BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Dealer scratched new car at delivery

06-20-2023, 02:45 PM   #45
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

I'd like to say that BMW will make good by giving you a huge discount if you reorder, but we know that based on inventory and that this is the last of the V8 M550i models, they won't have any issue selling the one you refused to anyone else, especially with a unique paint color like this.

See how the fix comes back with a right to refusal.

I don't see BMW bending over backwards on this, but I'd be glad to be wrong.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #46
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Saw this discussion only now, I realise the actual “event” took place half a year ago, but I had a bit similar experience. Bought a second hand 2021 550 a couple of months ago after I moved back to Melbourne from Spain. Love the car, and the guy I bought it from (a lawyer in Tasmania) appeared as a stand-up guy. So, I don’t like badges in cars, I have no need to scream about the 5-series being a 550. Even took badges off from my 2 M6s I had previously.

Anyway, finally got the car to a detailed last week. In the middle of the day I got an SMS from him saying “we have a problem” - my heart sunk! Turned out that not only was there a rather deep scratch but also a dent underst the 550 badge, but it had been covered with the badge. Not only this, turned out the trunk lid had 4x (!) thicker paint than anywhere else in the car! So the trunk lid had been repainted, god only knows for what reason - the previous owner was completely unaware of this, and he bought it from a BMW dealership as an ex demo/exec car.

So, the theory goes like this: Someone had damaged the trunk lid (parking accident?) it had been repainted, and obviously the badged had been taken off. When re-attaching they put the 550 badge(s) to slightly wrong place, and whoever knucklehead removed them probably used a screwdriver (still can’t understand how they managed to create a dent) and damaged it. nobody wanted to repaint again, so they decided to hide with the badge.

Absolutely infuriates me that people do shit like this - hence not muc appreciation from me to some comments in this thread about reattaching the badge to hide the damage. What happened to “treat people like you would like them to treat you”? Anyway, my car detailer is a magician, so unless you know the damage is there, you wouldn’t find it unless you examine really close and wipe your hand over it (you can feel it). I may still end up having the trunk lid repainted, but at the end of the day it’s a second hand car and as many have said above, things happen when you use a car, so need to draw the line somewhere. Photo attached, it’s not what looks like a scratch where the badge used to be, that’s just a reflection, but a flat screwdriver head size horizontal mark. The photo quality, especially when loaded here is not good enough to display it. But I love the clean debadged look!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #47
KaitlynnBrennan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Before making any decisions, it might be worth discussing with the dealer about compensation for the inconvenience and the scratch. If they're willing to make it right and you still love the car, that's a positive sign.On the other hand, if you're not satisfied with the resolution or have any doubts, it's essential to consider your options, even if it means getting your deposit back and exploring other possibilities. After all, it's your hard-earned money and your dream car!By the way, when it comes to car shipping cost, it's always good to have that in mind, especially if you're considering any future transportation needs for your vehicle. You can get quotes from various shipping companies to plan accordingly.

Last edited by KaitlynnBrennan; 10-09-2023 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 07:55 PM   #48
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22’ M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Saw this discussion only now, I realise the actual “event” took place half a year ago, but I had a bit similar experience. Bought a second hand 2021 550 a couple of months ago after I moved back to Melbourne from Spain. Love the car, and the guy I bought it from (a lawyer in Tasmania) appeared as a stand-up guy. So, I don’t like badges in cars, I have no need to scream about the 5-series being a 550. Even took badges off from my 2 M6s I had previously.

Anyway, finally got the car to a detailed last week. In the middle of the day I got an SMS from him saying “we have a problem” - my heart sunk! Turned out that not only was there a rather deep scratch but also a dent underst the 550 badge, but it had been covered with the badge. Not only this, turned out the trunk lid had 4x (!) thicker paint than anywhere else in the car! So the trunk lid had been repainted, god only knows for what reason - the previous owner was completely unaware of this, and he bought it from a BMW dealership as an ex demo/exec car.

So, the theory goes like this: Someone had damaged the trunk lid (parking accident?) it had been repainted, and obviously the badged had been taken off. When re-attaching they put the 550 badge(s) to slightly wrong place, and whoever knucklehead removed them probably used a screwdriver (still can’t understand how they managed to create a dent) and damaged it. nobody wanted to repaint again, so they decided to hide with the badge.

Absolutely infuriates me that people do shit like this - hence not muc appreciation from me to some comments in this thread about [...]
Car dealerships are actually not very good at taking care of /prepping their vehicles for sale. I’ve seen many instances of ultra high end vehicles (McLaren, Porsche, Bentley, etc) being delivered with massive ppf, and paint imperfections. As mentioned you’re much better off having a good detailer deal with these type of things.

Common belief is, the dealership knows how to best wash, care for, and cosmetically modify their own vehicles but in most cases they do more harm than good.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 10:15 PM   #49
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels1117 View Post
Car dealerships are actually not very good at taking care of /prepping their vehicles for sale. I’ve seen many instances of ultra high end vehicles (McLaren, Porsche, Bentley, etc) being delivered with massive ppf, and paint imperfections. As mentioned you’re much better off having a good detailer deal with these type of things.

Common belief is, the dealership knows how to best wash, care for, and cosmetically modify their own vehicles but in most cases they do more harm than good.
The reality is most people don't give a darn. Dealers will only raise their game when they see their customer base demanding better quality.
      10-07-2023, 10:20 PM   #50
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
The reality is most people don't give a darn. Dealers will only raise their game when they see their customer base demanding better quality.
I’m saying that most dealers don’t have the skills or knowledge to do a lot of what’s asked/expected of them. A lot of dealers outsource their detailing/ppf/paint correction etc.

As buyers many people expect that they the dealership has the power and ability to take care of everything at the highest level. I’ve learned over the years that this is very far from the case. I’m not speaking about servicing mechanical parts. I’m referring to primarily the cosmetic stuff mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
NGT25656.50
      10-07-2023, 10:31 PM   #51
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels1117 View Post
I’m saying that most dealers don’t have the skills or knowledge to do a lot of what’s asked/expected of them. A lot of dealers outsource their detailing/ppf/paint correction etc.

As buyers many people expect that they the dealership has the power and ability to take care of everything at the highest level. I’ve learned over the years that this is very far from the case. I’m not speaking about servicing mechanical parts. I’m referring to primarily the cosmetic stuff mentioned above.
You're correct when it comes to PPF. I've seen some horrid PPF jobs done through dealers and the trunk slammer PPF companies they hire. Same for window tint.

Dealers typically do their own detailing as they have to "prep" every new car that comes in for delivery. What many dealers do is use outsiders to wash and do light detail to cars sitting on the lot. These outside companies can destroy a car on the lot.
      10-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #52
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Dealers break all the rules when it’s on their dime. Every trade in or lease return with bumper blemishes is sprayed on the car in the parking lot by a “guy” that is ultra cheap. All those bumpers bumble and peel within two years. A proper bumper respray is performed bumper off so the clearcoat wraps properly.

First think I look for.
      10-08-2023, 05:02 PM   #53
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Dealers break all the rules when it’s on their dime. Every trade in or lease return with bumper blemishes is sprayed on the car in the parking lot by a “guy” that is ultra cheap. All those bumpers bumble and peel within two years. A proper bumper respray is performed bumper off so the clearcoat wraps properly.

First think I look for.
Good points. At the end of the day the dealership is a business and like every business their goal is to minimize costs while maximizing profits.

I’ve dealt with some really nice sales people over the years but you just have to accept that every interaction is purely transactional. They are your best friend while trying to close the deal and then once the deal is signed they couldn’t care less about you.
Appreciate 1
NGT25656.50
      01-03-2024, 02:39 AM   #54
KeenanWolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

That's a unique situation with the BMW reorder. You're right; a V8 M550i in a special paint color will likely find a new home fast! While it might not be a walk in the park to get a huge discount, here's hoping BMW surprises us. By the way, if you're in Texas and need any moving help, check out https://www.a1autotransport.com/texas-moving-companies/. Best of luck with your car adventures!

Last edited by KeenanWolf; 01-05-2024 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:53 AM   #55
Scott in Houston
I Breed Spider Monkeys
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I would be willing to bet, that those of you who have bought quite a few new cars over their lifetime, have bought a repainted car and not known it.

Dealer cars and the cars at the port (especially at the port), get scratched and repaired all the time. I learned of that on a brand new Mercedes SL that I bought in 1999. When I took it to sell at Carmax they found the repaint area.

It's common practice and they don't have to disclose it before sale. Sometimes... the dealers don't even know when it happens at the port and I think that's on purpose for plausible deniability.
      01-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #56
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
I would be willing to bet, that those of you who have bought quite a few new cars over their lifetime, have bought a repainted car and not known it.

Dealer cars and the cars at the port (especially at the port), get scratched and repaired all the time. I learned of that on a brand new Mercedes SL that I bought in 1999. When I took it to sell at Carmax they found the repaint area.

It's common practice and they don't have to disclose it before sale. Sometimes... the dealers don't even know when it happens at the port and I think that's on purpose for plausible deniability.
Key words - "not known it". What you don't know can't hurt you. Paying close to $100k for a car and knowing it's scratched up before delivery and needs to be painted just hurts too much.
NGT25656.50