BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions G30 interior replacement

01-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #1
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

G30 interior replacement

Hi guys,

I'm in a process of buying 540ix G30. I am looking at few offers right now, trying to find the right one. One thing in particular I would like is the Nappa, or Merino leather interior as I don't like how the Dakota leather feels.

Issue is, someone just bought the car I wanted, and now there is one good one with unfortunately Dakota leather interior.

I found few offers on Ebay for full set of various G30 interiors - e.g. this Merino leather one. I have some questions about the exchange though:
1. Anybody has any experience with changing these? I.e. how difficult it is and if regular BMW mechanic can do it? I see that entire center console must be replaced
2. If I had the same exact spec of the seats - e.g. my previous ones and these ones were both massage & vented - would it be plug & play? No coding?
3. If these were different - e.g. I got vented seats, but didn't have them before - would it be possible to get working?
4. Do I need to pay attention to the speaker grills? E.g. If the door would have B&W speakers and I had H&K - would that fit?

Thanks a ton!

p.s. I know its not the best solution - but the car I am looking at now is even with this investment (excluding work of course) cheaper so that's why I am thinking about it
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:22 AM   #2
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

I can only comment on 4:

The cabin you´re linking to comes from a car with either the Base Stereo or the Hifi setup. If the car you want to put it in has either B&W or HK you´re lacking the holes for the midranges in the rear doorcards.
      01-12-2020, 01:40 AM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm in a process of buying 540ix G30. I am looking at few offers right now, trying to find the right one. One thing in particular I would like is the Nappa, or Merino leather interior as I don't like how the Dakota leather feels.

Issue is, someone just bought the car I wanted, and now there is one good one with unfortunately Dakota leather interior.

I found few offers on Ebay for full set of various G30 interiors - e.g. this Merino leather one. I have some questions about the exchange though:
1. Anybody has any experience with changing these? I.e. how difficult it is and if regular BMW mechanic can do it? I see that entire center console must be replaced
2. If I had the same exact spec of the seats - e.g. my previous ones and these ones were both massage & vented - would it be plug & play? No coding?
3. If these were different - e.g. I got vented seats, but didn't have them before - would it be possible to get working?
4. Do I need to pay attention to the speaker grills? E.g. If the door would have B&W speakers and I had H&K - would that fit?

Thanks a ton!

p.s. I know its not the best solution - but the car I am looking at now is even with this investment (excluding work of course) cheaper so that's why I am thinking about it
That sounds like a MAJOR pain. Merino option includes leather dash and leather down sides of console. I think you should continue looking for a car with the options you really want.
      01-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
lago1974
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive

Garage List
2023 X5 M50i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks a ton!

I assume you are buying a preowned 540? About a year ago I was doing the same thing and had a really hard time finding the options and color combo I wanted. I decided to custom order a new one. You can get a considerable discount even if you order. Not sure if that's possible for you but figured I'd mention my solution to a similar dilemma.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      01-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
i waited over a yr to find the car I wanted exactly as I wanted. worth the wait,, damn strait!!! my last car, an f30 I made the sacrifices to get in but then spent over 10k to get it specd exactly as I wanted... never again..
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      02-22-2020, 05:40 AM   #6
thomaswang573@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: 218 i

Nappa i think is the best choice
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Silly question , if you waited a year for what you wanted, why not just order it rather than find one that a dealer has previously ordered?

That way you get exactly what you want , only downside is the wait but sounds like you've already a year .
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #8
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

1. A regular mechanic should be able to do it, and if you felt inclined, you could do it yourself. There are step by step direction guides online, and as long as you have the basic tools, you could do the swaps yourself

2. I can't say for sure one way or the other. The Seat Modules are coded, and when you replaced them, it would still have the old vehicles VIN and coding stored on them, which could potentially cause an issue with them not working until they were re-coded to your vehicle

3. As long as you got the correct modules with the seats you purchased, yes, you could get them working with coding. Just remember, you would also then need to replace the controls for the seats, so either the ones on the door panels or the HVAC controls.

4. These should be straight swaps, as the speaker covers are separate parts from the door panels
Appreciate 0