BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis M550i - squatting and pitching

02-16-2021, 04:25 AM   #1
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

M550i - squatting and pitching

Hi all!

I've just got my 2017 M550i, I really love the car and with the DHP i find it corners incredibly well, surely due to active roll bars and rear wheel steering!

However I'm a tad annoyed with the squatting under acceleration and diving under braking, although it's somewhat contained with dampers in Sport mode

I don't want to go the coilover route with KW V3 because too low (30 to 50mm lowering), I was thinking of AC Schnitzer springs with 10mm drop would be a good option, anyone has tried them on M550i?

Another thought would be to borrow the F90 M5 springs, FaRKle! your help has been invaluable on the F30 forums, would you happen to know how the G30 M550i and F90 M5 (regular and competition) compare?

Finally, and not for an immediate swap but does anyone know if the F90 M5 dampers are physically compatible with G30 M550i?

Thanks!

Last edited by Lancelot; 02-16-2021 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

I use the kw v3 with the height at half. It has never been too low for clearance and it's actually harder to scrape the front underbody protector with it than stock dampers because it's just much stiffer and has way less travel.
Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      02-20-2021, 05:31 AM   #3
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
I use the kw v3 with the height at half. It has never been too low for clearance and it's actually harder to scrape the front underbody protector with it than stock dampers because it's just much stiffer and has way less travel.
Thanks for the info!

How is comfort with the KW? KW claims they don't compromise comfort but they always do; I used to have KW coilovers on my previous F30 but they didn't deal well with cobblestones and harsh joints etc.

How low is the car on KW? I find the M550i sits low enough as default already, going down another 30mm seems like a lot, but I'm not sure what their reference point is, if the M550i sits lower than a regular 5 series or just 10mm like all M Sport suspensions :-/
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
Big_tugg
Rep
Drives: M550i & 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

How is comfort with the KW? KW claims they don't compromise comfort but they always do; I used to have KW coilovers on my previous F30 but they didn't deal well with cobblestones and harsh joints etc.

How low is the car on KW? I find the M550i sits low enough as default already, going down another 30mm seems like a lot, but I'm not sure what their reference point is, if the M550i sits lower than a regular 5 series or just 10mm like all M Sport suspensions :-/
I had Beltech/KW's on my ESV Escalade…road like a dream. M550i suspension is way to soft!!! I did H&R springs (was recommended to me) road horrible unless driven on great perfect roads! Lowering springs also kills shocks, lost one last week, KW V3 on order
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:55 AM   #5
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_tugg View Post
KW V3 on order
Keep us posted! I’d really like to get your feedback
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #6
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

This is how my car sits with the stock tires, it can probably be raised another 15mm and still be at 3/4 of the adjustment range. Raising to the highest isn't recommended which is probably why KW days minimum 30mm of lowering even though it could be raised far more than that.

As for comfort, it won't be nearly as comfortable as stock suspension's comfort mode if you use KW's recommended settings. It isn't uncomfortable though, I'd still consider it more comfortable than any sports car or small sedan
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      02-24-2021, 08:07 AM   #7
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

This is how my car sits with the stock tires, it can probably be raised another 15mm and still be at 3/4 of the adjustment range. Raising to the highest isn't recommended which is probably why KW days minimum 30mm of lowering even though it could be raised far more than that.

As for comfort, it won't be nearly as comfortable as stock suspension's comfort mode if you use KW's recommended settings. It isn't uncomfortable though, I'd still consider it more comfortable than any sports car or small sedan
Thanks! Really helpful
      04-29-2021, 11:40 PM   #8
Big_tugg
Rep
Drives: M550i & 528i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

What compression and rebound settings are you using
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #9
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_tugg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

What compression and rebound settings are you using
I am using 3 clicks open for compression all around, 6 rebound front and 9 rebound rear. It's almost the same as the factory adjustment but with 1 click stiffer rear compression.
Appreciate 0