a while...

Appreciate 4
Violator4587.50
TXSTYLE13653.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      09-29-2018, 07:24 AM   #5727
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

replaced the standard halogen bulbs to 4' LED's!
Appreciate 3
P111541.50
bosstones1144.00
TXSTYLE13653.00
      09-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #5728
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Clean looking garage!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #5729
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Updating Firmware on this now. Can't wait to hardwire it in my car!

09-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #5730
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

For those regular Garage Details on my Cars...

SixBanger182.50
      09-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #5731
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
For those regular Garage Details on my Cars...
Nice! do you have your detailing cart? I have the circle chair but been debating whether or not to get the square one?

Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      09-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #5732
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice! do you have your detailing cart? I have the circle chair but been debating whether or not to get the square one?

DAYUMN!!!! Now THAT'S a detailing supply!

This creeper has a storage bin to hold a few items. Definitely need it to save my back!
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #5733
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Now thats nice and bright
Looks Good
      09-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #5734
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Quote:
I think it's the love of owning a home and being a DIY'er. I could pay a lawn maintenance or I could fo it myself. To me it's the enjoyment. Until I physically can't do it, then I'll pay. But for now I do it cause of the enjoyment
No worries, glenn. IMHO, it can be a cost savings and/or a labor of love depending on the situation. It just depends on how far down the rabbit hole you go.

For reference, it costs me $45 to have my lawn mowed/trimmed. If I wasn't using a company that already did 3 other nearby lawns, that'd cost would go up. If I got a mid-ish range riding mower for 2k, it'd pay for itself in less than 2 mowing seasons and I have better control over when/how my lawn is mowed.

Double pass core aerating & split seeding the back & sides + single pass aerating in front was something like around $700 after some 'discounts'. I could rent a manual core aerator for a couple hundred bucks a day (but have to transport it). A towed spike aerator is about the same cost to own. Not quite apples/apples, but still. One could split the cost of a rental w/ neighbors but my neighborhood is acre lots so I'd need more neighbors to buy-in to make it worthwhile.

It is arguable how often one aerates and really needs to overseed but landscaping isn't necessarily cheap. For reference, my cost #'s are for approx 32k sq ft of yard.

Note, too, that I haven't even gotten to fertilizing and weed control.

Buying equipment for it all definitely costs more upfront, but if it is used regularly over time it will pay itself off. Plus, not taking care of your lawn can lead to other expenses. Again, how far down the rabbit hole you go also makes a difference, too.
      09-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #5735
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I was gonna do the same in my garage but missed the sale at Lowe's for these. Those LED strip lights are pretty expensive for what they are.

I will go the lazy way since I have no desire to to tear up the ceiling to run conduit (joists are perpendicular to where I need to run pipe). I'll just run it externally and paint to match the ceiling. I just have a single exposed bulb fixture in each car bay now so it won't be too bad. Might replace the bulb fixtures w/ 4' strips and do a perpendicular 8' strip (a few feet away) for each bay.
      09-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #5736
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #5737
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
DAYUMN!!!! Now THAT'S a detailing supply!

This creeper has a storage bin to hold a few items. Definitely need it to save my back!
Lol it's what happens when you're on Chemical Guy's website and a credit card in hand LOL!
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      09-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #5738
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Now thats nice and bright
Looks Good
Thanks Brother! That's what I was hoping!

Quote:
Nice! I was gonna do the same in my garage but missed the sale at Lowe's for these. Those LED strip lights are pretty expensive for what they are.

I will go the lazy way since I have no desire to to tear up the ceiling to run conduit (joists are perpendicular to where I need to run pipe). I'll just run it externally and paint to match the ceiling. I just have a single exposed bulb fixture in each car bay now so it won't be too bad. Might replace the bulb fixtures w/ 4' strips and do a perpendicular 8' strip (a few feet away) for each bay.
That's what I previously had. A single lightbulb fixture in each bay. All I did was buy the lightbulb adapter that allows you to plug in an electrical plug so that's where the LED plugs into. So from the picture that's the light towards the back of the garage. And than I removed the bulbs from the garage door opener unit and did the same thing but I scooted the LED's further down that way I have even coverage from front to back. The lights turn on automatically when I open the garage and they automatically turn off after I think 2 min? But what's cool is in the garage control unit there's a smaller button I can hit to turn the light on individually or have all 6 on like as seen
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #5739
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries, glenn. IMHO, it can be a cost savings and/or a labor of love depending on the situation. It just depends on how far down the rabbit hole you go.

For reference, it costs me $45 to have my lawn mowed/trimmed. If I wasn't using a company that already did 3 other nearby lawns, that'd cost would go up. If I got a mid-ish range riding mower for 2k, it'd pay for itself in less than 2 mowing seasons and I have better control over when/how my lawn is mowed.

Double pass core aerating & split seeding the back & sides + single pass aerating in front was something like around $700 after some 'discounts'. I could rent a manual core aerator for a couple hundred bucks a day (but have to transport it). A towed spike aerator is about the same cost to own. Not quite apples/apples, but still. One could split the cost of a rental w/ neighbors but my neighborhood is acre lots so I'd need more neighbors to buy-in to make it worthwhile.

It is arguable how often one aerates and really needs to overseed but landscaping isn't necessarily cheap. For reference, my cost #'s are for approx 32k sq ft of yard.

Note, too, that I haven't even gotten to fertilizing and weed control.

Buying equipment for it all definitely costs more upfront, but if it is used regularly over time it will pay itself off. Plus, not taking care of your lawn can lead to other expenses. Again, how far down the rabbit hole you go also makes a difference, too.
I have 20k of lawn so the lawn maintenance quoted me like $600 for the month which didn't include weed/bug spray or any kind of fertilizing. All could be done but with additional cost. Aerating just like you mentioned would have to be rented from HD. So I think in the long run I would be saving since the cost of all the equipment would pay off in the first year. I see me doing this myself for at least 20 more years
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #5740
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Ditched the diesel Jeep...may I never buy a diesel again.

Picked up this for the wife's DD, she said the Grand Cherokee was a little big for her tastes, so we downsized. Doesnt have all the fluff the Jeep had, but it's not bad. RDX A-Spec
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
519.E82243.00
      09-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #5741
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Ditched the diesel Jeep...may I never buy a diesel again.

Picked up this for the wife's DD, she said the Grand Cherokee was a little big for her tastes, so we downsized. Doesnt have all the fluff the Jeep had, but it's not bad. RDX A-Spec
That looks really good great contrasting colours, but damn is that a big Acura logo
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #5742
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
That looks really good great contrasting colours, but damn is that a big Acura logo
Agreed...but it beats that damn shovel spade grill they've used over the previous decade.
Appreciate 1
519.E82243.00