BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Deposit paid on 540i x (G30)

08-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Jams_123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i (G30)

Question Deposit paid on 540i x (G30)

Evening all,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've just put down a deposit on a 2017 G30 540i xDrive in the UK and should be picking it up next week. Super excited!

I can see a lot of people are also a little disappointed with the stock exhaust sound, and so I am in the market for a new back box exhaust.

I do a lot of motorway miles so want to avoid any drone, but would love it to be a bit more of a nuisance in Sport mode. Note, my car is a pre-OPF model.

I love the look of the AC Schnitzer black tips, and they have suggested the OPF variant for a more subtle sound. The reviews of ACS on here aren't exactly filling me with confidence, so I wondered if anyone could recommend an alternative readily available in the UK please?

I can see Remus and Dinan are popular, but they probably sound a bit too loud for what I'm looking for.

Keen to hear any other ideas, or a more balanced view on the ACS exhaust.

Cheers guys!

J
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

I have a 2019 540xi M Sport and also wanted a sportier exhaust sound. I went with the BMW M Performance exhaust kit and had my dealer install it. About $2,100 installed as they gave me a parts price that was close to other internet prices and the labor to install was only $225 (Per BMW; the exhaust is available through the BMW parts or car website and specifies that labor cost). Parts costs included muffler, clamp, plug cover for exhaust valve electrical plug, tips and valance. I asked that they save and give me all all the takeoff parts in case I decide I don't like it and want to reinstall the original; they now reside in my garage.

The sound if definitely louder, especially on initial start up and it sounds great when you use your paddle shifters, which I do from time to time. Via Bimmercode I have set my car to always start in Sport, rather than Comfort, and when I push the shift lever left in to "S" mode (but leave it automatic) it also sounds good. There is some resonance in the 2,000-2,400 rpm range, primarily at shifts under moderate throttle, as the engine seems to end up in that range after each shift. On the highway and most of the time around town I don't find resonance or excessive noise to be obvious or objectionable. If my wife is in the car I am less aggressive on the throttle so it is a bit quieter in general and on shifting. Under heavy throttle in Sport it really bangs the shifts with a fairly loud noise that I generally characterize as a fart. Despite that characterization, I don't find it objectionable when I am accelerating hard; it just make a loud noise on hard throttle shifts. Overall I am OK with it at this point and plan to keep it unless my wife objects strenuously, which she has not so far. In fact, neither she nor a number of passengers I've had have commented on the louder exhaust. The look of the tips is fairly stock BMW, which is fine with me. Anyway, I hope that helps. My suggestion is that you find someone in your area who has also gotten this or another exhaust and see if you can get a ride. Good luck with your quest. You will enjoy the car in any event. ---Bob
Attached Images

Last edited by Warp Ten; 08-30-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
has_ak
Private
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jams_123 View Post
Evening all,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've just put down a deposit on a 2017 G30 540i xDrive in the UK and should be picking it up next week. Super excited!

I can see a lot of people are also a little disappointed with the stock exhaust sound, and so I am in the market for a new back box exhaust.

I do a lot of motorway miles so want to avoid any drone, but would love it to be a bit more of a nuisance in Sport mode. Note, my car is a pre-OPF model.

I love the look of the AC Schnitzer black tips, and they have suggested the OPF variant for a more subtle sound. The reviews of ACS on here aren't exactly filling me with confidence, so I wondered if anyone could recommend an alternative readily available in the UK please?

I can see Remus and Dinan are popular, but they probably sound a bit too loud for what I'm looking for.

Keen to hear any other ideas, or a more balanced view on the ACS exhaust.

Cheers guys!

J
I've just had the ACS exhaust fitted, OPF version. I've done both motorway and city driving. I don't know why it took me this long to get it to be honest. Im a huge fan of it. Haven't had issues with drone or anything. The look and sound transforms the car completely. My advice is done hesitate and go for it. And definitely go for the black tips. It is quite loud on start up though but quietens down few seconds later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Jams_123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by has_ak View Post
I've just had the ACS exhaust fitted, OPF version. I've done both motorway and city driving. I don't know why it took me this long to get it to be honest. Im a huge fan of it. Haven't had issues with drone or anything. The look and sound transforms the car completely. My advice is done hesitate and go for it. And definitely go for the black tips. It is quite loud on start up though but quietens down few seconds later.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, both. After speaking to BMW, it doesn't sound like the M Performance exhaust is available in the UK at all(?).

I have to say tho, that ACS with black tips looks sexy AF!!!

What diffuser have you put it with?

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see some more pics and hear some sound clips if you have any?

Thanks very much!

J
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Jams_123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also .... not wanting to completely rip off your look, but please take it as a compliment

..... what CF spoiler is that you have fitted?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:52 AM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I thought I read somewhere about new regulations that have come in as regards exhausts which might explain why it's no longer available.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
has_ak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply, both. After speaking to BMW, it doesn't sound like the M Performance exhaust is available in the UK at all(?).

I have to say tho, that ACS with black tips looks sexy AF!!!

What diffuser have you put it with?

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see some more pics and hear some sound clips if you have any?

Thanks very much!

J
Will get some more photos and video clips for you during the weekend. The diffuser was off of eBay as was the spoiler. Will try find the link to them.

Regarding the m performance exhaust. The new cars had euro 6 engines so had to have opf exhausts fitted. For pre-july 2018 you can get the standard m performance exhausts. You can find it on the bmw website.

https://shop.bmw.co.uk/INTERSHOP/web...ll_or_TID_JB52

H
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
Jams_123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks buddy. I'm pretty sold on the ACS exhaust now. Really keen to see those eBay links if you're able to track them down please?

Did they go on OK? How's the fit and finish generally?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
has_ak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks buddy. I'm pretty sold on the ACS exhaust now. Really keen to see those eBay links if you're able to track them down please?

Did they go on OK? How's the fit and finish generally?
They fit very well, but only issue as few others have stated is that the boot won't open or close with the feet anymore due to the sensor being covered. Not sure if there is a way around it.

Will get the video up for you this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Jams_123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine doesn't have the boot kicker so it's not a feature I'll miss

Would be great if you could find those eBay links for the rear diffuser and spoiler too please!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
ppham5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Here is the link for the spoiler. I have the same one and it fitted perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-2017-19...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
tomjoml
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive M Sport

Try a resonator delete

If you want a sportier sound with no drone, but aren't quite ready to fork out for the full Remus system yet then try a mid resonator delete.

Mine is also de-cat so it's more whistles and pops than you'd have on stock. Takes about an hour and will cost you about £100.

Last edited by tomjoml; 09-12-2019 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
has_ak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Mine doesn't have the boot kicker so it's not a feature I'll miss

Would be great if you could find those eBay links for the rear diffuser and spoiler too please!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fi...sAAOSwe~lcpOSf

The rear diffuser i don't have a link for because the guys who fit the exhaust ordered it for me as part of the deal. But they showed me the link on eBay. Just search G30 spoiler and many would appear.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
has_ak
Private
Rep

Cold start so didn't really rev it much
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #15
Jams_123
Enlisted Member
Rep

That does sound pretty good! Thanks for taking the time to post mate.

Who did your installation, if you don't mind me asking? I'm based in Wiltshire but travel all over for work. I like the idea of using someone who has experience of the parts.

The diffuser actually looks like the genuine part(?):

https://shop.bmw.co.uk/INTERSHOP/web...oryDomainName=
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #16
Jams_123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham5 View Post
Here is the link for the spoiler. I have the same one and it fitted perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-2017-19...72.m2749.l2649
Ordered and incoming, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #17
has_ak
Private
Rep

Quote:
That does sound pretty good! Thanks for taking the time to post mate.

Who did your installation, if you don't mind me asking? I'm based in Wiltshire but travel all over for work. I like the idea of using someone who has experience of the parts.

The diffuser actually looks like the genuine part(?):

https://shop.bmw.co.uk/INTERSHOP/web...oryDomainName=
Yep it looks similar to the original part. But not that expensive thankfully. I had everything done at Mstyle in Romford. But you can go through the ACS website to find a dealer/fitter closest to you.
Appreciate 0