BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Intelligent safety and hard braking ..

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
naylon
Private
11
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: M3 / G30 530ix
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Istanbul Turkey

iTrader: (0)

Intelligent safety and hard braking ..

Intelligent safety kicked in all of a sudden in the middle of the highway at 30 mph. Car braked all of a sudden.

A week later, at 10 mph, a man was walking next to my car and Intelligent Safety kicked in violently.

I did not wash my G30 for the last 50 days, maybe the camera got dirty?

I was stressed once the car braked so hard as the car behind me could have hit me...

I decreased the sensitivity of intelligent safety and washed the camera (front wind shield)

Did anyone experience the same problem where Intelligent Safety kicked in all of a sudden?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
clee1982
Captain
United_States
391
Rep
986
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I haven't had it kicked in for real yet other once where one bus comes ridiculous into my way and the whole car just beep left and right...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
29
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 530i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
^^^ same here... haven't had it kicked into once. Even at the most sensitive setting, I find that it is not as sensitive as the warnings in the Mercedes.

It only gives visual warnings pretty late, and audible warning is even later... in a Mercedes, it only has an audible warning and it appears to be much more sensitive, which I actually like.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Major
United_States
672
Rep
1,463
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

13 months in and never happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Captain
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
539
Rep
823
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by naylon View Post
Intelligent safety kicked in all of a sudden in the middle of the highway at 30 mph. Car braked all of a sudden.

A week later, at 10 mph, a man was walking next to my car and Intelligent Safety kicked in violently.

I did not wash my G30 for the last 50 days, maybe the camera got dirty?

I was stressed once the car braked so hard as the car behind me could have hit me...

I decreased the sensitivity of intelligent safety and washed the camera (front wind shield)

Did anyone experience the same problem where Intelligent Safety kicked in all of a sudden?
I got my car washed a few weeks ago, and the guy put the car in reverse and let go of the brake which caused my car to stop 3 or 4 times and he was freaking out. There was something he was about to run over on the ground like a towel or something.
__________________
2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan | 2018 BMW 230i Coupe | 2017 X6 BMW xDrive35i | 2011 BMW S1000RR (BMW Motorrad) | 2008 BMW 528i Sedan
Appreciate 1
clee1982390.50

      03-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
29
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 530i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I got my car washed a few weeks ago, and the guy put the car in reverse and let go of the brake which caused my car to stop 3 or 4 times and he was freaking out. There was something he was about to run over on the ground like a towel or something.
OOOOOO the reversing auto brake feature had happen a few times, especially when there is snow and its covering the sensors... freaked me out a few times... So I currently disabled that feature...

But in terms of going forward, never happened to me before.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
HandyAndy1960
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

I have had my 530e for six months and covered some 5000 miles, system has triggered on numerous occasions but never braked by itself.... until last Wednesday. I was on a clear road, no traffic or pedestrians, weather was good and dry, car was clean. I was travelling at about 25-30 mph on a road I use every day on my way to work when suddenly the car did a full emergency stop all by itself. I reported this to BMW and they have taken the car into a local dealer where itís has been for over a week. They have apparently updated all of the Ďmodulesí with the latest software and road tested the car. Iím not sure I will ever feel the same about the car as I will never really know if the fault has been cured. I wanted to be able to turn the system off as I feel that the safety system is a safety issue in itself, but BMW will not do this as itís a safety system!
This is my ninth BMW on the trot and I feel it may be my last.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Private
29
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: Mercedes C300
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy1960 View Post
I have had my 530e for six months and covered some 5000 miles, system has triggered on numerous occasions but never braked by itself.... until last Wednesday. I was on a clear road, no traffic or pedestrians, weather was good and dry, car was clean. I was travelling at about 25-30 mph on a road I use every day on my way to work when suddenly the car did a full emergency stop all by itself. I reported this to BMW and they have taken the car into a local dealer where itís has been for over a week. They have apparently updated all of the Ďmodulesí with the latest software and road tested the car. Iím not sure I will ever feel the same about the car as I will never really know if the fault has been cured. I wanted to be able to turn the system off as I feel that the safety system is a safety issue in itself, but BMW will not do this as itís a safety system!
This is my ninth BMW on the trot and I feel it may be my last.
All cars with these sensors experience this to some degree, or better said they have the possibility of experiencing this, and there was an extensive write up in the WSJ recently looking at this across manufacturers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-auto...003cb338b6de7f

The safety systems are great, but they aren't yet fully capable of replacing human drivers and can be impacted by a variety of factors. Having a clean car is a must as dirty sensors can cause problems, but as the BMW manual notes so can certain conditions.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 4.45.08 PM.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  168.4 KB

You can also disable any of the systems individually or all at once via the button in the car or in your profile. Honestly, it only makes sense to read the manual if you're operating a car with these systems so you can actually understand how they work...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 4.48.41 PM.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  123.8 KB
Appreciate 1
clee1982390.50

      09-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
LuvMyE92's Avatar
United_States
206
Rep
680
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

iTrader: (0)

in my former car (F01) the brake warning and activation was far too sensitive, even when set to "late", so I often turned it off. The G30, so far, is not nearly as sensitive.

False alarms are not unknown and I read about it in Car & Driver as well. Personally, I don't like the system, but then I also don't like the blind-spot monitor but yet it saved me once (I wasn't paying enough attention) so I do see the benefit to these systems and leave them on most of the time.

I fear for us when these systems get older and more sensors, wiring, computers, etc. start to fail.
__________________
F87 (mine)
E90 (hers)
G30 (ours)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
591
Rep
2,577
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

You can see why cars like this get written off for seemingly minor damage as the cost to fix the electronics will be prohibitive several years down the toad.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
LogicalApex
Private
29
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: Mercedes C300
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
You can see why cars like this get written off for seemingly minor damage as the cost to fix the electronics will be prohibitive several years down the toad.
This would cover all modern cars?

New Toyota cars all come with radar based cruise control, blind spot detection, etc as standard equipment.

https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/

Once the body shops re-tool the costs to repair will come down again.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST