BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Bent Front Rims, 759i 20inch wheels.

03-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
jp0451
Rep
Drives: G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Bent Front Rims, 759i 20inch wheels.

The dealership told me that both of my front rims are bent, and sent me the following videos. I didn't notice anything while driving. It's totally possible that some potholes did this, since I already had to replace a front tire only after 4k miles, because of potholes.
From the videos, does it seem very concerning? The dealer said that they recommand me to replace both rims and quoted me for $2300+.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:32 AM   #2
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0451 View Post
The dealership told me that both of my front rims are bent, and sent me the following videos. I didn't notice anything while driving. It's totally possible that some potholes did this, since I already had to replace a front tire only after 4k miles, because of potholes.
From the videos, does it seem very concerning? The dealer said that they recommand me to replace both rims and quoted me for $2300+.

I would try to straighten the rims before replacing them. Also you can probably get an aftermarket set for less than that. I would recommend going with taller sidewall tires. 245/40/20 275/35/20.
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

$100 to straighten each wheel, no need to replace
Appreciate 1
PAL51626.00
      04-16-2021, 10:46 PM   #4
Zereldo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Like Norris and Superjackson said, try and get them repaired before shelling out $2,300 for two new wheels. In some cases you can claim insurance on it given you know exactly where it happened and pothole was a product of subpar road maintenance or negligence.

If the bend is so bad that it cant be repaired, you will know. You would experience excessive vibrations, air leaking from tire and vibration in steering wheel.

90% of bent wheels can be repaired to newr perfect roundness (even brand new wheels from factory aren't perfectly round but they all meet a certain tolerances threshold).

Cost to repair bends is ~$100 on average. If the bend is very bad ir you have more than one per wheels, then I would expect to pay $150/wheel. Also keep in mind that a wheel repair shop will need to heat up the wheel before bending it back into shape. This will leave a noticable burn mark in the wheel. If the bend is in the barrel, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's in the face of the wheel and you can't live with a burn mark, then refinishing the wheel may be necessary.

The 759i wheel is a two tone black wheel with machined face. This generally costs more than a simple 1 colour powdercoat. Expect to pay $250 for bend repair and wheel refinish per wheel, totaling to $500 - a far cry from $2,300. You may say that a brand new wheel must be a better choice than a repaired wheel, but they will more or less be the same.

A cracked wheel is a different story. If that's the case (and you would definitely know), I would replace the wheel.

Also, keep in mind that you will lose the "BMW Individual" script in the wheels. It's very hard to replicate that, especially since BMW doesn't sell decals for it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Norris83274.50
      04-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #5
Zereldo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

I watched the video. Both have a minor bend - nothing serious. I would be a little concerned about the tires, especially if they're run flat tires. A bent wheel means the point of impact will have caused the tire to deform to the point that a bubble may have formed on the side wall. If that's the case, you will need new tires.
Appreciate 1
Norris83274.50
      04-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
jp0451
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0451 View Post

I would try to straighten the rims before replacing them. Also you can probably get an aftermarket set for less than that. I would recommend going with taller sidewall tires. 245/40/20 275/35/20.
Yea, i brought the car to a local shop, the guys were cool and basically said if I dont feel anything too obvious, its not even worth fixing since I have the run flats. They recommended to get them fixed once i replace the tires with normal ones. These run flats really do suck.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
jp0451
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereldo View Post
I watched the video. Both have a minor bend - nothing serious. I would be a little concerned about the tires, especially if they're run flat tires. A bent wheel means the point of impact will have caused the tire to deform to the point that a bubble may have formed on the side wall. If that's the case, you will need new tires.
Yea , thats true, I actually already had to replace one tire after just 4k miles. The bend was probably from the same pothole tbh. :/
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
jp0451
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereldo View Post
Like Norris and Superjackson said, try and get them repaired before shelling out $2,300 for two new wheels. In some cases you can claim insurance on it given you know exactly where it happened and pothole was a product of subpar road maintenance or negligence.

If the bend is so bad that it cant be repaired, you will know. You would experience excessive vibrations, air leaking from tire and vibration in steering wheel.

90% of bent wheels can be repaired to newr perfect roundness (even brand new wheels from factory aren't perfectly round but they all meet a certain tolerances threshold).

Cost to repair bends is ~$100 on average. If the bend is very bad ir you have more than one per wheels, then I would expect to pay $150/wheel. Also keep in mind that a wheel repair shop will need to heat up the wheel before bending it back into shape. This will leave a noticable burn mark in the wheel. If the bend is in the barrel, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's in the face of the wheel and you can't live with a burn mark, then refinishing the wheel may be necessary.

The 759i wheel is a two tone black wheel with machined face. This generally costs more than a simple 1 colour powdercoat. Expect to pay $250 for bend repair and wheel refinish per wheel, totaling to $500 - a far cry from $2,300. You may say that a brand new wheel must be a better choice than a repaired wheel, but they will more or less be the same.

A cracked wheel is a different story. If that's the case (and you would definitely know), I would replace the wheel.

Also, keep in mind that you will lose the "BMW Individual" script in the wheels. It's very hard to replicate that, especially since BMW doesn't sell decals for it.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advises, and i would probably never consider getting brand new wheels from the dealer at that price. Could probably get a decent set of after market ones for much cheaper and better fitments. Will run these tires out first and then see what to do next.
Appreciate 0