BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions I am considering upgrading to G31 but I have some questions

10-30-2023, 10:52 AM   #1
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 MSport

I am considering upgrading to G31 but I have some questions

I currently have an E90 3.0L petrol but soon I will need some extra space as we have a second baby on the way and need more space and would go for the estate version. I am thinking to go with the 5 series, second hand, but since I've looked into the new BMW models things have changed. My questions are:

1. Is the facelift version worth it? I am not even so sure what new things is bringing (aside from the digital speedometer and a larger infotaiment screen). There are not many on the market currently so I am wondering if it is worth waiting a little more or pay the extra money for a facelift model.

2. What engine? I heard the 540i engine is amazing but I am wondering if it will be as unreliable as the 3.0L one in my E90. I see the most popular option is the plug in hybrid but I am afraid that second hand batteries won't go that long and I am afraid of having issues so probably better to stick with a regular petrol engine? Is the 520i powerful enough? Or shouldn't even consider it? I believe the 530 is the same 2.0L engine but has more (or bigger) turbos? Does that make it more unreliable?

3. It is not clear to me from the research I've done if this model comes with an Android auto or not. Apple car seems to be mentioned but not sure about the android. It would suck to pay 30k+ on a car that doesn't have it although I must say that the only new bmw I drove had a superb infotaiment system so probably not that big of an issue.

Any other aspects I should conside about this car model?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:58 AM   #2
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

The LCI is definitely worth it. For remote start by itself. Also OTA updates.
Buy a used 2021 G30 with the B58 I6 motor. Cant go wrong.
It's the same motor they have in the new Supra. And its very tuner friendly. Super strong, reliable engine.
      10-30-2023, 11:07 AM   #3
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
The LCI is definitely worth it. For remote start by itself. Also OTA updates.
Buy a used 2021 G30 with the B58 I6 motor. Cant go wrong.
It's the same motor they have in the new Supra. And its very tuner friendly. Super strong, reliable engine.
there are literally zero for sale currently. I am not that time pressed as I will probably need it in 8-12 months and some might come on the market by then. But in the UK currently there are very few petrol engines, most are plug in hybrids. If I cannot get my hands on a 540i are the 530i a viable alternative? Or even the 520i?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:27 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes would second the LCI over the pre LCI , depends what your budget is

If you want one with the driver assistance ie active cruise control and lane assistant (which will also give you traffic jam assist at ~40mph and belo) the I would suggest the LCI as there are noticeable improvements over the pre LCI

The pre LCI is ok but it does have its limitations and is not perfect but useful if used with those limits

You may struggle to find a car with this they seem to not be that common .

Idrive 7 is a nice interface , arguably nicer to look and although a bit different in its concept over idrive 6 . I still rate idrive 6 functionality wise as very good

Looks wise both look good but that’s obviously a subjective thing

The 540 is a great car and the sweet spot in terms of performance and economy
It’s a very refined engine and very quiet
It’s very reliable
Depending upon how you drive it you may not find it that much more thirstier than a 2 litre.
I really don’t think you’ll find any negative comments about the b58 engine it has turned out to be one of BMWs best .
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 04:07 PM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
I’ve had my G31 for a little over 14 months now & it’s done 53,000 miles, other than a pan roof reset & a new battery for the telematics it’s been very reliable & that’s with it running a tune.
Currently there are 23 G31 540i’s on AT, these two lci’s are particularly nice

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...Me88dd&fromsra

E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 1
Spyder364.50
      10-31-2023, 04:22 PM   #6
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
I’ve had my G31 for a little over 14 months now & it’s done 53,000 miles, other than a pan roof reset & a new battery for the telematics it’s been very reliable & that’s with it running a tune.
Currently there are 23 G31 540i’s on AT, these two lci’s are particularly nice

Thanks! Should have mentioned that I am looking to buy second hand due to budget. I would like to spend around 30-35k max. That doesn't get me an LCI G31. Plus it would have to be around London so I could easily test drive it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 06:42 PM   #7
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin1987 View Post
I currently have an E90 3.0L petrol but soon I will need some extra space as we have a second baby on the way and need more space and would go for the estate version. I am thinking to go with the 5 series, second hand, but since I've looked into the new BMW models things have changed. My questions are:

1. Is the facelift version worth it? I am not even so sure what new things is bringing (aside from the digital speedometer and a larger infotaiment screen). There are not many on the market currently so I am wondering if it is worth waiting a little more or pay the extra money for a facelift model.

2. What engine? I heard the 540i engine is amazing but I am wondering if it will be as unreliable as the 3.0L one in my E90. I see the most popular option is the plug in hybrid but I am afraid that second hand batteries won't go that long and I am afraid of having issues so probably better to stick with a regular petrol engine? Is the 520i powerful enough? Or shouldn't even consider it? I believe the 530 is the same 2.0L engine but has more (or bigger) turbos? Does that make it more unreliable?

3. It is not clear to me from the research I've done if this model comes with an Android auto or not. Apple car seems to be mentioned but not sure about the android. It would suck to pay 30k+ on a car that doesn't have it although I must say that the only new bmw I drove had a superb infotaiment system so probably not that big of an issue.

Any other aspects I should conside about this car model?

Many thanks!
I bought a year ago, and went with the pre-LCI. The LCI looks very much like a Skoda, which I just can't unsee.

Also, the changes in the LCI are rather minimal. Sometimes I like the taillights better, but sometimes not.

I would definitely recommend the 540i Touring if you want a car that is both sporty and luxurious. The 530 is too weak in terms of powertrain, and the 550 too nose-heavy to truly enjoy on a backroad.

With the B58 you will get arguably the best inline 6er in the company's history (outside of some of the M engines), and that is an argument in and of itself. And it pairs so well with the ZF 8 speed.

Appreciate 0