BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Omega Seamaster or Rolex Submariner?

11-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

Quote:
Originally Posted by se15679875 View Post
Do you want generic status symbol #1 or generic status symbol #2?

Unless you're just boundlessly passionate about watches (which is maybe like .01% of the population) the only reason you would want to get either of these two watches is because they are status symbols.

So the next question you have to ask yourself is who do you want recognizing your watch? Rolex tends to have broader brand recognition among average people. If an average person sees or even hears the name "Rolex" they automatically think you're rolling in millions of dollars even though statistically speaking you probably aren't (while most multimillionaires wear rolexes, most people who wear rolexes aren't multimillionaires).

If you want your watch to project wealth to a broad range of people, get the Rolex. If you don't mind the fact that some average people may not even recognize "Omega" as a "status symbol" brand, then get the Omega.

Beyond that it's really about aesthetics and how the watch fits you (although again there are plenty of watches out there that look almost exactly the same as these watches for 1/10 of the price but the brands aren't perceived as status symbols).
says a guy on a BMW forum..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
deep sea is 44mm and regular sea dweller is 40mm
According to the Rolex website, you are correct, the DSSD is 44mm case. Don't know where I got the idea that it was 42.
      11-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
se15679875
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
There is no data that supports your assertion that there are more non-millionaire Rolex owners vs millionaire owners.
Yeah there is, I just didn't source my information.

Roughly 0.9% of the U.S. population has a liquid net worth of $1M+ not including primary residence. Slightly more than half of all millionaires have net worths between $1M and $10M.

If you look at the sub-population of rolex owners, something like 6% of Rolex owners are dollar millionaires which is greater than the general population (0.9%) as a whole but far less than 50%. It's not even close.

The vast majority of Rolex owners are not millionaires. I got this stat from one of Thomas Stanley's books titled "Stop acting rich and start living like a real millionaire"

The point of bringing up this statistic (within the context of the book) was to demonstrate the fact that real millionaires are far more frugal than middle class "aspirationals" seem to think (With Stanley's definition of "aspirational" being a middle class individual with $100k-$1M in net worth not including primary residence who tries to project an image of being wealthier than they really are)

Here's another interesting statistic -

The median amount paid for a watch by people with a net worth of > $5M USD is $300. Half of all pentamillionaires pay less than $300 for a watch and half pay more.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

^^^ irrespective of that...

neither is a grail watch...

if you think you're going to grail-hunt in the next couple years then i would recommend the Omega as an entry point... you get the high-end swiss watch benefits but you put the ~$4k difference in the grail fund for when you're ready to go with a Daytona or an Hublot Big Bang...

if you're just going to have this as your 'One-Watch' then get the Sub with date in stainless with the black face like everyone else who just wants the 'One-Watch'
      11-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Do you want generic status symbol #1 or generic status symbol #2?

Unless you're just boundlessly passionate about watches (which is maybe like .01% of the population) the only reason you would want to get either of these two watches is because they are status symbols.

So the next question you have to ask yourself is who do you want recognizing your watch? Rolex tends to have broader brand recognition among average people. If an average person sees or even hears the name "Rolex" they automatically think you're rolling in millions of dollars even though statistically speaking you probably aren't (while most multimillionaires wear rolexes, most people who wear rolexes aren't multimillionaires).

If you want your watch to project wealth to a broad range of people, get the Rolex. If you don't mind the fact that some average people may not even recognize "Omega" as a "status symbol" brand, then get the Omega.

Beyond that it's really about aesthetics and how the watch fits you (although again there are plenty of watches out there that look almost exactly the same as these watches for 1/10 of the price but the brands aren't perceived as status symbols).
Oh god! I just read this post. This is your 7th post!?
Why are you even here? You know nothing about watches and are NOT a watch person. Do us a favor and LEAVE NOW.
As for the knock-offs that cost 1/10th of the real thing - they COPIED the Rolex and Omega dipshit.
Just go away and please sell your BMW. You're giving us a bad name.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #28
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Why are you even here? You know nothing about watches and are NOT a watch person. Do us a favor and LEAVE NOW.
As for the knock-offs that cost 1/10th of the real thing - they COPIED the Rolex and Omega dipshit.
You are so unbelievably stupid it hurts. Just phenomenally fucking stupid.

No one is talking about knock offs. I'm talking about watches of comparable quality from other brands entirely.

What I'm saying is when you pay $30,000 for a watch you're not necessarily getting a watch that's 30 times better quality than a $1000 watch from another brand, for example.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #29
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
P.S.

Here's some reading material for you -

http://www.smarttutor.com/free-resou...arten-reading/

Once you hit 3rd or 4th grade hopefully you'll learn about context clues and you'll realize that the following caveat from my original post:

Quote:
although again there are plenty of watches out there that look almost exactly the same as these watches for 1/10 of the price but the brands aren't perceived as status symbols
necessarily implies that I am talking about different brands entirely, not knockoffs. Actually you don't even need context clues. You just need to be able to read. "...but the brands aren't perceived as status symbols" directly implies that I'm talking about other brands, not "knock offs."
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #30
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
You are so unbelievably stupid it hurts. Just phenomenally fucking stupid.

No one is talking about knock offs. I'm talking about watches of comparable quality from other brands entirely.

What I'm saying is when you pay $30,000 for a watch you're not necessarily getting a watch that's 30 times better quality than a $1000 watch from another brand, for example.
I didn't say KNOCK OFF moron! I said they copied the styling dipshit! Maybe you should read the link you posted - it might help, but I doubt it.

BTW: The OP isn't asking about $30K watches either. He's asking about $8K watches.

9 posts - you're not worth it. Just go away
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #31
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I thought we were higher end watch and car owners, what's with the moron and dipshit talk?
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

rolex for the wrist, omegas belong somewhere else
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #33
cprx7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i;

Omegas are great watches but not same category as Rolex. If u don't already own a Rolex, I would say buy the submariner
      11-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #34
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Yeah there is, I just didn't source my information.

Roughly 0.9% of the U.S. population has a liquid net worth of $1M+ not including primary residence. Slightly more than half of all millionaires have net worths between $1M and $10M.

If you look at the sub-population of rolex owners, something like 6% of Rolex owners are dollar millionaires which is greater than the general population (0.9%) as a whole but far less than 50%. It's not even close.

The vast majority of Rolex owners are not millionaires. I got this stat from one of Thomas Stanley's books titled "Stop acting rich and start living like a real millionaire"

The point of bringing up this statistic (within the context of the book) was to demonstrate the fact that real millionaires are far more frugal than middle class "aspirationals" seem to think (With Stanley's definition of "aspirational" being a middle class individual with $100k-$1M in net worth not including primary residence who tries to project an image of being wealthier than they really are)

Here's another interesting statistic -

The median amount paid for a watch by people with a net worth of > $5M USD is $300. Half of all pentamillionaires pay less than $300 for a watch and half pay more.
Thomas Stanley is a quack. "The Millionaire Next Door" could have been the biggest waste of my time to read and the waste of $16 I've spent on a book. If people want to nickel and dime their way to being a millionaire by not spending a penny on clothes, luxury goods, or even a decent home, be my guest.

You may have noticed that he also gave a pass to those who's profession relies on image. High end sales, business executives, etc must look the part, I don't care that the ave millionaire drives a crown Vic or spends less than $300 on a watch. Those people look cheap because they are cheap regardless of what their balance sheet looks like.

Back to watches- Stanley doesn't take into account people owning multiple watches. So if you take x amount of millionaires (minus primary residence in the calculations) and divide them by the number of watches Rolex produces, it doesn't give you any more accurate information about millionaire or non-millionaire Rolex owners.

Last edited by RR-NYC; 11-12-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #35
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say KNOCK OFF moron! I said they copied the styling dipshit! Maybe you should read the link you posted - it might help, but I doubt it.

BTW: The OP isn't asking about $30K watches either. He's asking about $8K watches.

9 posts - you're not worth it. Just go away

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #36
Dtme30m3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Fast

I owned a Rolex I traded it for CHOPARD Mille miglia .I traded my chopard for acs type 1 3 piece wheels.my favorite watches are CHOPARD grand turismo xl .or Tag heuer I had aqua racer now I were a carrera.yes Rolex retains its value the best .I just prefer more car inspired watches.I like my watch but if I could afford it I get the grand Carrera or Monaco .Rolex just to boring and farty to me.Tag heuer watches are mans watch and car guys watch Steve mcqueen wore it need i say more.Chopard is very nice too I miss my CHOPARD I don't miss my Rolex .
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #37
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

I have a seamaster 2531.80 aka bond watch (pics in the main watch thread). Omega in the watch world is a good brand but has less prestige than Rolex, but Omega has a younger cooler image thanks to association with 007.

Both pale in comparison to an audemars.
http://www.amazon.com/Audemars-Pigue...4317032&sr=1-4

or Hublot
http://www.amazon.com/Hublot-Ceramic...keywords=hublo

or Patek
http://www.swissluxury.com/patek-phi...Aod82IASw#9830

Point being at sub $10k watch level... try them and see which one expresses you the best and wear what you like. Watch snobs will say get both. Also Omega is known for their scalloped edge not coin edge. I'd recommend the Rolex if you like the coin edge.

My daily watch:

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray

Last edited by spiike32; 11-12-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #38
Dtme30m3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Above your wrist is to small for that watch.it looks ridicules like clown watch .
You should wear 40 mm
Look how big my wrist Is makes watch look small .
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps532f5255.jpg
My problem is I have big wrist and I really need larger size watch .The Rolex was a date just to small .The CHOPARD Mille miglia was to small i needed xl.the aqua racer to small.My carrera better but still on small size for my wrist size.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0555fd5f.jpg

Last edited by Dtme30m3; 11-12-2013 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #39
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtme30m3 View Post
Above your wrist is to small for that watch.it looks ridicules like clown watch .
You should wear 40 mm
Look how big my wrist Is makes watch look small .
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps532f5255.jpg
My problem is I have big wrist and I really need larger size watch .The Rolex was a date just to small .The CHOPARD Mille miglia was to small i needed xl.the aqua racer to small.My carrera better but still on small size for my wrist size.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0555fd5f.jpg
lol you have the opposite problem I have. 41mm on my wrist looks big but trend these days is oversized faces, so in some ways it works. Gotta rock what you love and that seamaster doesn't come in smaller than 41mm for bond (38mm is prebond).

That's good advice to op as well. Wear them and see how they fit.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #40
Dtme30m3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
lol you have the opposite problem I have. 41mm on my wrist looks big but trend these days is oversized faces, so in some ways it works. Gotta rock what you love and that seamaster doesn't come in smaller than 41mm for bond (38mm is prebond).

That's good advice to op as well. Wear them and see how they fit.
Thanks taking that right way .wow thats only 41 mm jeeze I guess mine is 40mm and look how small it looks lol.I know I gained weight but even when I was 175 my wrist same size but now I'm over weight 225 lol.
Yes so true about size for me a 42-44 is size I should wear to look normal size .The Rolex was 38mm to small on me.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #41
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

lacking some girth, boys?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #42
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
Omega in the watch world is a good brand but has less prestige than Rolex, but Omega has a younger cooler image thanks to association with 007.

this is geographical.

Apparently with their strategic use of Asian brand ambassadors Omega is equivalent or arguably more prestigious in Asia than Rolex is.

Omega is also raising their prices every year to bridge that gap though it will take some time.

A lot of this has to do with marketing spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Time
The big spender last year, as usual, was Rolex, with a U.S. ad buy of $52.14 million. Rolex has vastly outspent all of its competition since 2000, when it took the #1 spot on the list from Timex. In 2012 Rolex reached a new milestone, spending over $50 million on advertising. No brand has ever spent this much on advertising before. As has been true since 2007, Breitling followed Rolex at #2 on the list. Both brands increased their spending by about 11 percent.

The next largest spender was Omega. It spent $23.2 million last year, up 137 percent from 2011, and jumped from ninth to third place, its highest ranking in a decade. The media blitz was the result of a “perfect storm” for the brand in 2012: Omega was the official timekeeper for the London Olympic Games and for the Ryder Cup, and had tie-ins with the James Bond movie “Skyfall.” Omega spent $16 million on television advertising, a media channel rarely used by luxury watch brands.
http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-...ll-time-high/#

With reference to prior comment about Omega vs. Rolex in China

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aG8H3YKlGUsU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomberg
When it came to choosing a new watch, Ma Jun had no hesitation in selecting a $6,800 Omega Constellation over a Rolex.

“Omega’s designs are newer and trendier,” said the 30-year-old businessman from Hangzhou, China. He bought the watch a month ago after seeing advertisements featuring swimmer Michael Phelps and actress Zhang Ziyi. “Rolex is old and traditional.”
Wow eh... agreeing with another member then supporting it with references... is this still the internet?
      11-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #43
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I own both as well (Older Bond SMP circa 1997 and Sub C). Both are great watches and when I purchased my Omega back in 1997, I couldn't afford a Rolex (Paid $1000 for SMP and Sub's were going for $$3200 back then). Fast forward to present day, able to afford the Sub C now so I bought it last year. I love them both, I wear the Omega as a daily as I'm outside and teaching all day and wear the Sub on my days off. Is the Rolex worth 8X the value of my Omega? Probably not, I really don't care. I enjoy both and I plan on keeping both and passing them to my kids one day.

OP, can't go wrong with either. Get the one that you like. Like many has mentioned before, the Rolex will hold it's value better than Omega's.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #44
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
This OMEGA SEAMASTER DIVER 300 M CHRONOGRAPH 41.5mm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0