BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions First Real Life Look at G30 5 Series LCI Facelift - from BMW Welt

06-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #23
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Finally something better to look at it at front page. Lol
She is nice. LOVE the grilles—perfectly proportioned. Don't see how they could not have made the lights somewhat taller and made the LEDs circular...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #24
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Not a big fan of the front bumper design and the front headlights are nicked from the 2020 skoda octavia... but the rear lights look cool
Indeed, Skoda Octavia or Jag XJ, take your pick:

Wow! You weren't kidding...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
krizze924.00
      06-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #25
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Um... well what can I say that's positive...

I guess I like the darker more modern tail lights better
      06-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #26
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
Not a big fan of the front bumper design and the front headlights are nicked from the 2020 skoda octavia...
Are you aware of the fact that the 5 LCI headlights were very probably greenlight years before the reveal of the 2020 Skoda Octavia last last year?
Well, then the same would go for Skoda. However, as this was just a LCI, and the Skoda a new gen, I'm not sure if this applies. Nevertheless, it is sad to see what currently happens to the Angel Eyes...
Appreciate 1
krizze924.00
      06-04-2020, 12:39 AM   #27
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Are you aware the new Octavia has been in development for over 2 years? And which car came out first?.
Are you saying BMW should have gone back to the drawing board and delay the LCI for 1-2 years when they realized Skoda developped somewhat similar headlights in parallel?

I guess not, so yeah, you can complain that it looks similar, but I'm not sure why you make it sounds like BMW designers took a look at the new Octavia, liked what they saw, and stole the design for the 5 LCI. Pretty sure that's not how it went down.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:41 AM   #28
SweEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EV6 GT-line

I do think that this LCI works best with dark paints, since the tail lamps have too much black parts that blend in with the darker paints in a good way.
It's understandable that when a heavy LCI is in the works it's difficult to make everybody like it.
But to all of you who claim that it looks just like VAG group cars I have small surprise for you. Concept VFL was introduced way back in 2014, believe it or not the LCI takes a lot of inspiration from there considering the headlights. Although I think it could have been better executed.
I'd say that VAG group were inspired from Concept VFL and they did probably copy the design.
Having said that, I think Concept VFL is the most beautiful luxury concept and I hope BMW keeps evolving that design into future cars.
I might not be a complete fan of the new LCI but it might grow on me.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 02:52 AM   #29
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Quote:
Are you aware the new Octavia has been in development for over 2 years? And which car came out first?.
Are you saying BMW should have gone back to the drawing board and delay the LCI for 1-2 years when they realized Skoda developped somewhat similar headlights in parallel?

I guess not, so yeah, you can complain that it looks similar, but I'm not sure why you make it sounds like BMW designers took a look at the new Octavia, liked what they saw, and stole the design for the 5 LCI. Pretty sure that's not how it went down.
Jesus you must be fun at parties frankly I don't really care how it all went down, the fact of the matter is it looks like a Skoda at the front and the fact you're being ignorant and arguing the fact isn't my problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 03:25 AM   #30
SweEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EV6 GT-line

We could probably blaim Jozef Kaban for the mess. When he came to BMW I instantly knew that we would see more of the Skoda tail and headlight design. Instead of following the heritage and the concept I mentioned earlier he rather messed up.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #31
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jesus you must be fun at parties frankly I don't really care how it all went down, the fact of the matter is it looks like a Skoda at the front and the fact you're being ignorant and arguing the fact isn't my problem.
Why people around here take everything so personal?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #32
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The DRLs might look similar, but the overall headlights tech is different.
The LCI 5 is more aggressive now with this design!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #33
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

The more I see it, more I get used to it. They wouldn't put me off buying one but overall there is nothing to persuade me to trade in my current 540.

At least it doesn't have the grills from the 7 or 4!
Maybe the next 5 in ~3 years may do though!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #34
brokeboi
Private
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Indeed, Skoda Octavia or Jag XJ, take your pick:
I'll pick the VW Golf.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #35
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think the LCI looks really good, gives a real lift to what was a pretty safe characterless design.

Look's nothing like a Skoda or the Jag I don't get those references at all, people seem to have a downer on BMW at the moment (well actually everything else as well) saw new 1er hatch today and that looked great too.
      06-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #36
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Timmuc Any internal pics?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #37
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think the LCI looks really good, gives a real lift to what was a pretty safe characterless design.

Look's nothing like a Skoda or the Jag I don't get those references at all, people seem to have a downer on BMW at the moment (well actually everything else as well) saw new 1er hatch today and that looked great too.
That may be it but the headlights are straight from the VAG parts shelf. And I am still on the fence about the added 1.2 inches in length at the front to further slant the front end of the car.

Most people haven't commented on this but the car has a pronounced "underbite" within the hood shut line at the center and where you can see the center of the grille between the kidneys sticks out quite a bit out.

If you own a current G30 you'll understand what I am referring to. The grille under bite doesn't exist in the pre-LCI G30 as the center hood shut line aligns perfectly with the center of the grille.

Not a bad LCI overall but the headlights are definitely a point of contention among many.

At least the car for the remaining of its production cycle will keep its signature and proper Hoffmeister kink.

I would argue the G30 is one of the last remaining BMWs that still pay homage to traditional BMW design DNA elements.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #38
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Can we anticipate the chrome trim again on the m550 lower front bumper air vents?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 06:08 AM   #39
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Karim left BMW as he was not happy with the new direction lead by Adrian, at one stage we thought Karim was to take over leadership, but unfortunatly it was Adrian with his new direction based around killing all the BM design trade marks like The Hofmeister kink and the corona led ring maybe the plunkers confused the lights with the virus.
Quote:
Plus Adrian Van Hooydonk although Adrian designed the E63/4 under Chris Bangle and in my opinion (it is a marmite design), I love the design so I wont be too harsh on him
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #40
JJ002
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW M3

Have to say I'm on board with this ... there's proportion, there's beauty, there's style ... seems to me a much better and more beautiful upgrade that incorporates excellent BMW design cues than, say, the new 4-series, which I don't like at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #41
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
That may be it but the headlights are straight from the VAG parts shelf. And I am still on the fence about the added 1.2 inches in length at the front to further slant the front end of the car.

Most people haven't commented on this but the car has a pronounced "underbite" within the hood shut line at the center and where you can see the center of the grille between the kidneys sticks out quite a bit out.

If you own a current G30 you'll understand what I am referring to. The grille under bite doesn't exist in the pre-LCI G30 as the center hood shut line aligns perfectly with the center of the grille.

Not a bad LCI overall but the headlights are definitely a point of contention among many.

At least the car for the remaining of its production cycle will keep its signature and proper Hoffmeister kink.

I would argue the G30 is one of the last remaining BMWs that still pay homage to traditional BMW design DNA elements.
I'd say that's an awful lot of over thinking for what is just a work a day daily driver. It's not a work of art and never has been just a medium sized family saloon.

But while we're talking design the 5er shows the Skoda how to design a front end and keep within the current regulations, the dreadful "fall" on the front hood of the Skoda is woeful and absent from the 5er...

As I said a smart looking car and makes the Skoda look like a half assed effort which of course it is at that price point.
      06-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #42
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

I'd say that's an awful lot of over thinking for what is just a work a day daily driver. It's not a work of art and never has been just a medium sized family saloon.

But while we're talking design the 5er shows the Skoda how to design a front end and keep within the current regulations, the dreadful "fall" on the front hood of the Skoda is woeful and absent from the 5er...

As I said a smart looking car and makes the Skoda look like a half assed effort which of course it is at that price point.
Just observations my friend. Mine is a daily driver too...

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #43
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Just observations my friend. Mine is a daily driver too...
Of course it's a daily driver it's 5 series what else would it be....but it's hugely more resolved than the Skoda.
      06-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #44
Roberto71
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB E220d

Quote:

I see what you mean on the underbite. You can see it clearly here. Does that mean they kept the same bonnet structure but the extra stretch on the grill etc means the bonnet is now a tad too short?
Attached Images