BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Need your honest feedback about BMWCCA

11-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #89
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

1. YES
2. BMW NC
4. attended zero meetings
5. How about responding to newcomer's emails ? And send local chapter welcome information letter. Or is that too much to ask ?
6. Discounts that I can use, like more clarity on the michelin discount
7. October Fest
8. Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects? YES
9. I joined last summer and got nothing out of it sofar. Emailed local chapter got reply from the president that he was no longer in charge. Forwarded email. No response. Wasted money ,
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #90
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Because I am a crazy person and organize events, I reached out to BMWCCA for support in the 15 years of E46 M3 event. While I chatted with them, I got on the topic about how to entice BMW Enthusiasts and younger members to join the national club.

Short story is I have the blessing of BMWCCA to make this post to gather feedback on how BMWCCA can offer more things to have enthusiasts and younger members join the national club.

Please post your honest replies below and I will gather them to send to national. Please also ask all of your friends to chime no matter what their thoughts are so I can present their feelings to national.

Forum admins, please help forum members find this so we can get our voices heard. Also please add your comments on how BMWCCA could support the forum if they are not already doing so. The forums are the backbone of the enthusiast community so we need your input whether good or bad.

If people cannot reply to the forums please have them email me at norcal.drivers@gmail.com with the questions below.

GREAT POST!!!! Here's my $0.02......

1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently?
Yes.

2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)?
CT Valley Region

3. If you are not a member, what was the reason for not joining?
I am a member

4. Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter?
Unfortunately no. Always seems to be some kind of conflict for me. Weekday events are these evening "socials" which don't seem to be about real car enthusiast type of stuff. Weekend events are too few and too sporadic.

5. What are activities you would like to see the BMW chapters do in your area?
1. A fixed, regularly occuring "cruise night" type of gathering that enthusiasts can count on. If it happens every week at the same place and time, then people will at least be able to make it several times per year around the other priorities in their lives

2. Group drives through the mountains, countryside, etc. This is really fun. It can even be a two day event over a weekend. We just need more of them.

6. What activities would you like to see on a national level?
More big regional meets. There should be a meet over a weekend that you don't have to drive more than 300 miles to get to. Should involve social and driving events.

7. What type of programs would you like to see BMWCCA support?
Charity fundraising

8. Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects?
Absolutely. Discounts with popular BMW aftermarket vendors would certainly increase membership

9. Open comment / suggestion.

BMWCCA needs to involve the aftermarket/tuning/racing communities more and help bridge the gap with mainstream BMWUSA. Wouldn't it be great to have an aftermarket vendor show at a BMW car dealership for example.

Last edited by LarThaL; 11-10-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #91
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
9. Open comment / suggestion.

BMWCCA needs to involve the aftermarket/tuning/racing communities more and help bridge the gap with mainstream BMUSA. Wouldn't it be great to have an aftermarket vendor show at a BMW car dealership for example.
I think the problem is that the dealership will have a competitor advertise on their grounds with competing products.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #92
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think the problem is that the dealership will have a competitor advertise on their grounds with competing products.
People who buy aftermarket do their research anyway. However, let's say the dealership offers a discounted install price on any part bought at the show that day. It would be a win scenario for the everyone....

1. The vendor would likely sell more products

2. The consumer would get a good deal

3. The dealership would get cash business that they would otherwise not get at all
      11-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #93
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD

1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently? no used to be.

2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)?pacific northwest-seattle

3. If you are not a member, what was the reason for not joining? joined and quit one year later.

4. Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter? yes one track day

8. Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects? yes and no. as stated above most of us find parts thru each other and forums at much greater discount and or have sponsorship/discount agreements with several vendors.

9. Open comment / suggestion. I found the track days(part im interested in) frustrating and too regulated. the instruction was poor, low amount of track time, cost was highish, and they refused to move me into a higher group although i run advanced every where else.
I have similar answers and completely agree on #9. I attended a few BMWCCA days here in the NW and found them over-regulated and instruction was very inconsistent and poor, with very limited track time. One particular day sticks in my head. This is when I've been already doing two years of trackdays, yet they insisted on having an instructor with me. Now I understand a one session check-ride, but the instructor wanted to sit with me all through the day. On the third session, the session starts and I cannot find my instructor. I had to run all over the paddock looking for him, to find him chatting with his friends. This was very frustrating because a) I paid for the day, and b) They only ran four measly sessions. Also I'm a safe consistent driver yet it took my instructor three sessions before he finally signed me off as solo. and he was particularly bad at instruction, showing me incorrect lines. I have nothing against instruction, infact I often seek out instruction at other events but having a poor instructor forced upon me, and then he's not even ready to go when session starts - was a decider for me - to stay forever away from BMWCCA events.

These trackdays may be good for first-timers but I stay away now.

Last edited by w00tw00t; 11-10-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #94
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
I have similar answers and completely agree on #9. I attended a few BMWCCA days here in the NW and found them over-regulated and instruction was very inconsistent and poor, with very limited track time. One particular day sticks in my head. This is when I've been already doing two years of trackdays, yet they insisted on having an instructor with me. Now I understand a one session check-ride, but the instructor wanted to sit with me all through the day. On the third session, the session starts and I cannot find my instructor. I had to run all over the paddock looking for him, to find him chatting with his friends. This was very frustrating because a) I paid for the day, and b) They only ran four measly sessions. Also I'm a safe consistent driver yet it took my instructor three sessions before he finally signed me off as solo. and he was particularly bad at instruction, showing me incorrect lines. I have nothing against instruction, infact I often seek out instruction at other events but having a poor instructor forced upon me, and then he's not even ready to go when session starts - was a decider for me - to stay forever away from BMWCCA events.
I think that depends on the chapter and who's running it. BMWCCA does have some general rules mostly for (I believe) insurance reasons like convertible restrictions. I just ran with the Badger Chapter at Road America and it was very well run. They do a 3 day event with Friday being a quasi-open track day for advanced students and instructors. So when you get to Saturday (4 sessions/day) and Sunday...you've got plenty of track time already.

There is a trend. You get certain DE orgs which tout 6 sessions per day. When you think about the beginner and intermediate students...you'll wear out your instructors really quickly or you'll never get enough that want to come. Those same DE orgs that have 6 sessions a day...I have seen numerous issues with novice drivers going out in the wrong run group, no grid control, very unsafe and out of control advanced drivers, poor traffic flow and basic chaos. Not dangerous in itself but when you compound a couple of things together its a disaster in the waiting. Generally you'll see the well run HPDEs that require instructors for novice and intermediate drivers only have 4 sessions/day.

Not saying anything against you...I've seen plenty of drivers with lots of driving time that I would never solo qualify. IMO, being solo'd has nothing to do with seat time or how fast you go. There's one general attribute you must have and that's safety. There are a couple of things that make a driver safe that a driver must expertly demonstrate before I put my name on the line to solo qualify someone. I'm protecting the student and all of the other drivers on the track.

If you felt like you had a bad instructor or disagreed with his lines...take that up with the instructor and ask him to explain or defend. If an instructor gets defensive, tries to BS you, or refuses to explain...then I could say he is a poor instructor. Then take it up with the chief driving instructor. Did you ask if the instructor felt you were worthy of being solo qualified? That is also a conversation that needs to take place. Not just a yes or no.

With that said, the CDI needs to hold that instructor accountable for you missing time on the track because the instructor was socializing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
People who buy aftermarket do their research anyway. However, let's say the dealership offers a discounted install price on any part bought at the show that day. It would be a win scenario for the everyone....

1. The vendor would likely sell more products

2. The consumer would get a good deal

3. The dealership would get cash business that they would otherwise not get at all
Most dealerships don't want that kind of work. They make their money on warranty work using established procedures. Not custom one-off work...generally speaking. I think if its Dinan or BMW performance related then I think it would make all parties happy.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue

Last edited by bigjae1976; 11-10-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #95
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

1. No. I let my membership to Golden Gate Chapter lapse several years ago. I will likely restart in order to get the rebate

2. San Diego

3. track days are 3x the cost of other organizations. I get that BMWCCA is supposed to have better instruction and more safety but I have had good experiences with NASA, hookedondriving and other organizations and disagree that it is "total chaos" at groups that are cheaper and offer more track time. I would like to try a BMWCCA day again here in my local chapter but it is a pretty tough sell for me to pay more to drive less on the hope that I get a "better instructor" (I have been to one BMWCCA day, and had a fine instructor but he wasn't 3x better and I certainly did not get 3x the track time). As an example, I did a track day in Toronto last year, and it was pretty much all you can drive and the instructor was an ex corvette factory test driver who happened to be friends with the organizer. Amazing instruction, huge amounts of seat time, and lower cost than BMWCCA

4. Attended GGC Laguna Seca track day several years ago

5. More track days at a lower cost

6. Discounts to do the M school in South Carolina

7. Group european delivery, with special access to other areas of Welt and planned track days and other events for members who took delivery at the same time

8. Yes. Especially Euro only parts such as the more powerful motor for the E36 M3 or CSL parts for E46

9. BMW needs to up the performance of the 1er and 3er to really attract younger people. On the new car market gearheads can get E92 M3 performance for 320 prices (i.e. Mustang GT) or spend M3 money and get more performance with Corvette, Camaro ZL1. Then there is the used car market, where an Evo VIII or IX will outperform an M3 of the same vintage. The car club can't do anything about this, BMW has to make the product have more HP.

BMWCCA and BMW should keep in mind that for many younger people a key introduction into the car world is video games like Gran Turismo, and cars like the EVO are the starter "competitive" cars in the game, and bolts on and other mods are cheap and can get the player very far into the game. the BMW cars are for later, when the video game character has more money and achieved success with the modified EVO or GTR type cars and the BMW are just to fill out the garage or maybe do some one make races in.

This perception could change if more of the 1,197 cars in GT6 were more attainable BMWs. for example, there is no 335i or 335is or 1M in the game.. cars that would be realistic competitors for younger enthusiasts' money in real life.

Last edited by nicknaz; 11-10-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #96
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

Member since 1998. Mainly remain for...
1) Roundel
2) New car rebates
3) Raffle (which I won in 2006)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #97
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo//SD View Post
Member since 1998. Mainly remain for...
1) Roundel
2) New car rebates
3) Raffle (which I won in 2006)
I won a raffle car in '92.
That will pay for my membership for the rest of my life.
      11-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #98
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Not sure those of you who are members saw, BMWCCA just sent out a survey which I only can surmise is because of the efforts I am doing to help. Or maybe it was just timing… LOL

Summary of the replies to the questions below across 25 threads I posted.

Complaint questions

Are you a BMWCCA member currently?

a. 70% - YES
b. 30% - NO

What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)?
a. Most of the US replied. No Sacramento or LA area replies or I missed them.

If you are not a member, what was the reason for not joining?
a. Cost of membership is too high.
b. No local activities for remote owners and events are too far away.
c. Discounts on items are cheaper from online members that dealer.
d. Club track / autocross events are to expensive compared to others.
e. Benefits are not worth the cost
f. Poor advertising and had no idea about BMWCCA.

Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter?
a. 70% - YES
b. 30% - NO
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Improvement Questions

What are activities you would like to see the BMW chapters do in your area?
a. Cheaper track days and autocross events that are in line with others.
a. Less restrictive track / autocross event rules for convertibles so they are in line with others.
b. DIY group sessions to fix cars and make local knowledge base.
c. Detailing sessions to train and educate on how to keep your ride clean and new.
d. Regional Octoberfest supported by BMWCCA.
e. More drives / tour events with the understanding some people want to drive “spirited” and should be allowed to do so at the front of the pack.
f. Get dealers involved with the local club
g. Social events that are meet and greets and not just the club meeting.
h. Dyno group sessions/
i. Do not focus on wine tours
j. Day drives where the focus is having a drive

Combined these to make it easier

What activities would you like to see on a national level & what type of programs would you like to see BMWCCA support?
a. Better website that is easier to navigate and has the following:
a. Technical articles on how to maintain your car (partner with forums)
b. More social media presents with Facebook, twitter, Google plus
c. Vendor showcase of products and vehicle propjets
d. Modification ideas presented professionally so people can have information on upgrade ideas
e. Mobile app for people to find events in their region and nationally
f. Classified add on the website for people to find member cars for sale as roundel is old data and not as detailed.
b. Better advertising that the club exists to BMW owners new and second hand
c. All new BMW sales include 1 year of membership
d. More benefits with vendors
a. Free shipping being a BMWCCA member
b. Supporting forums to help promote activities for regional clubs
e. Roundel magazine
a. More articles on people that upgrade / modify their BMW to have higher performance
b. DIY articles on different models
c. Showcase regional chapters events or activities
d. BMW racing update section
f. Car control clinics need to be expanded to more regions
g. Teen driver control clinics / street survival schools
h. Allow more grass roots meet ups and activities to take place
i. National to listen to ideas and be willing to talk about regional clubs about issues they are having and assist in resolving them

Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects?
a. Yes – BMWCCA to help members or vendors find hard to get parts from Europe
a. Help find discontinued parts that are still BMW made
b. Help in with finding technical assistance that forums and or local shops cannot find.
c. Help individuals that wish to source factory race parts to either race or other.

Open comment / suggestion.
There was a lot of comment here but in short, the BMW Club is what you make of it. While some chapters have great leaders and others have old do not care leaders, it comes down to if you want a more active regional club, get involved. The more involved the better your club will be.

Most people join because of Roundel and mostly keep their membership because of it.

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #99
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently?

no, was a member of NCC before moving south in 2006

2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)?

suncoast chapter

3. If you are not a member, what was the reason for not joining?

I was recently helping a friend with his E36 M3. He's not mechanically inclined, but I am. He is an active member in the CCA Suncoast chapter. His water pump failed, and so I helped him do a cooling system overhaul. I had lost my fan clutch tool, and asked him to see if he could find one to borrow from one of the CCA members. Again, he is very active in the chapter; goes to the meetings, attends the social functions, is on a first name basis with the chapter president, you get the idea.

He spent the better part of three weeks trying to find someone to loan him a fan clutch tool. Mind you, these are guys and gals with multiple 2002s, E30s, E36s, race cars, etc. that wrench on their own cars and collectively supposedly have an extensive tool collection. Basically dozens of owners of dozens of cars, all that use the same fan clutch tool.

Not one person offered to let us borrow a fan clutch tool. I suggested he offer to pay to rent it, or offer collateral. The response I kept getting from my friend was that "nobody" has one. I asked "are you sure?!?!? NO ONE has one?!?! How can that be?" Of course, I knew that this was complete BS, and there were probably a dozen out there. This is where membership should have had its benefits, and sadly it didn't.

I went to Home Depot, grabbed a piece of steel stock, and made my own. We finished his car without any problems.

After witnessing this, I will never join BMW CCA. I was a member of the National Capital Chapter years ago, and had nothing but a great experience. Members there were eager to help, offer advice (or tools!!), caravan to autocross events, etc. I let my membership lapse because my job allowed me wholesale pricing on OEM parts, and so I had no need for the 10% discount my CCA membership provided.

I met a few members of the Suncoast CCA chapter at a car show last year, and was not impressed. I guess if you're not a 62 year-old recent retiree that gets a stiffie at the prospect of driving a bone stock '97 Z3 that you bought for $1800, and parking it next to your six other bone stock 15 year old BMWs, they're not interested in you.

Sorry to go on a rant, but the CCA, at least this chapter here, just isn't what it should be. The Roundel is not nearly as good as it used to be either. A seven page spread on someone driving a base '03 325i through the Smoky Mountains isn't going to interest the younger crowd, if that's what the CCA is after.

OP, please don't think this is directed at you. I applaud your efforts. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Chihuahua; 11-15-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0