BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Driving Assistance coding

05-17-2019, 03:54 AM   #1
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Driving Assistance coding

I have radar cruise and steering assistance with my car. I do 90% freeway driving and the car does an amazing job of keeping a safe distance from the car in front and in its lane. I use the lightest touch on the wheel and the car drives itself beautifully.

The only frustrating part is that every 45 seconds or so I need touch the stealing wheel so the little yellow nag goes away.

Is there anyway to code this out????

(Asking for a friend).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

I've read a number of articles on this and it's just asking for trouble overriding these particular safety features.

BMW Drive Assistant offers level 2 autonomy. If you need to understand what this is, please refer to the below article.

In short, you shouldn't want to or even consider coding this option out (if it's at all possible), and anyone offering should think twice about offering such a service.

If the worst were to happen, this one is on you for providing a commercial service to the seller....

Information directly from BMW here:

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...s-driving.html

And a list showing Levels of Automotive Automation

Level 0: No Automation. The driver performs all of the tasks.

Level 1: Driver Assistance. The driver handles all of the accelerating, braking, and monitoring of surrounding environment. An example of this level is when a car brakes for you in a critical moment.

Level 2: Partial Automation. The vehicle assists with steering and acceleration functions and allows the driver to disengage.

Level 3: Conditional Automation. The vehicle controls all monitoring of the environment using sensors. The driver's attention is critical but the AV system runs the safety critical functions. This level does not require human attention under 37 miles per hour.

Level 4: High Automation. Vehicle is capable of steering, braking, and accelerating, as well as responding to events and changing lanes. The system is switched into the mode under safe conditions, but the vehicle cannot determine dynamic instances like traffic jams or merging onto the highway. Most likely ETA 7-10 years.

Level 5: Complete Automation. No human attention required. No need for pedals, brakes, or a steering wheel. The AV controls all critical tasks, monitoring of the environment and identification of unique driving conditions like traffic jams. Most likely ETA 10-15 years.
Symo60.50
claykin1579.00
      05-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

+1
Agree I think you are setting your self up for a fall by doing that. If it were possible you might given the longer periods of time between having to do something let you attention decrease (maybe unintentionally )

I've used it in my car for nearly 2 years now and although I like it it certainly is not perfect. Use as intended with hands on and it's ok.

Maybe the lci may be better (but still level 2) .
Appreciate 2
Symo60.50
clee1982796.00
      05-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I don't think there's a way to increase the amount of time before you get the yellow warning light, however, there may be a way to increase the speed limit BMW set for the traffic jam assistance which deactivates once your speed passes 37 or 42 MPH (can't remember) thus ultimately allowing you to never have to touch the steering wheel or gas/brake when going under that speed.

I agree with the above posts, though. BMW set these parameters on purpose. While it would be cool and maybe useful sometimes, the overall risk and potential for devastating consequences outweigh the benefit, IMO.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 05-20-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
Symo60.50
      05-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
I don't think there's a way to increase the amount of time before you get the yellow warning light, however, there may be a way to increase the speed limit BMW set for the traffic jam assistance which deactivates once your speed passes 37 or 42 MPH (can't remember) thus ultimately allowing you to never have to touch the steering wheel or gas/brake when going under that speed.

I agree with the above posts, though. BMW set these parameters on purpose. While it would be cool and maybe useful sometimes, the overall risk and potential for devastating consequences outweigh the benefit, IMO.
Sorry this is incorrect. You need to touch the steering wheel at regular intervals even in the Traffic Jam mode. Therefore, Traffic Jam max speed has no bearing on the matter.

Only exception I've noticed is when you are under extremely low speeds (under 10mph in my experience) in motorway conditions (I.e. no chance of pedestrians), car will allow for hands off for prolonged periods.
Appreciate 1
Symo60.50
      05-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Can't be coded.
Appreciate 1
Symo60.50
      05-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Sorry this is incorrect. You need to touch the steering wheel at regular intervals even in the Traffic Jam mode. Therefore, Traffic Jam max speed has no bearing on the matter.

Only exception I've noticed is when you are under extremely low speeds (under 10mph in my experience) in motorway conditions (I.e. no chance of pedestrians), car will allow for hands off for prolonged periods.
I should retract that you never have to touch the steering wheel in traffic jam assistance mode.

When I used it, I was able to go several minutes without touching the steering wheel and actually put my hands back on the wheel before I was even prompted to do so because traffic had let up. I figured if it hadn't prompted me to touch the steering wheel after 4 or 5 minutes then it wouldn't at all and I could go on indefinitely as long as your speed was under 43 MPH.

EDIT: For what it's worth, these were my driving conditions: Well striped road with 4 lanes of traffic (2 lanes each direction) and a median in the center dividing the cars moving in opposite directions. Speed limit for the road was 50 MPH (had cruise set to 42 because I was experimenting with TJA) and my speed never went over 10 MPH during this experience until I put my hands back on the wheel and ultimately turned. I should have timed how long my hands were off, but it was at least 5 minutes, could have been as long as 8+ minutes.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 05-21-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      05-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
I found that the slower I'm going, as in traffic, the more time between having to touch the wheel. I also found that I can nudge the wheel with my knee when it turns yellow...
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Symo
Australia
Rep

I have been experimenting more. Seems you don't even have to nudge the wheel. I sit with mr right hand on my right knee, palm up and just let my fingers drag on the bottom right lower corner of the wheel. The. Wheel freely slips through my fingers and I never get the yellow caution. Somehow the car knows my fingers are on the wheel.

540 is such a clever car.
Appreciate 2
ADS-UK498.50
clee1982796.00
      05-30-2019, 12:14 AM   #10
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symo View Post
I have been experimenting more. Seems you don't even have to nudge the wheel. I sit with mr right hand on my right knee, palm up and just let my fingers drag on the bottom right lower corner of the wheel. The. Wheel freely slips through my fingers and I never get the yellow caution. Somehow the car knows my fingers are on the wheel.

If your steering wheel is low enough and your leg is brushing the steering wheel, that'll do the job too

But when you do that, you need to stay alert and watch the road carefully as the car will disengage steering assist without any audible warning.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:12 AM   #11
Symo
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symo View Post

If your steering wheel is low enough and your leg is brushing the steering wheel, that'll do the job too

But when you do that, you need to stay alert and watch the road carefully as the car will disengage steering assist without any audible warning.
I always watch the road and drive carefully. I'm always alert. My reason for starting this thread wasn't so I could hope in the backseat with the good lady on the way to work ( although that would be nice). It's more to see if it was possible and to stop the nag screen.

Also I have coded the car for video in motion but I don't drive along with the TV on and me watching it.

All in all I'm vary happy with the car
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #12
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
I cannot imagine the wheel low enough to touch my legs. Best to hope no airbag deployment, unless looking for a cheap and fast vasectomy.
      06-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Appreciate 1
Symo60.50
      06-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
i was just checking out the video, So how was this possible? I can only imagine within the coding?
Appreciate 1
Symo60.50
      06-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
i was just checking out the video, So how was this possible? I can only imagine within the coding?
This video has been circulating for a while, but I'm not sure of the authenticity. I mean whether it's actually coded or as it came from factory. Driving Assistance plus operates differently depending on the environment and driving conditions. As an example, I've had instances where I didn't have to intervene for well over 9 mins.
Appreciate 1
Symo60.50
      06-10-2019, 04:16 AM   #16
Symo
Australia
Rep

I now sit with my left leg bent so it just touches the lower left corner of the wheel. With radar cruise and my new seating position the car takes me on my 40 minute commute to work and home each day virtually unassisted by me.

Obviously I watch the road and keep alert but it's nice to just sit and let the car take me.

It's such a pain in the ass to ensure hand on the wheel every 30 seconds. Must be an Australian thing.

It would be so much nicer if the legislation kept up with the technology
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      06-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelston View Post
Different markets have varying legal requirements.

If you learn which ones do not require hands, you could create files to compare to yours.

I have never been motivated enough to put in work.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
It can be coded for anyone wondering. I’m more looking for the code to change for having ACC distance default to 1. All the cheats I’ve found are very vague or don’t show what module it’s under. Coding my F15 was much easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #19
goat milk
Private
Rep
Drives: g30 LCI

I was told that the Japanese models don't have the hands off sensor, and that it will cost $600 to have that "japanese sensor" put in, as there's no way to code it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #20
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Yes it can be coded, I can code it remotely.
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #21
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

mrgicm, can you code this remotely for me? PM me please and let me know what you charge for this.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #22
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
mrgicm, can you code this remotely for me? PM me please and let me know what you charge for this.
PM sent
Appreciate 0