F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F30 Trunk Latch Troubleshooting
proTUNING Freaks

05-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #1
DR92OR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 328D xDrive

F30 Trunk Latch Troubleshooting

The trunk latch on my 2014 328d xDrive will not unlatch using the rear handle, front trunk latch button, or the key fob. My vehicle does not have a key lock on the trunk. I have verified that the valet lock is off. I have checked the wiring for any sign of broken shielding or loose connections. There does seem to be voltage going across the wires. All trunk lighting is working when the actuator is unlatched using the emergency trunk release. I replaced the actuator and have checked all fuses in the back of the vehicle. The battery on my vehicle is 9 years old, but everything else functions fine and I've never had trouble starting the car. Any thoughts on what could be happening? Is there something I'm missing? (To be clear the trunk latches fine, but will only unlatch using the emergency trunk release).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
DR92OR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 328D xDrive

I have since replaced the battery out of misplaced hope that would solve the electrical gremlin. No joy. Probably next step would be looking at replacing the wires? After that who knows...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 11:46 PM   #3
mario123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR92OR View Post
I have since replaced the battery out of misplaced hope that would solve the electrical gremlin. No joy. Probably next step would be looking at replacing the wires? After that who knows...
Hi matey, just wondering if you got to the bottom of this issue. I have the same issue and its doing my head in. I have replaced the actuator but no go. I have also ruled out the wiring harness. I am beginning to suspect the REM module.

The thing is though I am seeing 6.8V at actuator cabling when i hit the trunk button.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 08:38 AM   #4
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario123 View Post
Hi matey, just wondering if you got to the bottom of this issue. I have the same issue and its doing my head in. I have replaced the actuator but no go. I have also ruled out the wiring harness. I am beginning to suspect the REM module.

The thing is though I am seeing 6.8V at actuator cabling when i hit the trunk button.
Any luck yet? I'm in the same boat...about to try buying a used trunk lock actuator. All the wiring & fuses seem fine. Swapping the REM (without coding) did not fix trunk opening issue as I've read it should, so I'm wary to code the new one without verifying it's not just the trunk lock actuator.
Appreciate 0