E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What is the average age of E90 owners?

View Poll Results: What is the average age of E90 owners?
16 to 25 years old 86 28.96%
26 to 34 years old 105 35.35%
35 to 45 years old 74 24.92%
46 or older... 32 10.77%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

10-01-2005, 11:30 PM   #45
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
what's up with everyone 15-17 here not knowing how to type/spell?

no offense, guys, but it's probably part of the reason you aren't respected as much as you'd like on forums.

i have to agree with you, even though im only 20. i've noticed a lot of younger members (still in highschool) tend to type without using proper grammer and punctuations (commas and periods). it's very hard to read and understand what they're trying to say.
i'm not an english major and i know my english and grammer is not the best, but using commas and periods helps a lot in a sentence.
(go ahead and correct my mistakes)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 11:51 PM   #46
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

Let's see....two 16 y/o's, a 17, and a recent hs grad whose dad bought him one for the apparently incredible acheivement of getting into a college. So much for learning the value of earning This is a $32,000+ automobile. Even some of the lower 20's guys may not yet have homes with any substantial equity, savings in the bank, etc., but at least they're earning theirs most likely.

Bankruptcies are near an all-time high. I just read that credit card defaults are at an all-time high. The US average savings rate is under 1%!

Anyone else think there's some mixed up values in our culture? Or can you really have it all now with no downside?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #47
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt157
i have to agree with you, even though im only 20. i've noticed a lot of younger members (still in highschool) tend to type without using proper grammer and punctuations (commas and periods). it's very hard to read and understand what they're trying to say.
i'm not an english major and i know my english and grammer is not the best, but using commas and periods helps a lot in a sentence.
(go ahead and correct my mistakes)

Sorry I did not know this was a grammar test!

Just kiddin
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #48
arcrox
E90post addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 G20 M340i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32
Let's see....two 16 y/o's, a 17, and a recent hs grad whose dad bought him one for the apparently incredible acheivement of getting into a college. So much for learning the value of earning This is a $32,000+ automobile. Even some of the lower 20's guys may not yet have homes with any substantial equity, savings in the bank, etc., but at least they're earning theirs most likely.

Bankruptcies are near an all-time high. I just read that credit card defaults are at an all-time high. The US average savings rate is under 1%!

Anyone else think there's some mixed up values in our culture? Or can you really have it all now with no downside?
Just for the record (and like it matters, but) this is for getting into a top-rated professional program in university and upcoming graduation in 2006. It's not for graduating high school, which was probably the easiest thing I've done. With that said, I am extremely lucky to be driving such a finely engineered automobile. Don't presuppose that I take such matters for granted and please don't be bitter because you grew up under a different socio-economic background.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #49
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankee
First off, i'm 17
Second, being 17 and having an extremely nice car for my age, i am constantly being attacked about it, especially on forums. But seeing that there are two 16 year olds on these forums, and the response that they have gotten, i must say I am extreamly impressed.
Impressed by what? The fact that their parents bought a $35, $40k a car for them without having to do anything really.

brucec32, you are right on. Forget a bimmer, I didn't even have a car at 16. A brand new Bimmer for getting into a college? I bought my Bimmer after 5 treacherous years as an undergrad student.

We can't blame the kids though, if the parents don't want to instill a work ethic at a young age, then that's on them. No wonder I get weird ass looks from people, they think I'm just another spoiled ass rich kid.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 12:36 AM   #50
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

I am 19
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 01:16 AM   #51
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

An interesting demographic survey could include how many people:
a. bought or are paying for the car with money they earned
b. if buying, have a car loan interest rate of less than 4.8%
b. own a home, or
c. are positioned to buy a BMW for one of their children

I have no idea what any of this might mean for CIP 1.9 fixes, or the V1 ground wire location, or snow tires.

Regarding the snit from folks who do not like to be called on their grammar: the ability to communicate effectively - even with yourself - is a key to success. For the person who asked, yes life is a grammar test. Poor (primary) language skills suggest shoddy thinking. Disagree? Communicate otherwise. Show us some evidence that syntactical toss-ups don't reflect synaptical misfires.

get off the phone and drive

Last edited by tima; 10-02-2005 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #52
thebigman
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

Quote:

Maybe we should have a thread about what people do for a living.

It is cool how there are so many other 22 year olds on the forum! Me thinks I’m the youngest in the UK though?

I am hugely envious that you 20-somethings can all swagger around in 6-cylinder cars! Then again, I would do the same if fuel here were as cheap as it is in the states
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 05:09 AM   #53
res_ipsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SparkGraphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman
Maybe we should have a thread about what people do for a living.
Here ya go. Member's jobs.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #54
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I have nothing against a parent giving their kid a nice car. When I have a kid, I'll give them so much money per A they get and when they add it up when they turn 16, that will determine what kind of car they get, plus maybe a little help from me on a downpayment. If they continue to get good grades, I will pay their insurance, but if they don't--well then they'll have to find a way to pay for it themself. I know I may be much more lenient than other members on this board, but I believe that if I give my kid a good incentive to do well in school, then he/she will try much harder. The only fear I have is that my kid will grow up to be unintelligent. I'd rather have an intelligent kid with strong morals that is somewhat spoiled.

As far as the grammar, isn't there an option to add to the advanced posting for spellcheck? I'm sure that would benefit a few members, and help others to understand them a little better.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #55
nyyankee
The Ultimate Posting Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
Impressed by what? The fact that their parents bought a $35, $40k a car for them without having to do anything really.
No....I WAS impressed at the fact that older members, were not criticizing younger members for having such nice cars, at such a young age......but i retract my statment. Thank You

DISCLAIMER: Poster makes no guarantee that the above expressed information is accurate, complete, current, funny, new, spelled correctly, or grammatically correct. The above-stated information is instead provided on an "AS IS" basis, and is subject to revision with or without notice.

Last edited by nyyankee; 10-02-2005 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #56
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

Quote:
No....I WAS impressed at the fact that older members, were not criticizing younger, members for having such nice cars at such a young age......but i retract my statment. Thank You

they're just jealous that their parents got them a pair of payless shoes instead of a car.

but really though, i dont think its right when i pass by my old hs parking lot and see porsches, s2000s, sti, evo, supras and luxery cars parking there. yes, it is nice of their parents to get them the car, but its also getting them into trouble (tickets, accidents, wreckless driving, little speed racers). which is more likely to happen in these cars then a civic or corolla. its cool to get it for them as a 2nd or 3rd car but not 1st.
i had a friend that got a 96 supra tt for his birthday and crashed it within his sophmore/jr year.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #57
connermd
What did I miss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

I am so glad I didn't have to select the third age category
      10-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #58
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Quote:
No....I WAS impressed at the fact that older members, were not criticizing younger members for having such nice cars, at such a young age......but i retract my statment. Thank You
Don't roll your eyes at me boy! lol, just kiddin. I was mainly backing up brucec32's stance, not really criticizing anyone in particular. but yes, the people around here are generally pretty tolerant and friendly, everyone is welcome here.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #59
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I agree with the idea that 16yrs old drivers should start out with
beater or something less expensive to get the feel of what "car" is really like.

Starting off with a bimmer is spoiling them.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 06:49 PM   #60
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

i had a honda del sol as my first car and everyone said i was spoiled.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #61
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I started off with my parent's Nissan pathfinder.
Then when I had enough money to buy my own car(which I only had $3000),
I bought myself a 95 Eagle Talon and I was happy with that. It was a real
POS though, now I think of it.

Del Sol was probably a nice car at the time you had it. Thats probably why.
I see alot of 16yrs old driving Del Sol around, and I still think thats a nice
car for a first-time driver to drive. Its a nice little fun car.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #62
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Del Sol was probably a nice car at the time you had it. Thats probably why.
I see alot of 16yrs old driving Del Sol around, and I still think thats a nice
car for a first-time driver to drive. Its a nice little fun car.
I agree, I loved it. But it was no BMW.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #63
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Agreed. Only honda that'll come close to BMW's reputation would be
honda S2000 in my opinion.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #64
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Guess I'll be 46 if I get the cabrio when it's available. Maybe I should consider the Bentley Continental Cabrio coming soon.

Jeez, you youngsters are lucky. I was driving my dad's old '79 or '80 Grand Prix (you guys were still in diapers) when I was 24; got a Celica GTS at 26.

Hope you've got great trust funds or jobs to support you in the way you've gotten used to.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #65
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
24 yrs old. No trust fund here, just old fashion hard work and sweat. I've been driving Accords ever since I was 17, so the BMW is well deserved.
      10-02-2005, 11:40 PM   #66
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Don't forget, people here are of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. I find that in Western cultures, parents aren't as overly concerned about their children, and if their children want something, they have to earn it on their own. However, in Asian cultures, parents are more overly-worried about their children and if they are moderately-wealthy, they will cover all their children's expenses up until they get married.

Personally, I'm a young Asian-Canadian student and I'm happy that say that my parents pay for EVERYTHING: tuition, car, insurance, gas. In fact, this is the case for all my Asian friends. Their parents pay for everything. However, Asian cultures do follow some sort of reciprocal relationship. For instance, although my parents are paying for me now, when they grow old and retire, I intend to buy them a nice townhouse, buy them a BMW, and try to take care of them. Haven't u wondered why so many old, retired Asians are able to afford nice BMWs? So yeah, my parents are spoiling me now, and I will spoil them later. I prefer this Asian value of family helping family over some theory about working hard for money.

On a side note, I do have a part-time job on weekends. However, I have not used a single pay-cheque. I forward all my cheques to my parents, which hopefully helps subsidize for my expenses.
Appreciate 0