BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Lane assist has started to behave erratically

11-10-2023, 12:38 AM   #45
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Agree

Hope it gets sorted as it is useful even in the pre LCI model
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 05:55 PM   #46
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i MHD+XHP Stg 2/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael911 View Post
SOLUTION from DE forum:
Reset EPS and DSC control unit
Disconnect battery for 10 minutes.

LKA works as new. For someone disconnecting battery is enough.
This miraculously worked for me!

I disconnected the battery last night for 20 minutes and reinstalled. Did 100 mile round trip today and the difference was night and day. The system held its lanes incredibly well and even stayed locked in on slight bends going 80mph. If the car didn't make you put your hands on the wheel I almost would have trusted it to drive itself for most of trip on the straighter stretches of highway.

Unbelievable how much better the system is after such a simple solution. I did a deep dive into that German forum and many users in Europe replaced their whole Kafas systems, windshields, and other various electronic units in the car with virtually no improvement whereas the battery disconnect seemed to be a better solution than replacing hardware since I believe this is a software issue.

I was unsure how I felt about the car given this feature but after trying it today, definitely made me fall in love with the car again, I frequently go on roadtrips so this will be a lifesaver for fatigue on those longer boring stretches of roads. Thanks so much for the odd but effective solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:50 AM   #47
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes lane assist is perfectly useable on the pre LCI as long as you cater for its inadequacies.
Those in my experience are often choosing the exit lane of a motorway when in lane 1 , a nudge on the steering back to lane 1 is all that’s required to get it back but once you know that, you can predict it and be ready for it in those circumstances

Bad road markings can throw it off

I used it at night on the motorway and found it to work under those circumstances aswell

So yes perfectly useable.

The LCI does improve matters.
Appreciate 0