BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Lane assist has started to behave erratically

11-26-2022, 01:31 PM   #23
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
It's a great feature but it isn't perfect. That doesn't sound unusual to me, but you can always just take it in and tell them you think it's not reacting correctly. If you like/trust your dealer then why not?
Took it in and everything's fine. I honestly think I don't fully understand the purpose. I treated it more like an autopilot than an "assist." As an assist I find it pretty useless. If have to keep my hands on the wheel I may as well just steer myself; which is what I did on our recent trip to Texas.
Appreciate 1
NGT25619.00
      11-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #24
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
It's a great feature but it isn't perfect. That doesn't sound unusual to me, but you can always just take it in and tell them you think it's not reacting correctly. If you like/trust your dealer then why not?
Took it in and everything's fine. I honestly think I don't fully understand the purpose. I treated it more like an autopilot than an "assist." As an assist I find it pretty useless. If have to keep my hands on the wheel I may as well just steer myself; which is what I did on our recent trip to Texas.
The ACC is a more useful "autopilot" feature. I like the lane keeping as an assist but the car won't let you treat it as autopilot. I like it but there are definitely varying opinions out there.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #25
NWMoss
Rep
Drives: E61 530d m-sport, F15 m-sport

I'm having the same issue, is there someone you would recommend in North America for coding? Or will Simon work with US Customers?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:15 PM   #26
BlueStreak2018
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i 2018

Garage List
2018 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Having the same problem!

Having the same issue as below with my 2018 530i, they have already replaced the Kafas cameras but it did not fix it, it is back in for further investigation, luckily I just eeked through with the Certified warranty !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I have a 2017 540 with lane assist. Been using it over the 5 years a lot despite it not being perfect so well used to its foibles.

However this system appears to have developed an issue
It seems to find the road markings more difficult to detect and when it does lock on , the steering is very erratic. To the point it actually feels quite dangerous to use.

No errors messages are displayed

I first thought perhaps there was some dirt covering the camera on the windscreen but confirmed it was all clean

(My assumption is that these are the sole sensors used by this system and not the radar detector under the front bumper use by the cruise control component)

This has occurred on the last few journeys so a restart of the car has not resolved this.

This sounds like a visit to the dealership and as it's out of warranty probably not a cheap fix but wondering if anyone has encountered this issue?
UPDATE, ISSUE RESOLVED
So the dealership had my car for 30 days and followed BMW engineering instructions step by step. First let me give you some details on the problem. The Lane Keeping Assist would not stay engaged, it recognize the lane and tried to stay in it by steering slightly left and right. How ever any time it tried to adjust by steering right it would over correct, then panic and lose lane detection.
Here is what the dealership did in order

1) Replaces Kaffa cameras behind the mirror
2) Replaced and calibrated all radar senors
3) Check the steering connections links for free movement
4) Replaced the steering column
5) Replace the SAS module

None of the above fixed it. Finally the next step which was replacing the BDC module (Body Domain Controller) did the trick.
I don't exactly know why since from what I have read it does not seem to have an obvious connection with LKA but there is some blurb about it facilitating communication between different systems so I wonder if that was it.

Despite how long it took I am happy with my dealership service and the service foreman who put a lot of time into this. They provided loaner cars for the duration and even though my warrantly ran out end of December and the fix took till end of Jan they did not charge me a penny.

Last edited by BlueStreak2018; 02-08-2023 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #27
LukeGTX
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E

I just ran across this thread and am experiencing the exact same issue in my 2018 530e. Our LKA worked great and we used it all the time up & down I-35, but shortly after hitting 60k miles it stopped working. It seems like it loses the lane markings and goes gray in places that it used to work fine, and when it is on it is extremely jerky and Ping Pongs back and forth across my lane. Did you ever solve the issue on yours?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 11:01 AM   #28
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
The ACC is a more useful "autopilot" feature. I like the lane keeping as an assist but the car won't let you treat it as autopilot. I like it but there are definitely varying opinions out there.
I watched a YT video of a new i7, the car was here in the US, stated to have had Level Two autonomy and the driver was completely hands free.

I know the G30 can be coded for this but it seems like the factory is starting to lean more towards an "auto-pilot" and not just LKA but actual hands free.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 11:53 AM   #29
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
I watched a YT video of a new i7, the car was here in the US, stated to have had Level Two autonomy and the driver was completely hands free.

I know the G30 can be coded for this but it seems like the factory is starting to lean more towards an "auto-pilot" and not just LKA but actual hands free.
I think the iX has this available as well. Out of Spec (youtube) did a review and showed it handling all driving in traffic below 45mph. Pretty slick.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 11:51 AM   #30
ViA
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G30, F34, E90

I have the same “error” after updating the software... there is already a known solution? because it is useless 🤦*♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 06:50 PM   #31
ashirmittal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E, BMW Z4

I am also facing the same issue on my 2018 530e. Mine started right off the service center after getting my tires replaced. I took back in after 2 months, about 5k miles later (long road trips). The forman drove the vehicle on interstate for a few miles and agreed there there is something off but he could not relate to the actual problem of car swaying in the lane.

He initialized the camera and software and asked me to wait for its recalibration for about 200 miles of driving. I did not see much difference immediately after leaving the dealership but I hope the recalibration thing is real and it fixes by itself. I'll give an update here in about 2-3 weeks after I have driven for 200 miles, however I am not very optimistic right now.

If it doesn't fix, I am planning to raise the concern again and ask for complete diagnostics of the issue since my car is still under warranty. I did not have a good experience with BMW Seattle in the past, I hope they do not disappoint now.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 07:55 AM   #32
sdnmedia22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
I have a 2017 540 with lane assist. Been using it over the 5 years a lot despite it not being perfect so well used to its foibles.

It seems to find the road markings more difficult to detect and when it does lock on , the steering is very erratic. To the point it actually feels quite dangerous to use.

I first thought perhaps there was some dirt covering the camera on the windscreen but confirmed it was all clean

(My assumption is that these are the sole sensors used by this system and not the radar detector under the front bumper use by the cruise control component)

This has occurred on the last few journeys so a restart of the car has not resolved this.

This sounds like a visit to the dealership and as it's out of warranty probably not a cheap fix but wondering if anyone has encountered this issue?
Did you end up getting this fixed? My lane assist never works, it doesn’t detect the motorway lines even if they’re clearly marked out. On very straight roads it does okay, but it’s seems very erratic compared to another car that I had with a similar feature. When there is a slight bend in the road the lane keep assist shuts off right away. Traffic jam assist doesn’t work either, BMW states that the car is meant to follow cars in front when it doesn’t detect any road markings when below 43mph but I’ve never experienced this. Even their technical document states that when the car is below 70mph and road markings are lots then the car will use another car in front and track it. Not sure if an istep update will resolve this, i haven’t had any permanent codes with the KAFAS either. My active cruise control works well and keeps its distance between cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 08:22 AM   #33
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

No I no longer have the car. The LCI one I now have does show improvements over pre LCI.
It’s more refined and smoother in general
Stays in the middle of the lane
Does not take the slip roads off the motorway
Does not prompt most of the time when stopping and starting in traffic using the traffic jam assist function

Shame in the U.K. we don’t get the assisted driving PLUS though presumably due to regulations
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 02:36 PM   #34
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:

any software updates recently? maybe they want us to switch to idrive 8 lol
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 04:04 AM   #35
AP
Major General
Rep

I no longer have the car
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:51 PM   #36
michael911
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d G31

SOLUTION from DE forum:
Reset EPS and DSC control unit
Disconnect battery for 10 minutes.

LKA works as new. For someone disconnecting battery is enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 11:18 PM   #37
AP
Major General
Rep

Nice one!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #38
sdnmedia22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael911 View Post
SOLUTION from DE forum:

How are these control units reset?
Appreciate 1
arkhi170.50
      09-16-2023, 01:46 PM   #39
sdnmedia22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael911 View Post
SOLUTION from DE forum:

Also would it just be the negative terminal that needs disconnecting? I am wondering if I can just do that and not reset the control units as I don’t know how to do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 05:19 PM   #40
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

I never use the lane assist. My car pinballs between the lines too severely, and it only lasts like 10 seconds, anyway. Not really worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 11:31 PM   #41
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i MHD+XHP Stg 2/3

I picked up a 2019 X3 M40i with Driving assistant plus and I'm experiencing the same issues here. Was really looking forward to trying the LKA however it's proven to be pretty unreliable over my 11 hour drive today. Even on long, straight stretches of highway with very clearly marked lanes the car will struggle to hold the lanes and randomly lose them altogether and take about 10-20 seconds to find them and turn green again. I'm convinced this is not normal and want to start troubleshooting steps to resolve this. Will most likely try to battery disconnect 10 times and then go to the dealer.

Even the slightest bends in the road cause the lanes to go grey and immediately require manual input. While I'm not expecting anything autonomous, babysitting this system has been more of a hassle than it's worth. Especially after watching this video, I feel like there is something wrong with my KAFAS or another system tied to lane keeping.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 12:48 AM   #42
AP
Major General
Rep

Sure try the battery disconnect but this doesn’t sound like the issue for this particular thread

Just sounds like the inadequate capabilities of the system although I agree it should be better

I’m assuming the system is the same as in the pre LCI 5 series and the same as the video you posted

It certainly has it limitation which I found to be not being able to read poor road markings, taking a turn off on a motorway sometimes instead of keeping on the motorway
Mine was also biased to driving on the right of the lane it seemed.

See what the dealer states, there may be a software update that can be applied but a 2019 model presumably is out of warranty so you’ll probably have to pay for that. The update could take up to a couple of hours to apply potentially depending upon what kit you have on the car

Is the traffic jam part of the system useable aswell as that was n my opinion the better half of the system
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 02:11 PM   #43
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWF31Diesel View Post
...While I'm not expecting anything autonomous, babysitting this system has been more of a hassle than it's worth.
It's more like the system babysits you, not you babysitting the system.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 11:26 PM   #44
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i MHD+XHP Stg 2/3

Quote:
Sure try the battery disconnect but this doesn’t sound like the issue for this particular thread

Just sounds like the inadequate capabilities of the system although I agree it should be better

I’m assuming the system is the same as in the pre LCI 5 series and the same as the video you posted

It certainly has it limitation which I found to be not being able to read poor road markings, taking a turn off on a motorway sometimes instead of keeping on the motorway
Mine was also biased to driving on the right of the lane it seemed.

See what the dealer states, there may be a software update that can be applied but a 2019 model presumably is out of warranty so you’ll probably have to pay for that. The update could take up to a couple of hours to apply potentially depending upon what kit you have on the car

Is the traffic jam part of the system useable aswell as that was n my opinion the better half of the system
I talked to another owner on a Facebook group that was experiencing similar issues but encountered more violent ping ponging in the lanes. He had his dealer update his idrive, recalibrate his lane assist and pretty much reset every system in the car and he said there was probably a 90% improvement in the LKA performance. Going to schedule an appointment with my dealer to see if they can repeat these steps as well. I'm not expecting autonomy by any means, but there's no reason it should struggle to hold the lanes on a completely straight stretch of highway with clearly marked lanes
Appreciate 0