BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Standard LED Headlights - Problem?

05-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
BimmerFan998
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Standard LED Headlights - Problem?

I bought my G30 4 days ago and I noticed a line on the wall (between the low and high beam)

I can see the line when the high beam is on.

Is everything ok with the lights, is that normal?

My G30 has the standard LED headlights.

The blue line is from the lights. I can see the lline when I drive anywhere. I just got the car, is it some kind of glitch or mailfunction? Any thoughts?

Name:  2262999E-617A-474C-BC90-086C9C6A22C7.jpeg
Views: 4266
Size:  71.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFan998 View Post
I bought my G30 4 days ago and I noticed a line on the wall (between the low and high beam)

I can see the line when the high beam is on.

Is everything ok with the lights, is that normal?

My G30 has the standard LED headlights.

The blue line is from the lights. I can see the lline when I drive anywhere. I just got the car, is it some kind of glitch or mailfunction? Any thoughts?

Attachment 1825591

It's normal. I just checked my 540i with the same standard LED headlights and it does the same blue line exactly like in your pic.
      05-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #3
BimmerFan998
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
It's normal. I just checked my 540i with the same standard LED headlights and it does the same blue line exactly like in your pic.

Appreciated brother. Have a good one.
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
DGM486
Rep
Drives: 530d

Makes me feel better because mine is exactly the same and was wondering if it was a fault. Bothered me at first, but got used to it and overall can’t complain because the standard LED headlamps are outstanding, both on dipped and full beam.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

This line you see is part of the Projector bulb LED's vers reflective.

BMW's from the late 90's early 00's with projector bulb Xenon's also had a similar line.

It's Normal.
      05-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Your lights are fine. Don't fix what ain't broken...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
andy williamson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5 series g30 530e

Design Flaw

Quote:
Hi I have been complaining of the same problem to BMW since I took delivery of my 530e in April this year, last month, finally my local dealer Sytner Leicester videoed the lights and sent it to BMW UK, the service manager agreed that it is a distraction and you watch the line in the road instead of concentrating.

BMW UK just say, 'no fault found', this is not the first time BMW have had problems with headlights, unfortunately last time they didn't do anything about it until someone had died, see link below

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/man...-issue-to-dvsa

I intend to inform ALL national press / motoring magazines of the design flaw. The more people who complain to BMW the better. The contact below know all about my complaint, please as many people as possible contact him.

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Simon Jebb
Senior Customer Service Consultant
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire, GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0)370 5050 160
Email: customer.service@bmw.co.uk
Web: http://www.bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
andy williamson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5 series g30 530e

Design Flaw

Quote:
Hi I have been complaining of the same problem to BMW since I took delivery of my 530e in April this year, last month, finally my local dealer Sytner Leicester videoed the lights and sent it to BMW UK, the service manager agreed that it is a distraction and you watch the line in the road instead of concentrating.

BMW UK just say, 'no fault found', this is not the first time BMW have had problems with headlights, unfortunately last time they didn't do anything about it until someone had died, see link below

I intend to inform ALL national press / motoring magazines of the design flaw. The more people who complain to BMW the better. The contact below know all about my complaint, please as many people as possible contact him.

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Simon Jebb
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Hampshire, GU14 0FB
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy williamson View Post

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Simon Jebb
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Hampshire, GU14 0FB
A complete lack of all lights is so many orders of magnitude bigger than the problem of a blue line in the headlights. This is basically an aesthetic issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #10
leftfoot007
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 520D Xdrive

In the standard LED Headlight setup, I can't understand why high beams are not placed in the inner lenses ... I would fill the roadway ahead much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy williamson View Post

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Simon Jebb
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Hampshire, GU14 0FB
A complete lack of all lights is so many orders of magnitude bigger than the problem of a blue line in the headlights. This is basically an aesthetic issue.
Did any of you guys take a night test drive of the car before you bought it? If so that line would have presumably shown up then. If it wasn't in the test drive vehicle then it's fair to expect it to not be in the car you purchase.

Mute point now, but I always take a car for a 24 hour test drive before putting on to paper
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I noticed the same blue line on the non-adaptive LED of my m240i but does not exist with the adaptive LED of my G20.

However it seems yours' blue line is more prominent than mine
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #13
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport Touring

This looks like the same issue??

520d Headlights Black Line on Full Beam???? https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1572423
Appreciate 0