BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Piggyback Chip Recommendations

11-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #23
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

I was thinking that same thing, I wish the pricing was lower. My mistake I believe I am in a 540 category. All I am trying to say is RaceChip, or speedbuster do as they claim. You will notice added performance. If remote feature is important then I would reach out to tech support for which ever brand you chose. Because with RaceChip they claim it works but let me tell you first hand it does not.. To be honest I've had it in setting 5nit works fine. And I can still select the onboard settings. Such as sport or comfort eco.. To your point what I have learned in my years that almost anything you do to your engine that is aftermarket it has a cause and effect. You want more HP? Then you might have to change your exhaust or perhaps intake. As far as quality Pearce Of mind Dinan would be the best choice of course you pay what you get... This is way I like these forms we can all help each other out. Good day to you
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #24
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

I just picked up a Speed-Buster for my 550 on their BF/CM Special. Figured for only$400, it is worth a shot. I'm hoping their app interface works like it is claimed.
Most all these piggyback chips seem to produce relatively same results so the devil will be in the details like user interface.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #25
Jelston
Private
Rep

keep us posted how it goes
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #26
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelston View Post
. Because with RaceChip they claim it works but let me tell you first hand it does not..
That is a pretty serious accusations.
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #27
Jelston
Private
Rep

this was ftom racechip engineering
Dear

Thank you for contacting the RaceChip US Customer Service.

I regret to inform you that the unit you purchased does not come with the bluetooth chipped installed, therefore the app feature will not work. Additionally, our app requires a specific type of signal coming from the sensor, and the 2018 M550 does not have the required signal type. For this reason, the app feature is not offered for your car. I do apologize for any inconvenience
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:38 AM   #28
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

OUCH....
and Odd... I get if they have units that dont have BT connectivity (Like a first Gen or something) but the whole "signal from sensor" doesn't make sense as the app should just need to communicate with the Piggyback unit and that PiggyBack translates what the App is telling it to do to the car's ECU.

Quote:
this was ftom racechip engineering
Dear

Thank you for contacting the RaceChip US Customer Service.

I regret to inform you that the unit you purchased does not come with the bluetooth chipped installed, therefore the app feature will not work. Additionally, our app requires a specific type of signal coming from the sensor, and the 2018 M550 does not have the required signal type. For this reason, the app feature is not offered for your car. I do apologize for any inconvenience
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #29
Jelston
Private
Rep

Odd is correct... The unit when hooked up lights up the display but never the icon for bluetooth. Its strange.. I mean way would they advertise it as this would be a major reason to buy the GTS black. They do have great customer service. and to be honest i really dont change any of the settings as i can do this. perhaps its just a inconvenience.. Opening the hood.... would think the speedbuster would work. as when i had contacted them to make a inquiry it has a dedicated power and ground as well as the connections are different. i did notice that on Dinan website they now offer the Elite series or something like that. and if the picture is correct its similar in the sense that it now makes its connections at the tmap sensor just like the Racechip.. and i am not sure that Dinan offers a app. maybe some one that has the new Dinan Elite can let us know.. All i can think of is it doesn't have a dedicated power and ground, the reason it doesn't work.. i dont know.. If i was going to do this again i think like you i would try speedbuster. for the cost, its worth the try..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #30
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@Jelston , should've reach out to me.
RaceChip just recently open their office in the US.
I have been selling RaceChip over 3 years now and I work closely with them.
And I have the same capability as their US office since I work closely with them.
My apology that you got misinformed by them, it could be lots of reasons.

To clarify your statement, only the App function didn't work, right? The module itself still working as far as bumping up the horsepower, am I right?

App wise, you will need specific module that have the Bluetooth Chip embedded. It is not software based that can be turned on or off. So during your ordering, you will need to specify whether you want the App function or not.
Yet, the App function is not available on all vehicle application. RaceChip engineers who decides which vehicle that's capable to use the App function or whether they have developed the App function.

In your case, N63 series engine (covers N63 and N63tu) doesn't have App function available.
I have pushed them and mentioned to their management everytime we are having a meeting.

As you mentioned though, App function is just a matter of convenience. Once you have it set to the map that you like, you will never touch it or change it.
Like myself, since I installed it the first week I got my G30 540i in 2017, I rarely change it.

I have used and sell and installed a few other piggy back brands, and RaceChip has been my favorite in the past 3 years. Some of my customers even switched from other brands, even OBD2 flash tunes to RaceChip.
They have a great product and great customer support. Just sometime there is miscommunication.
Don't get me wrong though, their English are great, just some are not translated in simple non technical word for normal people to understand.
I can understand it since I also have engineering and manufacturing background.

I hope this answer and clears some confusion here.
I hate to see a good product gone bad just because of misunderstanding.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #31
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

Got a check engine light from Racechip today and got it out. Will be getting a ecu tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #32
Jelston
Private
Rep

Yes its just the app that doesn't work. Its just strange that when you are ordering the product and read the description it gives the impression that the GTS black has a digital display with the app function. either way i have it and does provide an increase of power. However it some of the map setting i do notice a change in drivability. Such as a slight rough idle, or at crusing speed i can feel a shudder. I will change the map setting and it does feel better. The higher the settings the more noticeable a issue. From a dead stop and hard acceleration this thing hauls A$#... Strangely today i got a check engine lamp code p112f. perhaps with your connections you can offer a suggestion on what to do... For what it cost its been alot fun aside from the drivability issue. however its going to cause check engine lamps and unless i got a product thats defective i will be needing to go a different route.. Thats Rgsport
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #33
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes its just the app that doesn't work. Its just strange that when you are ordering the product and read the description it gives the impression that the GTS black has a digital display with the app function. either way i have it and does provide an increase of power. However it some of the map setting i do notice a change in drivability. Such as a slight rough idle, or at crusing speed i can feel a shudder. I will change the map setting and it does feel better. The higher the settings the more noticeable a issue. From a dead stop and hard acceleration this thing hauls A$#... Strangely today i got a check engine lamp code p112f. perhaps with your connections you can offer a suggestion on what to do... For what it cost its been alot fun aside from the drivability issue. however its going to cause check engine lamps and unless i got a product thats defective i will be needing to go a different route.. Thats Rgsport
Based on Google, that CEL is for MAP sensor Bank 1.
Try to run with the Dummy Plug and see if that error comes back.
Also, what gas are you using?
Some of my customers upgraded to a step colder plug too, which in result smoother idling.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #34
Jelston
Private
Rep

I am running 93, when i first installed this product and experienced some slight driveability issue. i had gotten ahold of racechip customer service they got back with me relatively quickly and at that time i was running 92 at that moment but since then 93.. I have reached back out to Racechip customer service ill let you know what they say
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      11-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #35
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Based on Google, that CEL is for MAP sensor Bank 1.
Try to run with the Dummy Plug and see if that error comes back.
Also, what gas are you using?
Some of my customers upgraded to a step colder plug too, which in result smoother idling.
Do you know what the specs are for the stock and these colder plugs?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #36
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Do you know what the specs are for the stock and these colder plugs?
I believe people been using NGK 5992 with 0.022" gap.
Appreciate 0