BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Map Updates (UK)

03-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #45
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintalan View Post
HiBluefoz, can I just ask if you have Remote Services that has enabled Maps update.

I only got my car today so early days and just checking a few things. On my list on your 3rd link there is no Maps link. I will buy Remote Services tomorrow as had always expected that but at the mo its showing Maps at the £69 price also.

Cheers

Alan
I think the feeling was that remote services was not required or essential for usb map updates or OTA updates. I have remote services and neither update as do others.

Can you log into the connected drive website, go to remote cockpit and see what services are booked (That's what the car has on board already) and see what can be booked?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 02:36 AM   #46
saintalan
England
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (2018)

Thanks Dephead, yes it says that I can book maps and remote services, so was just wondering when I buy Remote Services (for 3D view etc) I still have to buy map updates.

Which (wrongly) I thought were standard.

Thanks, Alan
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 02:58 AM   #47
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Remote Services is a gimmick, you can play with for a few days and then it is boring

Open/Close car remotely, flash headlights, turn air-con on, check status...

But Connected Drive App lets you do all you really need without the extra cost of Remote Services... like setting destination and sending to Sat NAV via Google maps, or the map tool in the Connected App...

The USB map update is a separate subscription £69 for 2 years...

What I don't understand is why I have it, and I did not subscribe to that service
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #48
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree with Remote Serrvices comment and notice that in the latest configurator where many prices have increased, Remote Services have become FOC. BTW it's very difficult now to spec a 5 series at under £40k when the tax adds significantly to running costs.

Back to maps.

My understanding at the moment is that USB and OTA maps should be FOC for 3 years. This from the Spec sheet dated July 2017:
Like all of us, I have option 609 and it says on the 7th July spec sheet for G30/G31 for that option

Additional information:
Update for the navigation map data3 years licence free worldwide from BMW retailer. This is the USB option
Update for navigation map data Over the air (OTA). 3 years automatic updates free of charge for up to 4 per year for a single selected country

So no-one should be paying £69 for USB updates and they should be showing as "booked" in the Remote Cockpit at Connected Drive. Example above (see post 26 from AP).

Spoke with Dealer toady. Main contact is away until tomorrow but service manager says there are all sorts of problems with Connected Drive at the moment. I pointed out that this was a problem from 4 months ago when the car was built and so not a recent problem.

More when I have it
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 05:53 AM   #49
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dephead, yes it says that I can book maps and remote services, so was just wondering when I buy Remote Services (for 3D view etc) I still have to buy map updates.

Which (wrongly) I thought were standard.

Thanks, Alan
Yes you can book these services but they should already be booked and applied to your car FOC showing under the booked services heading in remote cockpit part of connected drive after you log in.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #50
saintalan
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
Yes you can book these services but they should already be booked and applied to your car FOC showing under the booked services heading in remote cockpit part of connected drive after you log in.
Thanks all for comments, I think it may be that I did not order Remote Services (6AP) initially, so if I had it would be there. However I forgot (or didn't read configurator properly) but contacted BMW and they said I could buy it later which I did.

The comments above re free maps is interesting and I will pursue this with Connected Drive Customer Services. perhaps we all should! If I do have to buy it, I will maybe leave it until I have a significant trip where its needed and start the 2 years from then.

Cheers

Alan (Day 2)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #51
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all for comments, I think it may be that I did not order Remote Services (6AP) initially, so if I had it would be there. However I forgot (or didn't read configurator properly) but contacted BMW and they said I could buy it later which I did.

The comments above re free maps is interesting and I will pursue this with Connected Drive Customer Services. perhaps we all should! If I do have to buy it, I will maybe leave it until I have a significant trip where its needed and start the 2 years from then.

Cheers

Alan (Day 2)
Still don't think it's anything to do with Remote Services as I had that from the factory.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with Connected Drive Services. They just told me I didn't have it booked and to contact the dealer. I took this to mean that they cannot/will not install remotely. Although they'd take £69 for the USB updates!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #52
saintalan
England
Rep

Quote:
Still don't think it's anything to do with Remote Services as I had that from the factory.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with Connected Drive Services. They just told me I didn't have it booked and to contact the dealer. I took this to mean that they cannot/will not install remotely. Although they'd take £69 for the USB updates!
Thanks Dephead, will keep all updated. As far as I can see there has been no option to add Map Updates in the configurator, which I assume means everybody has to buy it. Although bet that's not the case!

I quoted your bit about being included and a copy from the brochure I had. It's bizarre they include RTTI but not updates, doesn't that mean they would need various options for non updated maps?

Say the system wanted to divert you to a road not on your map

Cheers

Alan
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #53
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dephead, will keep all updated. As far as I can see there has been no option to add Map Updates in the configurator, which I assume means everybody has to buy it. Although bet that's not the case!

I quoted your bit about being included and a copy from the brochure I had. It's bizarre they include RTTI but not updates, doesn't that mean they would need various options for non updated maps?

Say the system wanted to divert you to a road not on your map

Cheers

Alan
Here's the spec sheet which suggests that USB and OTA should be FOC with any G30 or G31. Glance at Additional Information
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #54
saintalan
England
Rep

Have not heard back yet from BMW but believe they will say OTA is free but USB is a paid option. The store explicitly calls it USB MAP UPDATE.

The difference being OTA is country specific whereas USB includes all your maps if applicable.

Apologies if that's obvious .

Thanks

Alan
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #55
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE

Dealer called back.

BMW UK are aware of the issue of OTA map updates not working across many areas. It is being worked on at high level and was known about before the dealer brought it to the attention of BMW UK.

They are attempting to resolve and overnight on 06/03/018 pushed out an update. (Didn't work for me when checked on 07/03/18 1200.)

They have another customer who had paid for but not received USB updates. Dealer purchased USB and updated and now customer reports that Nav is running VERY slowly. This customer is booked in on 16/03. I am booked in for a closer look on 20/03.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #56
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Have not heard back yet from BMW but believe they will say OTA is free but USB is a paid option. The store explicitly calls it USB MAP UPDATE.

The difference being OTA is country specific whereas USB includes all your maps if applicable.

Apologies if that's obvious .

Thanks

Alan
Yes I think you are correct. I was hopeful but deluded
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #57
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:

Vehicle went in on Tuesday to sort out the failure to update to 2018-1 from 2017-3. (Was there ever a 2017-4?)

BMW checked the vehicle and found everything is as it should be with the vehicle itself.

They asked me to go in with my phone today.

The key reader confirmed that there is a 2018-1 update. It has not been applied to my vehicle and they can't make it apply. They tried using software on the Service Manager's screen. (BTW it's scary what's saved on the key eg You opened the bonnet whilst the ignition was on)

Someone reported that my phone did NOT show all the permissions that it should do. They suspect that it's a Connected Drive problem. (As we guessed all along)

I had anonymously used the info about booked services in Connected Drive from AP to show that his and mine were different.

The genius is back tomorrow so further investigations will take place on Monday. I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #58
saintalan
England
Rep

Quote:
Update:

Vehicle went in on Tuesday to sort out the failure to update to 2018-1 from 2017-3. (Was there ever a 2017-4?)
Hi, interesting info!

Mine came with Map 2017-4 and it remains. Still not heard back from Connected support.

I have to take my car in next week because I have a cc message "Emergency call can not be made" - call in at your convenience to check. So I will ask them to check map OTA.

Cheers

Alan
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #59
saintalan
England
Rep

Received the following this morning, I have to say the contact who I have used before is first class.

"Thanks for being patient whilst I investigate your lack of map update subscriptions.

I would like to confirm that a USB Map Update and Automatic Map Update subscription has been added to your car. They both expire 30 January 2021.

With “automatic map updates”, your navigation will update via over the air updates. I’m afraid there is no way to prompt this to happen, it will update when a version is available for your car.

Alternatively, you can update your navigation by download using your ConnectedDrive “remote cockpit” here.

I hope this information is of use to you, but if there’s anything else I can help you with please get back in touch. "

It is now showing in my account although have not checked car yet.

Cheers

Alan
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #60
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I wonder if dealers are forgetting to add this which might explain why some of us have this and others do not.

I updated mine at the weekend via usb to 2018-1 , took about 25 minutes to complete.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #61
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I updated mine on Saturday as well. Can't believe that the USB route requires you to download a 29GB file (compressed). As they are doing over the air updates, clearly there's another route with smaller file size. Why can't they follow the same route for USB update as well. :
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #62
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think the Ota upgrades are partial and just for your own country where as at least in Europe the usb update is for the whole or most of Europe.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #63
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I think the Ota upgrades are partial and just for your own country where as at least in Europe the usb update is for the whole or most of Europe.
I feel they almost replace the entire maps with USB update whereas OTA is simply updates to existing database. Who knows :
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #64
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
That's right.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #65
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Received the following this morning, I have to say the contact who I have used before is first class.

"Thanks for being patient whilst I investigate your lack of map update subscriptions.

I would like to confirm that a USB Map Update and Automatic Map Update subscription has been added to your car. They both expire 30 January 2021.

With “automatic map updates”, your navigation will update via over the air updates. I’m afraid there is no way to prompt this to happen, it will update when a version is available for your car.

Alternatively, you can update your navigation by download using your ConnectedDrive “remote cockpit” here.

I hope this information is of use to you, but if there’s anything else I can help you with please get back in touch. "

Cheers

Alan
Alan, was this contract at connected drive or the dealer. My conversation and emails with connected drive were unhelpful. They said speak to the dealer there's nothing we can do.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #66
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Cheers

Alan
I also noticed that they added USB updates. Was this a foc compensation or had you paid for it at some stage. £69?
Appreciate 0