BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis TPMS Malfunction

05-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

TPMS Malfunction

I have an intermittent TPMS malfunction. I get the amber tire icon and no tire pressure indication from any of the wheels. It fails, then comes back up after an hour or so, then fails again.

My SA said this could be caused by the failure of a single TPMS transmitter in one wheel, say a failing battery...can anyone confirm this? Or would it be a failing component in the vehicle? I wanted to be a little more educated about the system before I see my SA again so I can ask him to try something more effective than just pairing the sensors again.

I would think the next step would be to replace each tire pressure sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flier View Post
I have an intermittent TPMS malfunction. I get the amber tire icon and no tire pressure indication from any of the wheels. It fails, then comes back up after an hour or so, then fails again.

My SA said this could be caused by the failure of a single TPMS transmitter in one wheel, say a failing battery...can anyone confirm this? Or would it be a failing component in the vehicle? I wanted to be a little more educated about the system before I see my SA again so I can ask him to try something more effective than just pairing the sensors again.

I would think the next step would be to replace each tire pressure sensor.
What was the resolution of this issue? This started happening to me last week.

@highflier
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for reviving my post, I thought this was long dead. The TPMS was a problem on and off through 2019, up until I stopped driving it for the winter. I started driving the car again in April after the snow melted. The TPMS malfunction hasn't happened at all this year. I never got to the point where I took it in to get fixed.

In discussions with the SA, though, I think the next step is to replace the sensors in each tire. He was pretty sure that the failure of a single sensor would cause the TPMS malfunction where none of the pressures are displayed. I think the sensors are battery powered, and they're normally switched out when you get new tires. You may have a sensor with a low battery.

I'm still on my original tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flier View Post
Thanks for reviving my post, I thought this was long dead. The TPMS was a problem on and off through 2019, up until I stopped driving it for the winter. I started driving the car again in April after the snow melted. The TPMS malfunction hasn't happened at all this year. I never got to the point where I took it in to get fixed.

In discussions with the SA, though, I think the next step is to replace the sensors in each tire. He was pretty sure that the failure of a single sensor would cause the TPMS malfunction where none of the pressures are displayed. I think the sensors are battery powered, and they're normally switched out when you get new tires. You may have a sensor with a low battery.

I'm still on my original tires.
Thanks for the reply. Mine are flaking on and off. They work for a day or two then the system fails. I made an appointment at the dealer for Thursday and they will run it down. I am going to guess one of the units has failed or is defective.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

rellascout: Please let us know what your dealer says about this! I'd like to know if they fixed it and what was done.
Appreciate 0