BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Software Update?

11-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Software Update?

So, I'm in DFW in a VRBO for the weekend. Came out yesterday, after my car had been parked since Friday in the garage of the VRBO. The display was different, had the 3D view of maps, which I have never used, and a compass on the other half of the split screen, when I had had it set for entertainment (didn't even know I had a compass). Also, all my settings had changed, steering intervention had been turned back on, the air conditioner setting changed to neutral, etc. Took me several minutes to reset everything to the way it was before. Anyone experienced this? I know you get map updates OTA....can you get a software update OTA also?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
2019 G30 is supposed to support remote updates (so is the MY2020), but I think the jury is out on if they are actually being deployed. Some are sure the G30 won't support updates at all until the LCI.

You can access Software Version Information and post what you have as a version number to help others see if there is any changes from what they have. Otherwise, it could have been a reset somehow.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Software version is 006.027.001. No idea what it was before, or if this is an update. However, something definitely changed everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I have 2019 as well, I saw the setting got changed else as well (after having to click proceed with update so iDrive gets reboot, I didn't pay attention thought was just map update), didn't know what was my software version prior so can't really tell either...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I have 2019 as well, I saw the setting got changed else as well (after having to click proceed with update so iDrive gets reboot, I didn't pay attention thought was just map update), didn't know what was my software version prior so can't really tell either...
So this looks like the first confirmation of an OTA update for the G30?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see some setting got changed (was there before) not sure if I actually got anything "new" in terms of feature though
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
I think so, but cannot be sure. I can think of no other reason why my car would have had all the settings changed back to the way they were when I got the car. There was no malfunction of which I am aware, the car simply sat from about 2:00 PM on Friday until I drove it again around 11:00AM on Saturday, in a garage, untouched by anyone. It was then that I noticed all the changes. If I'm missing something, someone please fill me in.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
I think so, but cannot be sure. I can think of no other reason why my car would have had all the settings changed back to the way they were when I got the car. There was no malfunction of which I am aware, the car simply sat from about 2:00 PM on Friday until I drove it again around 11:00AM on Saturday, in a garage, untouched by anyone. It was then that I noticed all the changes. If I'm missing something, someone please fill me in.
It may be a small update aimed to make future updates smoother since there was supposed to be some issues with previous OTA updates. Either way, it is a positive development as all of the current discussions have been no OTA updates on any G30.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

2019 definitely does not support remote software update. 2019 has iDrive 6 and the only remote updating is for regional map updates. It is entirely possible BMW pushed out the 2019-3 regional update and that's what you're noticing when the iDrive reset post update.

2020 also does not support remote software update. Yes 2020 has iDrive 7 and yes some iDrive 7 cars support remote software update. However, not the G30. At least not up till now. Will BMW enable it in the future for 2020 cars, maybe but I highly doubt it. I'm convinced 2020 G30 has iDrive 7 lite until LCI when other car modules are updated to the latest like used in the 3 series, X5/X7, LCI 7 series, etc.
clee1982797.50
      11-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Sure you didn't use another key?
The way the idrive is setup is per key so possibly a different key used? Just a thought
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      11-19-2019, 02:26 AM   #11
a_k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G31 M550d

I noticed changes in some settings once, but I think it is just a software issue (profile was not loaded correctly or something similar). Settings returned to their "correct" state by themselves.
Regarding key - I use only one key (display key does not make any sense, so I am using the smaller one all the time).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:59 AM   #12
larsp12
Rep
Drives: BMW hybrid

Having a MY2020 G30 (idrive7) I can relate to this happening every now and then, and every single time it has been related to the system not recognizing the key with my user profile, like it "thinks" that I'm using the extra key which is connected to the guest profile. My best bet would be that this is what you were experiencing.

Have a look at which user profile that's engaged...

Speaking of OTA updates for G30 idrive7 "lite", it was explained to me by a member of the BMW customer service team that G30 id7 will indeed get this feature by the end of this year. I was kind of led to believe that the car will have to physically visit a workshop to have this introduced, possible during regular service.
On the other hand, I do have a feeling that the customer service rep's don't always have entirely accurate information, so I guess we'll see...
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      11-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #13
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Appreciate the discussion. My wife was in the car before I got in and started it, so it may have recognized her key. She never drives the car, and almost never rides in it, as we use her car when we go out together (for valet, etc). There has never been a profile set up for her as a result, so this might explain it. It sure was weird. So, tell me, you BMW gurus.....where can I find that elusive compass which was present when I started the car, but which I cannot find since?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep

Ah yes it will use the profile of the key used to open up the car so possibly was that.

Assume you are aware that you can copy across the profile of one to another aswell , may be worth doing anyway perhaps?
Appreciate 2
hlothery481.50
clee1982797.50
      11-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Appreciate the discussion. My wife was in the car before I got in and started it, so it may have recognized her key. She never drives the car, and almost never rides in it, as we use her car when we go out together (for valet, etc). There has never been a profile set up for her as a result, so this might explain it. It sure was weird. So, tell me, you BMW gurus.....where can I find that elusive compass which was present when I started the car, but which I cannot find since?
To see compass push iDrive knob to right then enable arrow display
      11-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #16
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Ah yes it will use the profile of the key used to open up the car so possibly was that.

Assume you are aware that you can copy across the profile of one to another aswell , may be worth doing anyway perhaps?
Indeed!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #17
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

By way of a final embarassing update......just reproduced the event exactly by using my wife's key. Glad I have you guys around to keep me straight. Learn something new about these cars fairly frequently.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      11-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
AP
Major General
Rep

That's what these forums are about.
Good bunch of people here to ask questions about and ask for advice as well as obviously showing off your own car and reviews of it.

Truely global with people from all over the place.
Appreciate 2
claykin1587.50
hlothery481.50
      11-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsp12 View Post
Having a MY2020 G30 (idrive7) I can relate to this happening every now and then, and every single time it has been related to the system not recognizing the key with my user profile, like it "thinks" that I'm using the extra key which is connected to the guest profile. My best bet would be that this is what you were experiencing.

Speaking of OTA updates for G30 idrive7 "lite", it was explained to me by a member of the BMW customer service team that G30 id7 will indeed get this feature by the end of this year. I was kind of led to believe that the car will have to physically visit a workshop to have this introduced, possible during regular service.
On the other hand, I do have a feeling that the customer service rep's don't always have entirely accurate information, so I guess we'll see...
My car is a Oct 19 build with iDrive 7.0. It is going in for a complete software reinstall as it keeps losing settings in the profile and the “Intelligent Personal Assistant” isn’t that intelligent. I always use the same key !
The Genius and others in the dealers are mystified how this is happening but accept this is the first G30 with iDrive 7.0 they have come across. They are in contact with Germany over Remote Software Updates. Their documents say that the iDrive in G30’s is a ‘service pack’ and not the full system and one of the capabilities that will be excluded is RSU until next years LCI. However, the Drivers Guide (using the VIN), the hardcopy manual, Connected Drive and UK Customer Service all say the car should have it. I’ll let you know what the situation is after the software reinstall. They need the car for at least a full day so sales have arranged an 8 Series loaner !
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 12:31 AM   #20
AP
Major General
Rep

Nice. Much better than a 320d that you would probably have got!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #21
afi2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Quote:

My car is a Oct 19 build with iDrive 7.0. It is going in for a complete software reinstall as it keeps losing settings in the profile and the “Intelligent Personal Assistant” isn’t that intelligent. I always use the same key !
The Genius and others in the dealers are mystified how this is happening but accept this is the first G30 with iDrive 7.0 they have come across. They are in contact with Germany over Remote Software Updates. Their documents say that the iDrive in G30’s is a ‘service pack’ and not the full system and one of the capabilities that will be excluded is RSU until next years LCI. However, the Drivers Guide (using the VIN), the hardcopy manual, Connected Drive and UK Customer Service all say the car should have it. I’ll let you know what the situation is after the software reinstall. They need the car for at least a full day so sales have arranged an 8 Series loaner !
Hi I have a September 19 Build, ID7 can't find anywhere to remote update even the maps, did yours start working after update with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #22
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afi2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Quote:

My car is a Oct 19 build with iDrive 7.0. It is going in for a complete software reinstall as it keeps losing settings in the profile and the "Intelligent Personal Assistant" isn't that intelligent. I always use the same key !
The Genius and others in the dealers are mystified how this is happening but accept this is the first G30 with iDrive 7.0 they have come across. They are in contact with Germany over Remote Software Updates. Their documents say that the iDrive in G30's is a 'service pack' and not the full system and one of the capabilities that will be excluded is RSU until next years LCI. However, the Drivers Guide (using the VIN), the hardcopy manual, Connected Drive and UK Customer Service all say the car should have it. I'll let you know what the situation is after the software reinstall. They need the car for at least a full day so sales have arranged an 8 Series loaner !
Hi I have a September 19 Build, ID7 can't find anywhere to remote update even the maps, did yours start working after update with BMW?
I don't believe remote software updates are supported on the G30 even with iDrive 7. Maps are updated OTA based on your region.
Appreciate 0