BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Full screen CarPlay coding review from OEM Navigations

07-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

I'd firstly like to do a big shout out to OEM Navigations for helping me out, coding my ID6 iDrive to full screen CarPlay.

Thomas from OEM Navigations was incredibly helpful answering all questions on WhatsApp and I received my activation code the moment payment was confirmed using PayPal in GBP.

Installing the update was a cinch but there are some basic requirements:
  • Windows laptop with a good Wifi internet connection
  • ENET cable

Get everything booted up, make sure the laptop is charged, and connect up the cables.

Start the app provided by OEM Navigation, enter the activation code, and follow the instructions.
  • Tap "Find vehicle"
  • When your VIN is displayed, tap "Identify" and this will connect online and verify your NBT
  • When that's complete, hit "Start" and wait 10 minutes....

Be patient, and DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING on your laptop! Until you see the message "Process complete: Success", the coding is not complete.

So what are the results?

Before:
[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2eebf2r.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/2jg437m.png[/IMG]

After:
[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2mzy1c4.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2irq64p.png[/IMG]

And the verdict? A little early to tell as I've not even taken a drive yet, but iOS 13 is most definitely designed for fullscreen CarPlay. Without it, the display is cramped and cluttered.

I hope this helps anyone looking for a fast, safe and efficient solution to full screen CarPlay.

Finally, a big thank you to Thomas for answering all my questions. Highly recommended!

To find them, Google "oem navigations" as one word.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with OEM Navigations. I found their service on Google after hunting around for a reliable coding service to provide me with full screen CarPlay.
clee1982796.00
540iSUP703.00
      07-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
I'd firstly like to do a big shout out to OEM Navigations for helping me out, coding my ID6 iDrive to full screen CarPlay.

Thomas from OEM Navigations was incredibly helpful answering all questions on WhatsApp and I received my activation code the moment payment was confirmed using PayPal in GBP.

• ENET cable

Get everything booted up, make sure the laptop is charged, and connect up the cables.

Start the app provided by OEM Navigation, enter the activation code, and follow the instructions.
  • Tap "Find vehicle"
  • When your VIN is displayed, tap "Identify" and this will connect online and verify your NBT

Be patient, and DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING on your laptop! Until you see the message "Process complete: Success", the coding is not complete.

So what are the results?

Before:

After:

And the verdict? A little early to tell as I've not even taken a drive yet, but iOS 13 is most definitely designed for fullscreen CarPlay. Without it, the display is cramped and cluttered.

I hope this helps anyone looking for a fast, safe and efficient solution to full screen CarPlay.

Finally, a big thank you to Thomas for answering all my questions. Highly recommended!

To find them, Google "**************".

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with OEM Navigations. I found their service on Google after hunting around for a reliable coding service to provide me with full screen CarPlay.
Luckily I already own the ENET cable. I like that it can be reused on the same vehicle and that it doesn't require remote programming. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 1
beanbaguk453.50
      07-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
papo540i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:

• ENET cable

• Tap "Find vehicle"

So what are the results?

Before:

After:

Can you post a picture of how Google Maps looks full screen?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by papo540i View Post
Quote:

• ENET cable

• Tap "Find vehicle"

So what are the results?

Before:

After:

Can you post a picture of how Google Maps looks full screen?
+1 on using OEM Navigations. Super friendly, helpful people. You get your code shortly after ordering and you can do the automated remote coding when it's convenient for you. Everything worked perfectly! Highly recommend!

Here is a copy of the maps in widescreen that you asked for:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
REW_F30
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Thanks for the post. I recently used OEM Navigatioms to update my navigation maps. I purchased my 2018 320i while stationed in Germany. It came with EU maps. Once I returned back to the states, I found updating maps to the US region wasn’t as easy as I thought....or as cheap. I got a few quotes stating it would cost around $500-$600. OEM navigations hooked me up for a fraction of the cost. Definitely recommend
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 12:02 AM   #6
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Just wanted to chime in that I also enabled full screen CarPlay this weekend thanks to OEM Navigations. Process worked mostly flawlessly except for some DHCP hiccups with my Ethernet adapter. Would definitely recommend. Takes just about 10 mins. Make sure you are within range of Wifi or internet access throughout and have a stable connection.
Attached Images

Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
beanbaguk453.50
      09-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Don't people miss the split screen of the BMW idrive
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
A little, but I did this in prep for the layout changes coming in iOS 13. The smaller screen before just doesn't jive well with the new layout.
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
beanbaguk453.50
      09-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #9
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastula View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
A little, but I did this in prep for the layout changes coming in iOS 13. The smaller screen before just doesn't jive well with the new layout.
Couldn't agree more. Been using full screen since iOS 13 public beta 1 and it's been great.

Google maps is brilliant also in satellite view but I do miss the HUD integration so I still use the BMW navigation which I believe is better anyway.

Brilliant value!
      10-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

If I do this full screen carplay, if I switch to BMW iDrive navigation, does it still work and look full screen? how about the other menu's like the main iDrive page or Car information?

Anyone have pictures of the full screen.

Are there any oddities with it? I pretty much only use carplay, and occasionally use the BMW navigation and periodically check the other car information pages - so would anything else change?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
If I do this full screen carplay, if I switch to BMW iDrive navigation, does it still work and look full screen? how about the other menu's like the main iDrive page or Car information?

Anyone have pictures of the full screen.

Are there any oddities with it? I pretty much only use carplay, and occasionally use the BMW navigation and periodically check the other car information pages - so would anything else change?
It's only full screen for CarPlay. It does not affect any other screen in iDrive. This means you can still use split screen anywhere else but CarPlay.

Regarding pics, what you see with my pic and others above is what you get.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #12
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awesome, thanks - the pics didn't work for me - but now that I think about it, maybe because I'm on a work network.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I can't find the website for OEM Navigations - all I could find was a website under construction and it doesn't have full screen carplay as a service. Any ideas where they are?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #14
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can't find the website for OEM Navigations - all I could find was a website under construction and it doesn't have full screen carplay as a service. Any ideas where they are?
Hmm, it does say that their site is under maintenance. I think if you contact him via WhatsApp you may get more answers. Interestingly enough, I saw a ton of sellers/resellers offering the same Full Screen Carplay activation service for a fraction of the price via eBay. They get a lot of 5 star reviews but I can't personally vouch for any.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #15
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, it does say that their site is under maintenance. I think if you contact him via WhatsApp you may get more answers. Interestingly enough, I saw a ton of sellers/resellers offering the same Full Screen Carplay activation service for a fraction of the price via eBay. They get a lot of 5 star reviews but I can't personally vouch for any.
Following some shoddy service in the past, I wouldn't trust any eBay sellers....
      10-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Following some shoddy service in the past, I wouldn't trust any eBay sellers....
Yep that's why I would wait for some company like ************** who knows what they are doing.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:47 PM   #17
1Guzman
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:

• ENET cable

• Tap "Find vehicle"

So what are the results?

Before:

After:

Hey, just wanted to say how helpful this post has been in my search to add CarPlay to my F30. But I do have a couple of questions. (1) Why go with the enet cable method instead of the usb? Wouldn’t it be better on a usb so you could have the actual code? (2) Besides opening up the head unit, how would you be able to tell if your car comes equipped with a wifi antenna or if you have to install one?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 02:37 AM   #18
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Guzman View Post
Hey, just wanted to say how helpful this post has been in my search to add CarPlay to my F30. But I do have a couple of questions. (1) Why go with the enet cable method instead of the usb? Wouldn’t it be better on a usb so you could have the actual code? (2) Besides opening up the head unit, how would you be able to tell if your car comes equipped with a wifi antenna or if you have to install one?

Thanks
USB method only works on software levels up to "N", For versions N and later ones ENET method is to be used.

If you have don't any of these three and very likely that you are missing the antenna :

06CP Preparation Apple CarPlay
06NW Telephony with wireless charging
06WD WLAN Hotspot

What year is your F30 ?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #19
ashatcher
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i

Does the update to full screen CarPlay affect the HUD of BMW Navigation? In other words, can you still get turn by turn directions with the graphics on the HUD? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashatcher View Post
Does the update to full screen CarPlay affect the HUD of BMW Navigation? In other words, can you still get turn by turn directions with the graphics on the HUD? Thx.
Nope it's the same. Turn by turn only works when you use BMW Nav instead of Apple Maps / Google Maps / Waze etc. If you want that to work in turn by turn, you'll need iDrive 7 (new car essentially).
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #21
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashatcher View Post
Yes, it works just fine with the BMW navigation 👌🏼
      12-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #22
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

question about this - i've been pondering it for a while.
i do like having the compass on the right side while carplay takes up 60-70% of the screen.
(if i drag the little separator to the right, then the compass goes away, and that carplay logo on the right shows up)

once you do this update, can you go back to the old functionality, like a toggle, so to speak?
Appreciate 1