BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis 530ex (pre-LCI) PHEV Eibach Prokit Review & Impressions

04-12-2024, 12:21 PM   #1
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
530ex (pre-LCI) PHEV Eibach Prokit Review & Impressions

When I first picked up my used 2018 530e X-drive M-sport I was always bothered by the 4x4 stance of the OEM setup. The wheel gap was far too wide for my liking and I spent lots of time researching good options to fix that. I found plenty of options, but nothing that specifically mentioned the hybrid models, or if they did it was grouped into the other non PHEV models. I was hesitant because of the extra 400-500 lbs of PHEV equipment we carry around. I did not like the idea of buying a compromized aftermark part hoping it would work. My biggest requirements were a spring setup that would be very street-able and not too low for DD requirements (come drive in Toronto and you'll know why). I was always leaning towards Eibachs for this reason as I have them on my older 330i (E90) and they were perfectly suited for this duty. They're progressive in nature so they handle the small imperfections well but then load up more as they become more compressed, which translates well for my DD duties. Long story short I ended up going with the following springs:

Eibach Prokits PT# E10-20-038-01-22 with F10 M6 bump stops PT# 31-33-7-847-472

The bump stops were recommended from another 530e user who went with H&R springs (too stiff and too low for my requirements). If you look up this part number Eibach doesn't specifically call out the pre-LCI models, nor do they mentioned x-drive, which was my the source of my initial hesitation. RealOEM didn't have the LCI models posted so I couldn't do any spring part number cross reference work to confirm. I eneded up at a friendly BMw parts department and they confirmed combatability between pre and post LCI 530xe m-sport models with respect to spring part numbers. That was the last peice of the puzzle and placed my order the next day.

It's been about 8 months since I've had this setup installed and I can say that I made the right decision. These springs have the perfect drop with NO decernable increase in ride NVH. You do notice the lack of suspension travel vs. the OEM springs on hard bumps when the springs reach the bump stops sooner, but that is to be expected when you lower any vehicle. I would even say there is a VERY small improvement, but it is very subtle. I do not drive this car agressively enough on public roads (that duty goes to my E90) to comment about how it handles vs. OEM. The difference is hard to describe so if anything it retains a very OEM feel. In other words there is nothing odd or different by going with these springs that should be noted. I wanted to post this for any other PHEV users who wanted a good aftermarket option without going with stiff riding H&R's or the overly expensive MSS option. I really like how even the drop looks, see my before and after measurements below:

Gaps measured from rim lip to fender lip at 12 o-clock

Front:
OEM 4 9/16"
Eibach 3 1/16"
Drop 1 1/2"

Rear:
OEM 4 1/4"
Eibach 2 7/8"
Drop 1 3/8"

Other random info that other users may find helpful:
- You need to remove the rear passenger shelf to access the rear spring mounts. That involves pulling the rear sear, side seat trim and upper shelf. I did this myself to help my installation costs (had the springs installed by my friendly indy shop). If you have a rear powered sun shade it can be a bit tedious. I would say the total time I spent was about 3-4 hours taking my time
- I was able to dig up an Alpina Spring installation guide for the G30 that was very helpful for the interior DIY work, I cannot find it currently but it was posted by some user.
-Pictures 4-6 were with my OEM style 759 wheels with 15mm FR and 20mm R spacers. The last two pics being with the OEM setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by Volasko; 04-15-2024 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 07:38 AM   #2
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

…what was the approximate installation cost with wheel alignment? I did the install at my local dealership, and my vehicle is 540i xdrive with adaptive drive using MSS (HAS) kit. As mentioned, the install was pretty involved especially at the rear though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 08:24 AM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
With the rear deck removed its a pretty straight forward swap as the G30 uses struts front and back. I think I was charged for 5-6 hours plus alignment.
Appreciate 0