BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Global Sales Continue to Grow

05-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #23
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
If you remove the non-luxury from both companies numbers (ie BMW's Mini and MB's Smart) the numbers are even more telling.

Mercedes April -164,063
BMW - 150,542.

Year to date, Mercedes lead is just over 18,000 units. It's gonna be hard for BMW to retain the sales crown this year, both globally and in the US
Yeah. With a combination of an aging 3er and highly successful relaunch of the W205 C-Class, BMW just got caught in a bad situation. When the W205 got released in the second half of 2014, I thought Mercedes was a going to take the sales crown last year with a full year of sales so it was only a matter of time before sales of the C-Class were going to put Mercedes in the lead. Even with the G30 5er expected to go on sale late this year in some regions, it's not going to do much to lessen the gap.
It's all about product life cycle. MB has released a ton of new models recently, good for them! People like to flock to the all new models for good reason. Just wait until the new 3 and 5, and the 1er to compete with the A3 and CLA.

From a business standpoint, the fact that numbers are still growing YoY I'm most months is pretty amazing considering the slight economic lull the US is in as well as being middle/end of life cycle with key models
New 7 series sales is very poor compared S-class although it's 2 yrs newer.

The new 7 series is supposed to give G platform preview of what will come.

Unless BMW fix it quick, it's going to be hell for the rest of the new generation (3,4,5,X).
I am surprised by the poor sales of the 7 series so far. I have not seen one on the road yet while living in an area where BMW is highly popular. Personally I am quite impressed by the interior and the cool technology offered. Maybe it's due of the lack of marketing here in the US? Or maybe buyers who shop for top end luxury cars these days prefer Mercedes more? These are my guesses, so no need to flame me for suggesting buyers like MB better. :P

I also have not seen any new X1 on the road yet besides mine... Strange given that it's selling pretty well.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 03:27 AM   #24
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
If you remove the non-luxury from both companies numbers (ie BMW's Mini and MB's Smart) the numbers are even more telling.

Mercedes April -164,063
BMW - 150,542.

Year to date, Mercedes lead is just over 18,000 units. It's gonna be hard for BMW to retain the sales crown this year, both globally and in the US
Yeah. With a combination of an aging 3er and highly successful relaunch of the W205 C-Class, BMW just got caught in a bad situation. When the W205 got released in the second half of 2014, I thought Mercedes was a going to take the sales crown last year with a full year of sales so it was only a matter of time before sales of the C-Class were going to put Mercedes in the lead. Even with the G30 5er expected to go on sale late this year in some regions, it's not going to do much to lessen the gap.
It's all about product life cycle. MB has released a ton of new models recently, good for them! People like to flock to the all new models for good reason. Just wait until the new 3 and 5, and the 1er to compete with the A3 and CLA.

From a business standpoint, the fact that numbers are still growing YoY I'm most months is pretty amazing considering the slight economic lull the US is in as well as being middle/end of life cycle with key models
New 7 series sales is very poor compared S-class although it's 2 yrs newer.

The new 7 series is supposed to give G platform preview of what will come.

Unless BMW fix it quick, it's going to be hell for the rest of the new generation (3,4,5,X).
Best car as of late is the 2er cpe/vrt.

BMW needs to improve all the way up->

Better 3er, better 5er/6er, & much better 7er.

And BMWi needs to dominate before it's to late.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 06:53 AM   #25
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

So SUV's and hybrids are what the consumers want these days. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW i soon becomes dominated by crossovers. To improve numbers in the US they may be wise to make an x7 seeing as the x6 and x5 are crazy popular. Perhaps the BMW equivalent of a Rang Rover sport. I generally dislike SUVs and corssovers, I really prefer a hatchback or wagon IMHO. I dont get why people dont like wagon here in the US. I bet if they were known as "estate" cars like they are in europe, they would be easier to market. Wagon seems to have a negative connotation to it.
Anywho, I may want to contribute to these statistics soon. The f31 looks stunning.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #26
TopQuark
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjjj View Post
I am surprised by the poor sales of the 7 series so far. I have not seen one on the road yet while living in an area where BMW is highly popular. Personally I am quite impressed by the interior and the cool technology offered. Maybe it's due of the lack of marketing here in the US? Or maybe buyers who shop for top end luxury cars these days prefer Mercedes more? These are my guesses, so no need to flame me for suggesting buyers like MB better. :P
It's the prestige of owning an S-Class MB. It's been around longer. It's the preferred ride of top dignitaries. It rides soft preferred by passengers with a driver. It's really only the momentum and brand name that's MB sales are coming from in this class. Most reviews I see prefer the 7.
Appreciate 0