BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Android SMS (not reading out)

08-19-2019, 02:35 AM   #1
jubblebub
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Android SMS (not reading out)

I just got a 2017 G30 520D Msport. Is there anyway to get it to notify when an Android phone (S9) is connected and receives an SMS text message? I am not too bothered about it reading it out but it would be useful to see it on the screen.

I see a lot of issues with Android which is disappointing but the car itself makes up for that!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Make sure message access is enabled in your phone Bluetooth profile for your BMW. There should be

Calls
Audio
Contact accsss
Message access

Also in your car, Bluetooth settings that you profile for your phone has everything enabled.

Try deleting profile on both devices and setup again.

Do you have the Connected Drive app on your phone? Is it logged into your account and is your iDrive logged in to same account?
      08-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
jubblebub
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Make sure message access is enabled in your phone Bluetooth profile for your BMW. There should be

Calls
Audio
Contact accsss
Message access

Also in your car, Bluetooth settings that you profile for your phone has everything enabled.

Try deleting profile on both devices and setup again.

Do you have the Connected Drive app on your phone? Is it logged into your account and is your iDrive logged in to same account?
I reset both the S8 Bluetooth profile and the profile from the car. When i reconnect I still don't get Message Access as an option. The same phone was fine in my CX5 and my wife's car so it's unlikely the phone. My Connected Drive app is logged in to the same account as iDrive.

My current firmware is TB-006.027.001 so I am not sure if that is current or not. When I tried a manual firmware update (via USB after downloading from the BMW site) it fails but seems to be a common problem.

Do you know what the latest version is and if it can be obtained without going to a dealer (who may charge!)?
Appreciate 0