BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Anyone used 21st century insurance comprehensive to pay for damage?

Closed Thread

12-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #1
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Anyone used 21st century insurance comprehensive to pay for damage?

Need to replace my windshield and dealerships quote is $2800 Want to make sure insurance will cover it. Anyone have experience with 21-st? I tried to call them Monday but they told me they will cover only 700 . Couldn't reach to anyone who can give me more info as it was holiday for them also.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Generic Insurance advice follows. Contact your agent for more info. You may need the BMW dealer to convince them to pay their rate.

They are just pricing out the Safelites (or any glass shop on their list) of the world and going to pay what Safelite would charge for an equivalent piece of glass.

You should ask the tech if sensor need to be recalibrated or coded during process and then ask is safelite (or who ever they suggest) can do that. Then you have ammo to get them to pay BMW's rate. (which is exorbitant in my opinion)

Until you convince them BMW HAS to do it then they will only pay the going rate for an equivalent piece of glass installed by a know professional installer...and you can pay the extra cost to get the BMW logo and BMW install.

You might be able to get an installer to use BMW oem glass as a compromise.

Main thing is that you have to show that what they are proposing is not like kind and quality.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I called them and they will pay in full only if the shop has negotiated with them the prices which is probably few chains. Scheduled with safelite and called them to ask if they going to replace the rain sensor . somehow they got my car wrong, they told me its M3 in their system. So that part is fixed but they have to go thorough dealer to order the glas and then I have voucher for the dealer to align the camera for the headlights. No mentioning of the rain sensor yet. I dont know if thats really necessary to replace but thats by the bmw book. So I will push them to do it. At the end it might be few hundreds cheaper for insurance. Here in Cali the parts are like 40% more expensive then NY + tax! And labor is expensive also . Still $780 does not cover even the price of windshield and parts
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Glass is like 700 + 40 for molding + 300 rain sensor. Looks like the stealership at Mountain view wants to make 1800 profit
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Windshield, headlights and fog lights and all other glass on the car is normally covered under your COMPREHENSIVE insurance. In most states a comp claim has a zero deductable and can not hurt(negatively) your insurance record. Check with your insurance adjuster.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I do have comprehensive and i selected zero deductible. It did cost me like close to 400 for 6 months so getting 700 doesnt make any sense - I would saved them by not getting the comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Switching to Geico likely
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

let me help
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Switching to Amika most likely!
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I do have comprehensive and i selected zero deductible. It did cost me like close to 400 for 6 months so getting 700 doesnt make any sense - I would saved them by not getting the comprehensive.
WAIT! so... you are saying that your insurance company will only pay up to $700 for the windshield. ??? That's ridiculous! Maybe you should tell them you "might" file a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner.

To me this sounds like BS. Most insurance companies do not want any heat from the state's insurance commissioner(whose job is to protect the "little" guy).

Quote:
Switching to Geico likely
Btw... Geico is a pretty bad insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Only if I select other shop than the once they approved I will get $780. But I have the right to select my shop 21st is part of farmers but its still bad
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ae86; z4mc

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
the following advice may or may not want to be heard,read, or looked upon as the insurance rulebook:

most insurance companies have a separate clause for glass only claims. unfortunately it is buried within the documents you never read before you sign. they have things stating that they have the right to use aftermarket glass and the right to payout what the NAGS (aftermarket) and their selected vendor's labor.

most dealers, dealership bodyshops, and general bodyshops do not follow this pricing as it is a terrible program to be on.

ask bmw for sensor calibration position papers for anything mounted on the glass. rain sensors, temp sensors, ambient lighting sensors etc. also, blind spot monitoring if your car is equipped. i'd help you if i could, but i do not work for BMW

also, please make sure you have an OEM endorsement on your overall insurance policy. it'll save your headaches in the future
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #12
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Windshield, headlights and fog lights and all other glass on the car is normally covered under your COMPREHENSIVE insurance. In most states a comp claim has a zero deductable and can not hurt(negatively) your insurance record. Check with your insurance adjuster.

The amount of your comprehensive deductible is always dependent on your insurance policy. I'm not sure the phrase "most states have a zero deductible on comprehensive" is a true statement. I've never lived somewhere where the state mandated a $0 comprehensive deductible.

When i had my glass replaced i went through comprehensive on mine with OEM glass, but a third party installer. It ended up costing me ~$100 because the cost of the oem windshield was higher than insurance was willing to pay.
      12-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

dzvero
RogeM3
smrtypants44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
The amount of your comprehensive deductible is always dependent on your insurance policy. I'm not sure the phrase "most states have a zero deductible on comprehensive" is a true statement. I've never lived somewhere where the state mandated a $0 comprehensive deductible.

When i had my glass replaced i went through comprehensive on mine with OEM glass, but a third party installer. It ended up costing me ~$100 because the cost of the oem windshield was higher than insurance was willing to pay.
When I lived in the DC Metro/NOVA area... I'm pretty sure VA & MD states had a zero deductable for a comprehensive claim.

Also... it is YOUR car! You can have any shop repair your car, no matter what. You can also have BMW original parts used... even though some insurance companie want you to use their "cheap" Chinese "OEM" parts or even worse one of their "approved" repair centers(as they "learn" on your euro car). You do NOT have to follow that. You simple pay to have the repairs done... then submit a claim. IF they don't want to pay all of the bill... you can get your states insurance commissioner or get a lawyer to argue for you. I know most people will not pay for their own repairs out of packet - but some do. And it's my understand(at least in VA & MD) that the insurnace company has to cover the repair.

Maybe M3 Adjuster can shed some more light on this area of auto insurance.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
dzvero
RogeM3
smrtypants44

When I lived in the DC Metro/NOVA area... I'm pretty sure VA & MD states had a zero deductable for a comprehensive claim.
There are some states that have some very specific coverages. For example... some states indicate that a glass only claim has a Zero deductible. This is definitely state to state..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
The amount of your comprehensive deductible is always dependent on your insurance policy. I'm not sure the phrase "most states have a zero deductible on comprehensive" is a true statement. I've never lived somewhere where the state mandated a $0 comprehensive deductible. When i had my glass replaced i went through comprehensive on mine with OEM glass, but a third party installer. It ended up costing me ~$100 because the cost of the oem windshield was higher than insurance was willing to pay.
Smrtypants44 is correct here.. MOST states in the US.. you simply have a deductible that you choose.

Quote:

Also... it is YOUR car! You can have any shop repair your car, no matter what. You can also have BMW original parts used... even though some insurance companie want you to use their "cheap" Chinese "OEM" parts or even worse one of their "approved" repair centers(as they "learn" on your euro car). You do NOT have to follow that. You simple pay to have the repairs done... then submit a claim. IF they don't want to pay all of the bill... you can get your states insurance commissioner or get a lawyer to argue for you. I know most people will not pay for their own repairs out of packet - but some do. And it's my understand(at least in VA & MD) that the insurnace company has to cover the repair.

Maybe M3 Adjuster can shed some more light on this area of auto insurance.

Dackel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Generic Insurance advice follows. Contact your agent for more info. You may need the BMW dealer to convince them to pay their rate.

They are just pricing out the Safelites (or any glass shop on their list) of the world and going to pay what Safelite would charge for an equivalent piece of glass.

You should ask the tech if sensor need to be recalibrated or coded during process and then ask is safelite (or who ever they suggest) can do that. Then you have ammo to get them to pay BMW's rate. (which is exorbitant in my opinion)

Until you convince them BMW HAS to do it then they will only pay the going rate for an equivalent piece of glass installed by a know professional installer...and you can pay the extra cost to get the BMW logo and BMW install.

You might be able to get an installer to use BMW oem glass as a compromise.

Main thing is that you have to show that what they are proposing is not like kind and quality.
exactly how I would counsel a friend. Nicely done.

I have literally seen some dealers price glass for a customer.. Then CALL safelite to install the glass while the customer isn't present and then the shop adds a 25% -50% markup for the part price for the time it took to place the phone call..

In other situations.. dealers will want to order OEM glass via their service dept.. $$ Super high markup... and install the glass themselves with dealer labor rates that are anywhere from $95 to $180 or more per hour vs the $45 to $90 per hour that a body shop would charge.. Again.. more $$ for the dealer.

Some dealers will just tell the customer that they are going to sublet the work and they just pass on the work. Typically of course the install would be non OEM glass.

Ric in RVA is 100 percent correct when it comes to LIKE KIND AND QUALITY (aka LKG) for glass. Nearly every insurance policy in the United States indicates that they will pay for LKQ glass. In order to get the Super $pendy OEM BMW glass with the logo.. you likely may need to either demonstrate.. or have a situation where the LKG glass doesn't match the OEM with respect to FIT, QUALITY, or most importantly FUNCTION. It's definitely hard to argue QUALITY ... replacement glass usually does FIT... and For the most part.. there's not much needed for glass to FUNCTION... it needs to be seen through and keep elements out.

However... newer vehicles that have tech like the following can make it where OEM glass is needed

1) rain sensor
2) head up display
3) unique tint - Many Lexus vehicles have a unique tint/hue to the glass- IIRC a specific UV shielding
4) unique radio antenna or defroster in the glass (Subaru - for example has defrosters for windshield wipers in the glass)

This is one of those places where having to have a vehicle coded or something stupid may actually help the consumer that wants OEM work done. If the installer has an issue getting a rain sensor or some other sensor as above to work then the insurer will have to pay for the OEM item. Otherwise.. the insurer will pay for the LKG item, because that's what the policy contract states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_M3 View Post
the following advice may or may not want to be heard,read, or looked upon as the insurance rulebook:

most insurance companies have a separate clause for glass only claims. unfortunately it is buried within the documents you never read before you sign. they have things stating that they have the right to use aftermarket glass and the right to payout what the NAGS (aftermarket) and their selected vendor's labor.

most dealers, dealership bodyshops, and general bodyshops do not follow this pricing as it is a terrible program to be on.

ask bmw for sensor calibration position papers for anything mounted on the glass. rain sensors, temp sensors, ambient lighting sensors etc. also, blind spot monitoring if your car is equipped. i'd help you if i could, but i do not work for BMW

also, please make sure you have an OEM endorsement on your overall insurance policy. it'll save your headaches in the future
your comment about most insurer's having separate " buried" clauses is inaccurate.

There are however different jurisdictional mandates that can vary from state to state or one country to another.

What IS accurate is that 98% of consumers don't ever READ the policy contract before obtaining insurance.

That's the fault of the consumer .. not the insurer.
It's also typical that a consumer will complain loudly about what they WANT.. rather than reading their actual policy to see what it will pay for.

The majority of insurers in the US don't offer an OEM parts endorsement.. but if available.. then yes it can help prevent situations like this.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-29-2016 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50
      12-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

exactly how I would counsel a friend. Nicely done.

That is what 7 years as an adjuster and 18 years as an agent does for you.

I help my clients daily dealing with my one company as a captive agent.

If you are in Virginia and want a gear head agent who cares about their clients PM me.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #16
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have no agent, i got this long time ago and had auto payments
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #17
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I have GEICO and I will say that while their rates are astronomically low so are their coverages and usage of OEM parts.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread