BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Dinan Elite - Failed?

02-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Dinan Elite - Failed?

Anyone have any experience with their box going bad? I've had two rough startups, but other than that the unit has been fine (installed >1 year; rough startups all in the past 30 days). This morning it was rough; didn't recover. It triggered a reduced power warning. Took it to the dealer, they ran the codes and everything that returned a short/fault was connected to the Dinan unit.

Verified power is there (the Dinan app connects), re-checked connections and still had a fault. Removed the tune entirely and while the CEL remains on, no more active fault, and normal power has been restored. I am assuming the CEL will clear after a few cycles.

Will contact Dinan tomorrow obviously, but since they are closed and this is the internet, figured I'd solicit feedback.

Thanks
      02-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

No issues with my Dinan Stage 1. Was installed by my BMW dealer last summer and has run flawlessly since then. Dinan has usually been very responsive so I would contact them or the dealer who installed it. Did a dealer do the install?
      02-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Called them and sent the info via email, will see what happens.
      02-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
No issues with my Dinan Stage 1. Was installed by my BMW dealer last summer and has run flawlessly since then.
Same here.
      02-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Ouchh. I hope you'll get it sorted out.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Should be all sorted; they are going to send me an Elite V2. I was hoping to get some more details about it since the V2 drops to two sensor connections (just as the Sport module has), as opposed to four connections in the original Elite. Unfortunately my questions about more detail, i.e. is this just a sport with the warranty, or is it actually mode advanced, received a canned answer with no detail (more reliable, simplified setup). If it performs the same as the V1 I can't complain, but I tried the Sport originally and sold it due to the lack of smoothness it introduced [initial acceleration sort of dipped to no power then picked up; felt like I would be rear ended when I would take off].

Will update the thread when the new unit is installed.
      02-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

Mine did not work, returned elite box...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
No issues with my Dinan Stage 1. Was installed by my BMW dealer last summer and has run flawlessly since then. Dinan has usually been very responsive so I would contact them or the dealer who installed it. Did a dealer do the install?
I can't believe that installing this does not void the factory warranty. I'm even more surprised that a dealership would install it. Awesomeness!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
I can't believe that installing this does not void the factory warranty. I'm even more surprised that a dealership would install it. Awesomeness!
That's the point of going with Dinan vs others. The warranty.

Also, some BMW dealerships are also Dinan dealers (Mine is) and will install them.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Also, some BMW dealerships are also Dinan dealers (Mine is) and will install them.
Good to know! It turns out all 5 BMW dealerships in Houston are authorized dealers. Woo hoo! Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #11
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good to know! It turns out all 5 BMW dealerships in Houston are authorized dealers. Woo hoo! Thank you.
Any time 😎

Enjoy that beautiful car! I sure love mine!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any time 😎

Enjoy that beautiful car! I sure love mine!!!!
Thanks again! Yours looks beautiful!
Appreciate 1
drjolokia134.00
      02-25-2019, 04:31 AM   #13
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
You will want to go to West Houston BMW in Katy. All the other dealers are inept when it comes to Dinan. Go in to the store and they will give you a 10% discount. At least they did for me.
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveindubai View Post
Quote:
You will want to go to West Houston BMW in Katy. All the other dealers are inept when it comes to Dinan. Go in to the store and they will give you a 10% discount. At least they did for me.
I saw that they are platinum dealer. Plus I purchased my car from momentum BMW both of which are owned by sonic automotive. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #15
stk24178
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC DG

I had a very interesting call with a "Dinan-certified" BMW dealer today. I inquired about the install of the V2 Elite tune on my M550. While he was diplomatic, he did suggest that I ask Dinan for more information on testing, failures, etc. He very clearly stated that his service department is currently doing nearly zero Dinan business at the current point in time vs. multiple installs per week a few months ago. In fact, he said has had to pursue numerous refunds for customers that have had multiple failures. It's not as though he was pushing me to another tune, he was simply and very nicely, say buyer beware.

If nothing it had me press the pause button to gather more data.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #16
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk24178 View Post
I had a very interesting call with a "Dinan-certified" BMW dealer today. I inquired about the install of the V2 Elite tune on my M550. While he was diplomatic, he did suggest that I ask Dinan for more information on testing, failures, etc. He very clearly stated that his service department is currently doing nearly zero Dinan business at the current point in time vs. multiple installs per week a few months ago. In fact, he said has had to pursue numerous refunds for customers that have had multiple failures. It's not as though he was pushing me to another tune, he was simply and very nicely, say buyer beware.

If nothing it had me press the pause button to gather more data.
This is exactly why I want to hold off until I stop seeing these posts on the forums. The stage one kit appeared to be very solid, but is no longer available or on their website. If I were to purchase one, it would be from a BMW dealership so they could install it. I don't want any issues with the factory warranty if it was purchased and installed from someone else. I'm pretty confident I don't have the minority opinion here.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

It's funny because when Rusnak BMW in Thousand Oaks California (Authorized dealer) called to inquire about the tune, the rep said that they were having bluetooth issues with the stage 1 that would throw out faults - as a result the dealer is now refusing to install the stage 1 as they don't want to "marry" the issue. So now i'm in the mercy of waiting for the elite v2 in california, but it seems the elite v2 is problematic.

SMH
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #18
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
It's funny because when Rusnak BMW in Thousand Oaks California (Authorized dealer) called to inquire about the tune, the rep said that they were having bluetooth issues with the stage 1 that would throw out faults - as a result the dealer is now refusing to install the stage 1 as they don't want to "marry" the issue. So now i'm in the mercy of waiting for the elite v2 in california, but it seems the elite v2 is problematic.

SMH
I'll probably regret saying this later, but my M550i has plenty of power as it is!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #19
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Quote:
I'll probably regret saying this later, but my M550i has plenty of power as it is!
honestly, i am leaning towards this as well. My idea of spirited driving is 10-50mph on open roads sprints and maybe 50-85mph runs in the freeway, and the car is plenty fast for that. Even with the Dinan warranty, just don't want to have worries anytime I have issues with the motor. Either way all a moot point now as v2 is not even for sale, but for now the power is definitely enough for me.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #20
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
Quote:
honestly, i am leaning towards this as well. My idea of spirited driving is 10-50mph on open roads sprints and maybe 50-85mph runs in the freeway, and the car is plenty fast for that. Even with the Dinan warranty, just don't want to have worries anytime I have issues with the motor. Either way all a moot point now as v2 is not even for sale, but for now the power is definitely enough for me.
Nailed it. Like 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds is not quick enough as it is! Unless you know a German high up the BMW food chain, the rev limiter will be the same!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #21
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Nailed it. Like 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds is not quick enough as it is! Unless you know a German high up the BMW food chain, the rev limiter will be the same!
Although the base car has plenty of power, the Dinan helps wring out the power left untapped by the cars conservative production tune. It is not about rev limiters or top speed, as the tuning adds most of it's effect at the usable low end. In fact, the original test units were 600 HP and retuned to place more at the lower band due to press feedback. Is the car a beast without it? Sure. But, the snarl and smooth delivery of the added torque that is enabled by the Dinan is addictive.

I have had zero issues with my unit and feel safe with my dealer who has a log history with Dinan.
      02-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #22
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Although the base car has plenty of power, the Dinan helps wring out the power left untapped by the cars conservative production tune. It is not about rev limiters or top speed, as the tuning adds most of it's effect at the usable low end. In fact, the original test units were 600 HP and retuned to place more at the lower band due to press feedback. Is the car a beast without it? Sure. But, the snarl and smooth delivery of the added torque that is enabled by the Dinan is addictive.

I have had zero issues with my unit and feel safe with my dealer who has a log history with Dinan.
It's just too bad they don't have the stage one's anymore. And the new ones seem to have a lot of problems. If I end up with one of these, it's going to be purchased and installed by a certified BMW dealership to avoid any future warranty issues.

Thank you for elaborating on the product and your experience with it.
Appreciate 0