BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications New to the Forum and BMW ...

12-05-2023, 07:55 PM   #1
pjBMR4life
Patrick
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540Xi

New to the Forum and BMW ...

Well, I am a recent "proud pappa" of my first BMW and after 3 weeks of ownership, nightly videos on YouTube on Infotainment customizations, and a small amount of Bimmercode Tweaks, I am absolutely blown away with how polished this car is, for what it is.

After 18 months of searching I *FINALLY* found the girl I wanted, and she was WELL worth the wait!

2022 540i X drive - only 4,600 miles!
M Sport - 19" Wheels (it's Michigan roads - ugh)
Alpine White
Premium Package
Black Nappa with Luxury Seating Package
Shadowline
Aluminum Rhombicle Trim
Driving Assistance Pro
Heated Steering Wheel (it's Michigan - love it)
M Sport Brakes (Blue Calipers)

The only two cosmetic changes I needed to make were an M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler (bought OEM for $320 and having it painted gloss black) and having the wheels gloss black powder coated. I am also having the shop paint the stock diffuser gloss black (kinda bothered me it was factory gray).

I would've preferred adaptive suspension but they are impossible to find it seems. I am VERY impressed with the M Sport Suspension even on Michigan Roads. It is unbelievably compliant and well harmonized with the entire suspension set up. I believe I read somewhere that BMW refined the suspension after a ton of scrutiny about the ride quality (maybe a '21 LCI upgrade?).

I have owned a lot of cars in my years. I typically buy a low mileage 1-2 year old car, drive it for a few years, sell with CPO Warranty and rinse repeat. I am a 52 year old business owner and meet people at their home regularly. An M5 would be a bit much to drive up in, and I wanted a quieter more civil "Sleeper" that I could modify without it being obvious.

My most fun car was a 2000 Audi S4 that I eventually went Stage 3+ with (Meth Injected) and the tuner actually reprogramed Motronics to drive as stock as possible and still take advantage of everything I had on the car (the list was extensive).

My goal with the 540 is to install THE most stock-like, daily driving, smooth Tune with a Downpipe and run stock exhaust and stock air intake. Please don't scrutinize as I bought this car for business and the fact I have two boys that are 21 and 17 and we take road trips with my wife and cross state trips to airsoft and snow board. They are both 6' tall and I needed a fun car with a decent back seat. After they move out, I will probably get an M4 but the front end is God awful and I can't get past it right now. Honesty, I might end up with an M8 also. A developer took me out in his M8 Comp and I loved it.

So, sorry for the long intro, but is there a Tuner (probably prefer flash tuning vs piggy back) you can recommend given what I want to accomplish? I have 30 months of warranty left and not sure how long I can hold out. The car is fast as is, but I know this Gen 2 B58 and 8 Speed have SO much more in the tank just waiting for it. I was blown away at the forged upgrades and high flow fuel pump. I have never seen an OEM Car so prepped for tuning (speechless).

TIA!

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Pics please 😁
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:48 PM   #3
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjBMR4life View Post
... is there a Tuner (probably prefer flash tuning vs piggy back) you can recommend given what I want to accomplish? I have 30 months of warranty left and not sure how long I can hold out. The car is fast as is, but I know this Gen 2 B58 and 8 Speed have SO much more in the tank just waiting for it. I was blown away at the forged upgrades and high flow fuel pump. I have never seen an OEM Car so prepped for tuning (speechless).

TIA!

Patrick
Greetings fellow Michigander! Unfortunately, since you have a '22 LCI you would need a Femto unlock before doing a flash tune. Maybe that will change in the months of warranty you have remaining, but for now you may want to consider a JB4 piggyback. I haven't used it myself but if you search the forum it's the most recommended.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 02:02 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Welcome to the forums and +1 for the JB4 & the active autowerke downpipe for no CEL

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 05:30 PM   #5
M550bernina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

JB4 will do you right. When warranty is up, you have a B58, so the world is your oyster!

You can stil mod to the level of your old S4 and drive/feel like your stock with your 540.
Appreciate 0