BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW DISPLAY KEY 530e

04-10-2024, 09:56 AM   #1
t0nyyyy
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e LCI

BMW DISPLAY KEY 530e

Hello, I heard that Display key's battery performance is low. I want to know that does display key works like a normal key? Without screen. is it possible? can i use just only buttons to unlock/lock my bmw not screen. How about battery? if I use only buttons not screen?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 11:49 AM   #2
FerasMF
Jordan
Rep
Drives: 530i 2023

My car is 530i LCI. The display key battery will last for 2-3 weeks if charged fully. But i rarely turn on the screen. I just use it like the (old) key fob pressing buttons to lock/unlock most of the time. It will still work as such even when the battery is fully discharged. I think your key will display a notification when your car is connected to charger and that might consume the key battery and you might need to charge the key more often. But as I said my key fob still works to lock/unlock (and recognise my driver profile) even when its battery is fully discharged.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 11:51 AM   #3
t0nyyyy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerasMF View Post
My car is 530i LCI. The display key battery will last for 2-3 weeks if charged fully. But i rarely turn on the screen. I just use it like the (old) key fob pressing buttons to lock/unlock most of the time. It will still work as such even when the battery is fully discharged. I think your key will display a notification when your car is connected to charger and that might consume the key battery and you might need to charge the key more often. But as I said my key fob still works to lock/unlock (and recognise my driver profile) even when its battery is fully discharged.
That is What I want to know. Thank you very much.
Appreciate 1
FerasMF28.50
      04-10-2024, 11:57 AM   #4
eric_gm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i - Blown E39

The display key has two batteries. A long life battery that functions just like your other remotes and the battery that powers the display and all the smart features.

As a smart key it lasts a couple of weeks or so, depending on how often you turn the screen on.

As a regular keyless fob, it will last years. It doesn't matter if the other battery is depleted, it will still work as a regular key and will be recognized by the car.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 02:57 PM   #5
t0nyyyy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_gm View Post
The display key has two batteries. A long life battery that functions just like your other remotes and the battery that powers the display and all the smart features.

As a smart key it lasts a couple of weeks or so, depending on how often you turn the screen on.

As a regular keyless fob, it will last years. It doesn't matter if the other battery is depleted, it will still work as a regular key and will be recognized by the car.
I'm happy to hear that info. Appreciate that
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 01:31 PM   #6
Jemster68
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xdrive

Quote:

This has interested me. I never use the display key as the lousy battery life concerned me. So having read this, I thought I’d grab mine, last used a few months ago, and try to unlock the car. And it doesn’t work. I guarantee if I charge it, it will work ok.

I then thought I’d look for info on how to change the 2nd battery, but anything I found seems to only refer to the single rechargeable battery. Have you any more info on this? Has LCI a different display key from pre-LCI perhaps? Can the 2nd battery be changed?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 01:44 PM   #7
eric_gm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i - Blown E39

Did you try unlocking via the display key buttons or by grabbing the door handle with the key in your pocket (if you have comfort access)?

I am 100% sure my key works via comfort access even if the main battery is depleted. But I admit I have taken mine apart and I haven't seen this secondary battery that I see referred in some places. My guess is that uses some residual charge from the main battery to keep some basic functions active? Or there is indeed a secondary battery that somehow I didn't see and in your case it also failed?

Here are some mentions of these 2 batteries inside, so you see I'm not a madman:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1693129
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1777462
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1953268
Appreciate 1
Gautam618.00
      04-11-2024, 01:49 PM   #8
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemster68 View Post
This has interested me. I never use the display key as the lousy battery life concerned me. So having read this, I thought I’d grab mine, last used a few months ago, and try to unlock the car. And it doesn’t work. I guarantee if I charge it, it will work ok.

I then thought I’d look for info on how to change the 2nd battery, but anything I found seems to only refer to the single rechargeable battery. Have you any more info on this? Has LCI a different display key from pre-LCI perhaps? Can the 2nd battery be changed?
Quote:
Did you try unlocking via the display key buttons or by grabbing the door handle with the key in your pocket (if you have comfort access)?

I am 100% sure my key works via comfort access even if the main battery is depleted. But I admit I have taken mine apart and I haven't seen this secondary battery that I see referred in some places. My guess is that uses some residual charge from the main battery to keep some basic functions active? Or there is indeed a secondary battery that somehow I didn't see and in your case it also failed?

Here are some mentions of these 2 batteries inside, so you see I'm not a madman:

I encountered what eric_gm stated. My first display key was defective and couldn't hold a charge (on the "main" battery) and still functioned fine with comfort access for a couple of months.
      04-12-2024, 08:54 AM   #9
Jemster68
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, when you mentioned it earlier, I did search it out and did find it mentioned on threads so not questioning your sanity, but I couldn't find any info on changing it and YouTube vids didn't seem to show anything aside from the single rechargeable battery.

I admit I didn't go try out the comfort access, I simply used the buttons. Assuming if there was a battery like the regular keys, it would still be usable. I'll give the comfort a go tonight, maybe that is the... err... key.

I'd like it to work, the Display Key does look kinda cool, but it has sat in a drawer since getting the car as the first time I charged it, it died within a week. Judging by the condition of the key, the previous owner did the same thing as it hasn't a mark on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 01:57 PM   #10
Jemster68
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, just tested out Comfort Access and nope. Nothing. Dead as a very dead thing.

I might charge it and see how long it’ll work for as an experiment. I certainly wouldn’t be trusting it though - imagine going on holiday for a couple of weeks and coming back to an unlockable car in an airport car park. Not my idea of fun.
Appreciate 0