BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs What to use to clean windows?

05-13-2023, 09:02 AM   #23
Extremeengineer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynas View Post
If it's particularly bad, consider a clay bar first with the appropriate lube or it will stick and create something else to remove, or a steamer and wipe off first before using glass cleaner.
You have to clay bar the inside glass of your car👀 You runnin a meth lab in there or what!
Appreciate 2
NGT25617.50
2022M550i3034.00
      09-10-2023, 07:13 PM   #24
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

For inside the cabin, I tried a squeegee cleaning this weekend, and it works really well!

If you've ever been irritated about how your windows look streaky after a few days or when it's humid, or there's this "smokers" residue on them even if you don't smoke (no matter how clean you think you got them) you need to do the squeegee method!

1. Clean windows thoroughly with a well-moistened microfiber towel using a decent glass cleaner of your choice. I just used ammonia free Windex. lol
2. Spray your window generously with the glass cleaner.
3. Squeegee them as well as you can (I used a 6" application squeegee I got in vinyl wrap kit.) For the dash/rear deck areas, lay a large towel over it to prevent getting it wet.
4. Wipe down the surface with clean microfiber towel. (If it helps, you can very lightly moisten the towel with your glass cleaner.)

My windows have never been this clean.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 08:12 AM   #25
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Here in the UK I generally internally use 'Ultimate Finish' glass cleaner, https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...s-cleaner.aspx made by someone and branded to their own name, cuts through any grime and wiped and buffed with a microfibre gives excellent results.

Externally, especially the screen I either use a clay bar first or Autoglym glass polish to get it as clean as possible, once polish it's buffed, then I go over the screen with a mix of IPA & water to get the tiny bits of polish out of the micro stone chips on the screen and any other glass areas to remove any residue. I then clean the glass with Samson Hydrophobic glass cleaner... https://sansom.co.uk/collections/ext...32527232729137

I find that this product works well in beading the water and doesn't tend to smear on a cold damp morning. It helps water to run off the screen without using the wipers, but it does need a couple of coats IMO to do so. Works well in heavy rain better than light rain, guess it needs the weight of the volume to work well?

I use it on all the windows and it does help keep the sides clear and clean. Drove from Norfolk to London to Brugges and the side glass was noticibly as clear when I got there as it was when I left

Obviously worth saying all don't ignore the wipers. When you clean everything up for the first time if the wiper blade are getting old then worth getting a new set, the wipe across the screen will then be silent and clear.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 07:20 PM   #26
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I had purchased Einzette not Nexzette glass cleaner et concentrate. Economical and the best I’ve ever used. Next best is invisible glass. .
Appreciate 0