BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Run flat repair

08-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Run flat repair

I got a nail in my run flat, on the edge of the shoulder of the tire. Is there anyway to salvage or plug it? Local shop saying no.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
I got a nail in my run flat, on the edge of the shoulder of the tire. Is there anyway to salvage or plug it? Local shop saying no.
Not if the nail is at edge near sidewall. Must be more than 1" from sidewall. The patch will be under too much stress and will likely fail.
      08-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

The importance of tires is often unrecognized. If a tire blows, especially at high speeds, you are in trouble. It is not worth taking a chance. If the tires are fairly new, and your concern is that the replacment will have more meat on it than the other tires so the car won't drive properly, there are tire companies that can shave the existing tires so that they are all approximately the same.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      08-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
The importance of tires is often unrecognized. If a tire blows, especially at high speeds, you are in trouble. It is not worth taking a chance. If the tires are fairly new, and your concern is that the replacment will have more meat on it than the other tires so the car won't drive properly, there are tire companies that can shave the existing tires so that they are all approximately the same.
Steve,

I've discussed this very issue with several people in the tire business. Staff working for manufacturers.

Tubeless tire repair has been ongoing for decades. The only difference with run flat tires is the strength of the sidewall and ability to remain usable with "up to" no pressure for up to 50 miles.

Manufacturers take the safe road (for many reasons) and tell their dealers not to repair run flats. Why, because they just don't know what happened once the tire became compromised. Consumers are typically clueless and don't remember what really happened and how long they drove on the tire. So the manufacturer doesn't want the liability of allowing repairs.

I 100% agree with you in a situation where the tire dropped to near zero pressure and the driver drove several miles... In this case, take the safe route and replace the tire. Safety is paramount.

However, some people simply have reduced pressure and can drive on the tire, no differently than a go flat (they keep it reasonably inflated until they can get it serviced). These situations are repairable if the puncture is within the tread area and not larger than a nail or screw. I believe 1/8" diameter of the nail/screw is the industry standard.

The OP has a puncture in the tire shoulder too close to the sidewall. For his safety he needs a new tire.
      08-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #5
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Manufacturers take the safe road (for many reasons) and tell their dealers not to repair run flats. Why, because they just don't know what happened once the tire became compromised. Consumers are typically clueless and don't remember what really happened and how long they drove on the tire. So the manufacturer doesn't want the liability of allowing repairs.

I 100% agree with you in a situation where the tire dropped to near zero pressure and the driver drove several miles... In this case, take the safe route and replace the tire. Safety is paramount.

However, some people simply have reduced pressure and can drive on the tire, no differently than a go flat (they keep it reasonably inflated until they can get it serviced). These situations are repairable if the puncture is within the tread area and not larger than a nail or screw. I believe 1/8" diameter of the nail/screw is the industry standard.

The OP has a puncture in the tire shoulder too close to the sidewall. For his safety he needs a new tire.
Here is a more definitive summary of official tire manufacturer policies, although I tend to agree with you:
Quote:
Selected Tire Manufacturer's Policies for Run-Flat Tire Repair
The following list summarizes tire manufacturers' run-flat tire repair policies, however it should be noted that every tire manufacturer that consents to repair, does so only after the punctured tire has passed a thorough exterior and interior examination.

Manufacturer/Brand Repair Policy Additional Provisions
BFGoodrich Permitted 1 repair maximum
Bridgestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Continental Does not recommend Mfg. Road Hazard Program*
Dunlop Permitted 1 repair maximum for H- and greater speed ratings
Firestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Goodyear Permitted 1 repair maximum for H- and greater speed ratings
Hankook Permitted
Kumho Permitted
Michelin Permitted 1 repair maximum
Pirelli Not endorsed Mfg. Road Hazard Program**
Yokohama Not to be repaired if run-flat
*Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first). Continental advises that a repair to one of its tires invalidates all other manufacturer's warranties.
**Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first), then prorated until worn to 2/32" of remaining tread depth.
Appreciate 2
claykin1587.50
clee1982797.50
      08-07-2019, 03:48 AM   #6
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
I think there is no real danger in trying to plug it, but like claykin said, at these regions, the plug will not last and will risk leaking again (the worse is that it may happen at an inconvenient time).

If you really want to try, I suggest finding a shop that does internal patching, at least a higher survival rate than the cheap plug/worm.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Maybe you'll find a place to repair it, or plug it yourself. However, I know of no place which will do it, and for good reason. Punctures this close to the sidewall put the integrity of the tire in question. A blowout can result. Although a blowout in a runflat is not usually devastating (I know, having just gotten rid of my Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics!) it can be, and can also be very inconvenient. Why create something else to worry about. Replace the tire.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      08-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Quote:

Here is a more definitive summary of official tire manufacturer policies, although I tend to agree with you:
Quote:
The following list summarizes tire manufacturers' run-flat tire repair policies, however it should be noted that every tire manufacturer that consents to repair, does so only after the punctured tire has passed a thorough exterior and interior examination.

Hankook Permitted
Kumho Permitted
*Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first). Continental advises that a repair to one of its tires invalidates all other manufacturer's warranties.
**Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first), then prorated until worn to 2/32" of remaining tread depth.
I bought a new tire. The pressure was holding around 22 pretty stable. I probably could of plugged it. The car is a cpo 2018. I've had it a month, to be safe and peace of mind I just bought a new tire. I would bet the tire would eventually just slow leak. I dealt with my last car doing that every month due to bent wheels. It's a new car to me. Replace and peace of mind. I probably could of salvaged it though.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Do not attempt to patch or otherwise fix runflats. These are throw away tires and fixes are the equivalent of patching them with chewing gum.

This is why I bought the BMW tire and wheel insurance. Also check the road hazard insurance provided the tour tire manufacturer. Continental for example has excellent road hazard insurance and they will replace your tire if you are within I believe 12 months since purchase. I had one tire replaced under such road hazard on my other car, a 2013 Clubman S. I had bought 2 front tires and within 2 weeks a big ass screw on one of them. Took it back to the dealer where the tire had been purchased and got replaced on the spot no questions asked. My cash outlay was just the cost of mounting on the rim.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Hankook Permitted
Kumho Permitted
I bought a new tire. The pressure was holding around 22 pretty stable. I probably could of plugged it. The car is a cpo 2018. I've had it a month, to be safe and peace of mind I just bought a new tire. I would bet the tire would eventually just slow leak. I dealt with my last car doing that every month due to bent wheels. It's a new car to me. Replace and peace of mind. I probably could of salvaged it though.
When you patch a runflat tire that has been driven on without air, the tire supporting structure has already been compromised. You can patch it and put air back but the tire's rolling properties and contact have been affected and will be noise and be weird in general terms.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Maybe you'll find a place to repair it, or plug it yourself. However, I know of no place which will do it, and for good reason. Punctures this close to the sidewall put the integrity of the tire in question. A blowout can result. Although a blowout in a runflat is not usually devastating (I know, having just gotten rid of my Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics!) it can be, and can also be very inconvenient. Why create something else to worry about. Replace the tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Correct, a tire is a safety item do not believe for a minute that saving $300+ for a replacement is a good idea in any way shape or form.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #12
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Given the available tire pressure monitor alert, and having a slow leak from, say, a nail in the center part of the tread, RFT's are easily and safely repaired as long as the tire was not driven any significant distance while flat. I've done this with no consequence.
Appreciate 0