BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Crack in speedometer

11-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
xkazman
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Crack in speedometer

Good evening! I came home this weekend to find a crack in my speedometer. Has anyone seen or heard of this happening? The dealership told me this would not be covered by CPO warranty. This must be a manufacturer defect.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

From the photo it looks like a crack in the clear plastic cover over the gauge cluster. Can you feel it with your finger? Maybe it's on the backside of the plastic? Could a car wash person be applying too much pressure when cleaning the plastic? And, you're sure it wasn't there prior to you owning the car?
      11-17-2021, 07:32 PM   #3
xkazman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
From the photo it looks like a crack in the clear plastic cover over the gauge cluster. Can you feel it with your finger? Maybe it's on the backside of the plastic? Could a car wash person be applying too much pressure when cleaning the plastic? And, you're sure it wasn't there prior to you owning the car?
Yes it's the clear plastic. I can feel it with my fingers. I wash and clean all my vehicles - this area gets very light wipe or dusting.

Definitely just happened.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Try clear plastic scratch remover and polish it after. Will likely take many applications of scratch remover to improve the scratch, but I suspect you can at least dull it.

Go easy and take your time so you don't make this problem worse.
      11-18-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
xkazman
Rep

Quote:
Try clear plastic scratch remover and polish it after. Will likely take many applications of scratch remover to improve the scratch, but I suspect you can at least dull it.

Go easy and take your time so you don't make this problem worse.
It's not a scratch but a crack. Polish won't work. For sure there was no action on my part to cause this. I'll just have to deal with it I guess. Hopefully the crack doesn't expand.
Appreciate 0