BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Possessed 540

09-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Possessed 540

I got my first BMW 2 months ago, I've driven It about 3000 miles. It was a BMW executive car at their NJ HQ for the PGA tour. Coming off a one year lease with 12k miles I scooped it up. An old man drove the vehicle and it was taken care of and seems new. Either these cars are just sensitive or I'm headed for some headaches.

I've received the below errors in two months. They come on the screen and then they go away.

Weird grinding noise occasionally when I get in the car and hit the break pedal. Sounds like a grinding starter. Maybe it's done it about a dozen times. Dealer has no idea and never heard of the issue.

Low Coolant, how am I burning coolant in two months? Dealer says it's normal for a turbo to burn a lot of it.

Passenger restraint system error - nothing on the seat. Kept going off for a whole day. Now it went away. Appointment next week.

Driver assistance restricted - error came on then went away. Car seems to bounce all over the road never driving straight when it's on. Appointment next week.

Too add, the car wash scratch the hell out of my rim. Then I scratch the hell out of my windshield with a scotch brite pad. I'm getting the windshield replaced OEM from safelite tomorrow. They will calibrate it and if I have problems I have my appointment at BMW Later in the week. I'll add that another car put a nice scratch in my door. I have to buff it out. Also got a nail in my tire which was unusable after since it's a RFT. New tire.

All this said I love the car. I'm just a little nervous of what's ahead after my warranty is up. I see many of you coding your vehicles. What's a good place to start reading about that. If I keep the car after a few years I'm not going to bring it to the dealer when it's out of warranty for these issues. Do you all have similar issues, the car is basically computerized everything. So I guess some is expected, just weary of what's ahead.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Turbo to burn a lot of coolant? I'm no expert on cars but that sounds like BS to me.

You really have quite a few issues there but as it's only 12 months old at least it's under warranty but despite that , yes quite a few issues indeed.

(Wouldn't put a car through a car wash or let anyone wash my car for that matter! Most damage to a cars paintwork is done when it's washed)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 04:06 AM   #3
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Turbo to burn a lot of coolant? I'm no expert on cars but that sounds like BS to me.

You really have quite a few issues there but as it's only 12 months old at least it's under warranty but despite that , yes quite a few issues indeed.

(Wouldn't put a car through a car wash or let anyone wash my car for that matter! Most damage to a cars paintwork is done when it's washed)
Yeah. I was injured couldn't wash the car. I normally wash the car myself. Minor but just enough to piss you off. Hoping the other issues work out and don't haunt me. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I have had the passenger restraint system malfunction one several times, it took two trips to the dealer. Replaced a wiring harness and on the second trip replaced a pad in the seat.
So far so good.
      09-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Low coolant is a known issue in the G30. According to BMW assist, a bunch of cars were incorrectly filled at factory. These cars are starting to throw up low coolant level warning after a while as the pipes expand, etc. Dealer should know that.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Brake pedal issue is "normal". Or should I say common. Don't worry about it. My 2019 also does it on occasion.

Coolant issue is odd considering age of car. If it wasn't filled properly from new, it surely would have showed this warning before. And the turbo burning coolant? I'd say if it is there's another issue causing it. Ask dealer to check the heater hose TIB listed here.
https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tech...Engine-Cooling

Passenger restraint issue is likely in need of the passenger seat harness fix. There's a bulletin for it.

Driver Assist issue is hopefully just a software update. Ask dealer to check your iStep level and upgrade your car to latest. BTW, with lane keep assist on, on many roads the car tends to wander. It's just ok, not a great implentation. Let's say it's V1.
      09-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
I got my first BMW 2 months ago, I've driven It about 3000 miles. It was a BMW executive car at their NJ HQ for the PGA tour. Coming off a one year lease with 12k miles I scooped it up. An old man drove the vehicle and it was taken care of and seems new. Either these cars are just sensitive or I'm headed for some headaches.

I've received the below errors in two months. They come on the screen and then they go away.

Weird grinding noise occasionally when I get in the car and hit the break pedal. Sounds like a grinding starter. Maybe it's done it about a dozen times. Dealer has no idea and never heard of the issue.

Low Coolant, how am I burning coolant in two months? Dealer says it's normal for a turbo to burn a lot of it.

Passenger restraint system error - nothing on the seat. Kept going off for a whole day. Now it went away. Appointment next week.

Driver assistance restricted - error came on then went away. Car seems to bounce all over the road never driving straight when it's on. Appointment next week.

Too add, the car wash scratch the hell out of my rim. Then I scratch the hell out of my windshield with a scotch brite pad. I'm getting the windshield replaced OEM from safelite tomorrow. They will calibrate it and if I have problems I have my appointment at BMW Later in the week. I'll add that another car put a nice scratch in my door. I have to buff it out. Also got a nail in my tire which was unusable after since it's a RFT. New tire.

All this said I love the car. I'm just a little nervous of what's ahead after my warranty is up. I see many of you coding your vehicles. What's a good place to start reading about that. If I keep the car after a few years I'm not going to bring it to the dealer when it's out of warranty for these issues. Do you all have similar issues, the car is basically computerized everything. So I guess some is expected, just weary of what's ahead.
What is the build date of the vehicle? Take a look at the sticker on the driver's side door jamb.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:

What is the build date of the vehicle? Take a look at the sticker on the driver's side door jamb.
Oh and plan on purchasing a BMW extended warranty contract for peace of mind while the car is still under the new car warranty for better pricing. I highly recommend the "Platinum" coverage which is the most comprehensive plan and will take your coverage (Includes infotainment And electronics) for up to 7 years or 125K miles which ever comes first. The coverage counts from the vehicle first in-service date.

BMW warranties are excellent in my personal experience. $50 deductible per service visit and you are good to go.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
claykin1579.00
      09-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Oh and plan on purchasing a BMW extended warranty contract for peace of mind while the car is still under the new car warranty for better pricing. I highly recommend the "Platinum" coverage which is the most comprehensive plan and will take your coverage (Includes infotainment And electronics) for up to 7 years or 125K miles which ever comes first. The coverage counts from the vehicle first in-service date.

BMW warranties are excellent in my personal experience. $50 deductible per service visit and you are good to go.
Unless you have GEICO. If you do, you can get its "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance" which is a reasonably inexpensive OEM warranty extender that takes you to 7 years 100K miles with a deductible of $250 per incident. It is currently cost me about $13/month. I won't see any benefit until after four years but that still makes it an inexpensive alternative.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

April 2018
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Brake pedal issue is "normal". Or should I say common. Don't worry about it. My 2019 also does it on occasion.

Coolant issue is odd considering age of car. If it wasn't filled properly from new, it surely would have showed this warning before. And the turbo burning coolant? I'd say if it is there's another issue causing it. Ask dealer to check the heater hose TIB listed here.
https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tech...Engine-Cooling

Passenger restraint issue is likely in need of the passenger seat harness fix. There's a bulletin for it.

Driver Assist issue is hopefully just a software update. Ask dealer to check your iStep level and upgrade your car to latest. BTW, with lane keep assist on, on many roads the car tends to wander. It's just ok, not a great implentation. Let's say it's V1.
Awesome. Great info. I really appreciate the detail. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow and will certainly keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 02:57 AM   #12
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Low coolant is a known issue in the G30. According to BMW assist, a bunch of cars were incorrectly filled at factory. These cars are starting to throw up low coolant level warning after a while as the pipes expand, etc. Dealer should know that.
Interesting, I had the same issue. Coolant light came on at about 14000km.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      10-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #13
CT540xi
Rep
Drives: 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer5 View Post
I have had the passenger restraint system malfunction one several times, it took two trips to the dealer. Replaced a wiring harness and on the second trip replaced a pad in the seat.
So far so good.
Had something similar happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Possession continues. Now check engine light goes on and the front grill doesn't open.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Possession continues. Now check engine light goes on and the front grill doesn't open.
Did you take car in for them to check istep level? (software)

Regarding the front grill, others have had this issue. Dealer can easily fix.
      10-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #16
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 650i

Quote:
needs new motor for the grill. the grill not working will trigger a CEL. my car burns about 500ml of coolant in between every oil change since new, im at 17k miles now. i mentioned this at our last service, they pressure tested the system and found no leaks. I keep a bottle of the blue bmw coolant at home to top off when needed. the drivers assistance, adaptive, cruise, etc all stopped working in my car prior to the last service as well. they replaces all the sensors and cameras, costing several thousands of $ under warranty. never had any of your other problems.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #17
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Did you take car in for them to check istep level? (software)

Regarding the front grill, others have had this issue. Dealer can easily fix.
They refreshed it last visit. Reset my seat settings and favorites on Sirius lol the worst! I love the car though. I guess I'm glad things are going wrong as they are under warranty and they are very common issues from what I'm finding. As I pull in to move the car inside the dealer a warning goes across the dash. Low key battery. I'm like wtf. Just had her detailed yesterday too.
Appreciate 0