BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Brake upgrade to M850I/M Performance brakes

04-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

I never felt that my 2018 M550I brakes were lacking for everyday driving but they look small especially the rears with my 21" summer wheel/tires setup. I was tempted to buy the M performance brakes but found a good deal on a set of used front calipers and discs off a M850 which have 395x36mm discs.

For the rear brakes, if you have a 2020 M550I the rear discs are now 370x24mm vs 2017-2019 345x24mm. When I checked realoem parts, the only difference are the discs and the caliper carriers.

I could have purchased the rear calipers off the M850 but I don't think they would fit on G30. The m850I has 398x28mm rear discs not sure if the calipers would bolt up properly on the rear hub assembly.

Got all the parts on Friday April 23. Booked it at the shop for this Wednesday. The front EBC Redstuff brake pads have more contact surface vs the oem brembo pads. I also notice that in the middle they have a slot/opening. The rear caliper carrier brackets should work with the existing calipers by just extending the calipers further away to accommodate the larger 370x24mm rear discs. I also got stainless steel brake line hoses.
Attached Images

2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
Zereldo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Interesting information. My understanding is that the calipers are interchangeable among all BMWs. I got this information from a dedicated BMW mechanic who retrofits M calipers on base model BMWs and he informed me that one could get away with installing 2020 M550i calipers in a 2010 X5 for instance since the mounting bracket and distance b/w the two bolt on said mounting bracket have never changed in BMWs since early 2000s.

Asentioned in my previous post, I recently had all pads and rotors replaced under a warranty claim and so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to use the M550i (MY2018) calipers I purchased a while back. I am interested in what other aftermarket options are available for pads and rotors that will work with the M550i calipers.

Cost is one concern with OEM parts, I think I got quoted $3k CAD for a set of pads and rotors. I believe a set of good after market rotors and pads from makes like stoptech, powerstop, and Zimmerman to name a few. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any offerings from them that will fit. I'm curious if you know what cost effective options are available for M550i aftermarket brakes.
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      04-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereldo View Post
Interesting information. My understanding is that the calipers are interchangeable among all BMWs. I got this information from a dedicated BMW mechanic who retrofits M calipers on base model BMWs and he informed me that one could get away with installing 2020 M550i calipers in a 2010 X5 for instance since the mounting bracket and distance b/w the two bolt on said mounting bracket have never changed in BMWs since early 2000s.

Asentioned in my previous post, I recently had all pads and rotors replaced under a warranty claim and so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to use the M550i (MY2018) calipers I purchased a while back. I am interested in what other aftermarket options are available for pads and rotors that will work with the M550i calipers.

Cost is one concern with OEM parts, I think I got quoted $3k CAD for a set of pads and rotors. I believe a set of good after market rotors and pads from makes like stoptech, powerstop, and Zimmerman to name a few. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any offerings from them that will fit. I'm curious if you know what cost effective options are available for M550i aftermarket brakes.
The front calipers are interchangeable on most G chassis. The rears I'm not so sure because when I checked part numbers of the m850i rear calipers they're the same as the M5 f90 calipers which require aftermarket mounting adapters. I didn't wanna put something that wasn't made by bmw.

The front rotors I got them with the m850i calipers and the pads in there have lots of life left but I wanted to put low dust pads. The EBC redstuff pads I bought them from partsengine all around for $300 plus hst Canadian dollars. Tdot performance has power stop pads that are also supposed to be low dust.

For the rear rotors I got Zimmermann plain ones for $300 for the pair. I've tried drilled rotors in the past and from my experience after you wash the car they kick off a lot of rust onto the wheels.
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 1
Zereldo18.00
      04-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
Zereldo
Private
Rep

That is very reasonably priced - for pads and rotors. Any chance you can drop a link? I will check out their website when I get home,. though I'm worried about ordering the wrong part.

Will price front and rear rotors (Zimmerman) + front and rear pads (Redstuff)

Drilled rotors are no good, they tend to form stress cracks close to the holes, not to mention higher pad wear. Slotted rotors are more favoured, but drivers won't see any real benefit unless they're tracking the car.

Last edited by Zereldo; 04-17-2021 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #5
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That is very reasonably priced - for pads and rotors. Any chance you can drop a link? I will check out their website when I get home,. though I'm worried about ordering the wrong part.

Will price front and rear rotors (Zimmerman) + front and rear pads (Redstuff)

Drilled rotors are no good, they tend to form stress cracks close to the holes, not to mention higher pad wear. Slotted rotors are more favoured, but drivers won't see any real benefit unless they're tracking the car.
I should be getting the pads by the end of this week. I wanted to confirm fitment and if they perform the same as oem.

EBC redstuff part numbers off the website
Front pads DP32304C
Rear pads DP32089C

These two websites have them in Canadian dollars. I'm sure there's other website where you might find them.

Partsengine.ca or tdotperformance.ca

For the rear rotors I bought them off if ebay for some reason I can't find the listing. This is the part number I used.

34216860927 for the pair
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      04-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
Zereldo
Private
Rep

Awesome, thanks a bunch! I might just install the M sport brakes if I can get all the parts within $1,000.
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      04-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
Zereldo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris83 View Post
I should be getting the pads by the end of this week. I wanted to confirm fitment and if they perform the same as oem.

Front pads DP32304C
Rear pads DP32089C

These two websites have them in Canadian dollars. I'm sure there's other website where you might find them.

For the rear rotors I bought them off if ebay for some reason I can't find the listing. This is the part number I used.

34216860927 for the pair
The brakes pads are showing up as a 7 series part. M550i part number is different. Do you reckon these will work?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #8
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Front pads DP32304C
Rear pads DP32089C

34216860927 for the pair
The brakes pads are showing up as a 7 series part. M550i part number is different. Do you reckon these will work?
On the EBC website and ECS tuning it suggests these part numbers for the brake pads.
The 7 series uses the same pads too. For the front pads if you have 374 discs or 395 diameter discs the pads are the same. For the rear pads if you have m sport or none m sport 5 series 345 or 370mm discs the pads are the same shape.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      04-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Added pictures of all the parts. Here are the part numbers

Rear caliper carrier

34206883005 $189 USD
34206883006 $189 USD

Rear discs

34216860927 $235USD for the pair.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      04-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #10
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Just wanted to report back that everything went great with the installation and fits perfectly.

I was able to upgrade my m550i brakes to M performance brakes for much cheaper than buying the kit it self.

The rear brakes all you really need is new caliper carriers which I mentioned the part numbers in my last post plus larger diameter discs 370x24mm. I recommend you get the EBC brake pads too, the initial bite is good, not sure about dust yet. You can do the rear brakes upgrade without the fronts, you will have almost same diameter rotors front to rear.

Front, you will need M850I calipers or M760li calipers plus 395x36mm discs. I found used calipers and discs for $1000 USD with only 4300 miles.

It's hard to see everything with my multi-spoke wheels. I will take better pictures at some point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #11
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

So far I've only driven about 75 miles or 120 kilometers. So the brake pads are still in the break-in period. EBC says they need up to 1,000 miles, which is pretty high, typically I believe it's 300 miles/500km for break in period for brake pads.

The good :

Initial brake bite response is improved over oem but it's also because I increase the brake rotors/discs. It's basic physics, if you try to loosen a tight bolt with a short wrench vs a longer wrench, it's achievable with less effort. Added stainless steel line hoses but I think that I wouldn't notice as much.

Brake dust is slightly reduced but still there. It's a lighter grey color versus black/brownish color from oem pads.

The bad:

I have an annoying squeak on the rear pads, It's only there when the brakes are warmed up and only under light brake application. I did notice that the rear rotors/discs don't have that clean mirror finish look, like the fronts do. They still have the silver coating in some areas and have that machining look. The fronts have a mirror look to them already. I'm hoping once the rotors are cleaned up that squeak goes away once the break in period is over.

The front pads don't have a squeak at all but they have another issue that I noticed. If you reverse and brake they click once and when you drive forward and brake they click once and it goes away. I noticed the oem front brembo pads have a double sided tape on the back shims vs the EBC doesn't have that double sided tape. The oem pads were literally glued to the calipers pistons. This tells me that the EBC pads move slightly vs oem ones were fixed/glued to the piston which prevents this click. It only happens once when you drive a different direction.

I will update everyone once more in a week or so.

I highly recommend everyone to upgrade the rear rotors/discs from 345x24 to the 370x24mm they look much better, very inexpensive upgrade with just getting the caliper carriers. If i had to do it again under a budget I would just upgrade the rears so I have a more balanced braking power and look. When i check the realoem website it looks like all the new 2020+ with m sport brakes, 540I and M550I have 370x24 rear discs and same size fronts as older models at 374x36.

Attached are pictures of the rear and front rotors/discs, you can see some of the dust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
PetieD 7163.50
540iSUP703.00
      05-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #12
Zereldo
Private
Rep

Great write up and thanks for following up with the install.

I wonder what parts I need in addition to pads, rotors and the calipers themselves.

I have a 2018 530e and installing 2018 M550i M Sport brakes.

Do you reckon I need any additional hardware like caliper brackets for the rear? Different sized brake lines, a new master cylinder?

Mine are the basic brakes (not M sport brakes). The M sport brakes offered in 530e are smaller than the M Sport brakes that comes standard on the M550i.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #13
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Great write up and thanks for following up with the install.

I wonder what parts I need in addition to pads, rotors and the calipers themselves.

I have a 2018 530e and installing 2018 M550i M Sport brakes.

Do you reckon I need any additional hardware like caliper brackets for the rear? Different sized brake lines, a new master cylinder?

Mine are the basic brakes (not M sport brakes). The M sport brakes offered in 530e are smaller than the M Sport brakes that comes standard on the M550i.
I sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So far I've only driven about 75 miles or 120 kilometers. So the brake pads are still in the break-in period. EBC says they need up to 1,000 miles, which is pretty high, typically I believe it's 300 miles/500km for break in period for brake pads.

The good :

Initial brake bite response is improved over oem but it's also because I increase the brake rotors/discs. It's basic physics, if you try to loosen a tight bolt with a short wrench vs a longer wrench, it's achievable with less effort. Added stainless steel line hoses but I think that I wouldn't notice as much.

Brake dust is slightly reduced but still there. It's a lighter grey color versus black/brownish color from oem pads.

The bad:

I have an annoying squeak on the rear pads, It's only there when the brakes are warmed up and only under light brake application. I did notice that the rear rotors/discs don't have that clean mirror finish look, like the fronts do. They still have the silver coating in some areas and have that machining look. The fronts have a mirror look to them already. I'm hoping once the rotors are cleaned up that squeak goes away once the break in period is over.

The front pads don't have a squeak at all but they have another issue that I noticed. If you reverse and brake they click once and when you drive forward and brake they click once and it goes away. I noticed the oem front brembo pads have a double sided tape on the back shims vs the EBC doesn't have that double sided tape. The oem pads were literally glued to the calipers pistons. This tells me that the EBC pads move slightly vs oem ones were fixed/glued to the piston which prevents this click. It only happens once when you drive a different direction.

I will update everyone once more in a week or so.

I highly recommend everyone to upgrade the rear rotors/discs from 345x24 to the 370x24mm they look much better, very inexpensive upgrade with just getting the caliper carriers. If i had to do it again under a budget I would just upgrade the rears so I have a more balanced braking power and look. When i check the realoem website it looks like all the new 2020+ with m sport brakes, 540I and M550I have 370x24 rear discs and same size fronts as older models at 374x36.

Attached are pictures of the rear and front rotors/discs, you can see some of the dust.
I wanted to report back to everyone that I'm very happy with the upgrade and now the noise is completely gone. Even the front brakes don't have the click anymore.
Appreciate 2
PetieD 7163.50
540iSUP703.00
      06-01-2021, 07:02 PM   #15
Zereldo
Private
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to report back to everyone that I'm very happy with the upgrade and now the noise is completely gone. Even the front brakes don't have the click anymore.
Cheers Norris!

I still haven't had the chance to do mine...but I've referenced this post on a couple of G30 Facebook groups and it has helped a few folks.

Happy to hear the noise is gone.
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      06-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #16
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
What EBC pads did you buy?
      06-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #17
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
What EBC pads did you buy?
I went with EBC Redstuff pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #18
sstyle
Private
Rep
Drives: X3MC F97

Hi! Thanks for report. Could you please give more info about dust compares to OEM? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #19
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstyle View Post
Hi! Thanks for report. Could you please give more info about dust compares to OEM? Thanks
It's lower dust for sure but not a lot lower. If I had to say that the m brakes produce 100%, this reduces it down to 65%. I've had other pads on different cars that reduced the dust further to almost none but usually the performance is lower. I rather still see some dust but have good stopping power.
Brembo seems to have two types of brake pads for our cars. One the comes original and another that reduces the dust. I might try those on my wife's X3 to see how they perform.
Appreciate 3
sstyle12.50
540iSUP703.00
      07-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #20
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Do you have the part numbers for that low dust brembo pad?
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      07-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #21
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
Do you have the part numbers for that low dust brembo pad?
Brembo NAO BRAKE PAD.

The fronts are

P06106N

https://www.bremboparts.com/america/...us/pad/P06106N

The rears are

P06101N

https://www.bremboparts.com/america/...us/pad/P06101N
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      03-26-2024, 02:03 AM   #22
Weekend Warrior G30
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xdrive base

Does anyone know if three clear a90 supra wheels?
Appreciate 0