BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Connected drive doesn’t on LTE...

08-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

Connected drive doesn’t on LTE...

If I try to lock the doors on my ‘19 540, message tells me that the attempt failed because I have no internet connection! But I clearly do have internet service via phone company LTE. What’s your experience. Needing to be on WiFi to do this makes it pretty useless.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
Needing to be on WiFi to do this makes it pretty useless.
You don't need to be on WiFi. LTE works fine, so there must be something else that's causing your issue. What phone are you using (Android or iOS)? Check your app permissions. Also check your Connected Drive subscriptions - i.e. log into a web portal for connected drive and view summary of all your subscriptions. You can also try the remote locking from the browser.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
If I try to lock the doors on my ‘19 540, message tells me that the attempt failed because I have no internet connection! But I clearly do have internet service via phone company LTE. What’s your experience. Needing to be on WiFi to do this makes it pretty useless.
Pretty sure connected drive doesn't use your phones LTE for connection. How would that even work. Connected drive functions when you and your phone aren't in the car.
      08-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Pretty sure connected drive doesn't use your phones LTE for connection. How would that even work. Connected drive functions when you and your phone aren't in the car.
One is using either the cellular signal (non LTE) or LTE on one's phone. The G30 has a LTE capable sim card to receive signals and respond.

So one is using both LTE on both.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
One is using either the cellular signal (non LTE) or LTE on one's phone. The G30 has a LTE capable sim card to receive signals and respond.

It's not your phone, it's the cellular connection from the vehicle. If you park in a parking garage and there's no cell signal, there's no way for the car to communicate with ConnectedDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry I generally agree with you but I have no idea what you just said other then car has it's own SIM card and cellular service so it doesn't need or use the phone at all.
      08-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry I generally agree with you but I have no idea what you just said other then car has it's own SIM card and cellular service so it doesn't need or use the phone at all.
Correct. If the vehicle has a loss of signal, like being in an underground parking garage, no remote services will work regardless of your personal phone's connectivity.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00