BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Ultimate Euro Road Trip

05-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Ultimate Euro Road Trip

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Disclaimer: I apologize in advance for this super long post but I felt every detail needed to be included to conclude the story.

Before purchasing my F80, I had planned on doing a European delivery for quit some time but due to my impatience, I bought the launch car at my local dealer as an impulse buy. Being that I will be keeping my F80 for a few years, all of the wonderful Euro delivery posts on here had me yearning for the chance to plan a road trip through southern Germany. I decided that I would plan a road trip after finishing up work in Germany and visit the plants, museums, and headquarters of BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes-Benz. My significant other always dreamed of going to Salzburg and I also wanted to include Switzerland so we decided to fly into Munich and make our way through Salzburg, the Swiss Alps, Zürich, up through Stuttgart, and back to Munich. This is a reasonable route for anyone who wants to pick and drop off his or her car from the Welt in Munich.

Unfortunately, I didn't pick up a shiny new F80 from the Welt so instead we rented a Merc GLC220 cdi from Sixt. At first, I was a little hesitant about driving a SUV on somewhat tiny European streets but it turned out to be a great companion and relatively fuel-efficient.

The first few days we were in Munich without a car being that Munich has a great S-Bahn system that is very easy to navigate and will get you all over. We did the traditional tourist traps including Marienplatz, Hofbräuhaus, Augustiner Kelly Biergarten, and consumed a lot of beer. The most interesting part about this trip is that when we arrived, it was not only Labor Day but also Father's Day. Most of the shops were closed and every single Bavarian was dressed in full Lederhosen and day drinking to the fullest. It somewhat fed into the stereotypical German idea of beer drinking lederhosen-wearing Germans but in actuality that is a Bavarian only thing.

New City Hall

Old City Hall

Random E46 coupe with a little Bavarian/Southern Pride

The flip side to this holiday was that the BMW Munich plant was closed so I unfortunately was not able to get a plant tour as intended. We did enjoy some time at the Welt and took in everything that is BMW.

The excitement of it all

The Welt itself is an amazing marketing move on BMW's part allowing consumers to really experience the brand in its entirety. The Welt was packed with tourists from all over the world and the entire line-up of BMW, Rolls-Royce, and Mini are displayed.

In the M section, I was able to see the M2 for the first time in person and I must say that it looked amazing in Long Beach blue. It's so much more aggressive in body stance than the M235i but seems to be quit a bit smaller than the M4. Nonetheless, I'm sure all you M2 owners will be extremely happy as it’s no doubt a good looking car.

Side note, there are tons of M4s in Germany and Switzerland. I only saw one M3 in Switzerland, one M5 in Munich, a few X6 Ms, and one or two M6 convertibles.

After walking through the Welt, we toured the BMW museum. What's special about the museum right now is that there is a special exhibition in the dome of the museum that highlights all 100 years of BMW and extensively covers its aircraft past. The BMW museum does a great job of highlighting key points throughout its history and the special 100 anniversary exhibit covers every aspect of the company including its financial issues, it's dedication to employees, and how dedicated BMW is to training and employing newly arrived refugees in Germany. My particular favorite was the M section with a beautifully preserved E30 M3 Sport Evo and E46 CSL M3.

Original pillars of the Rapp Motor Werke

BMW's explanation for forced labor during WWII

Random things BMW made to survive after the war

Evolution of technology used in BMW's offices.

BMW's research on plants in the workspace

Evolution of the kidney grill

Early aircraft engine

The next day we picked up the rental car from Sixt in Munich's Central Station and hit the road to Austria. I'm truly in love with driving in Germany. It's so orderly and organized with roads so smooth they're like glass. As a reminder, there are speed limits in all metro areas and wherever there's construction. Construction is constantly going on to keep their roads in top shape. When there's a speed limit, some Germans do speed as they know where the speed cameras are but never more than 10-15 km/h. Once the speed limit restrictions end, people start to fly. I would average 190 km/h or about 118 mph and others in 5er wagons and big body Mercs would fly right pass me.

As well, gas stations are clearly marked and are always right off the Autobahn unlike in the US where sometimes you have to drive a bit away from the exit to get gas. Most stations charge 0.70€ to use the toilets and you always pump first and pay inside afterwards. It would be good to brush up on German numbers to tell the attendant which pump you're paying for.

The drive to Austria is beautiful with scenic Alpine villages and snow capped mountains. Salzburg itself is deeply dedicated to tourism and it is well preserved and extremely clean. The Altstadt felt a little "too" clean and almost Disney like in its execution. There were reenactments going on all over and a live Austrian band was playing classic Mozart pieces in front of a beer garden. Mozart is very well represented throughout the city and the Sound of Music has definitely left its mark for American tourists.

Our rental car from Sixt

We spent a short time in Salzburg and headed over to Switzerland. Instead of driving completely through speed-limited Austria, we decided to drive back through Germany to take advantage of some of the no speed limit zones. Switzerland is probably one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been to with postcard like scenery and picturesque villages.

Zürich itself is very beautiful and very wealthy. Tons of Porsches, Ferraris, AMGs, Lambos driving around but on the flip side it can get pricey for food and drinks. I loved how various neighborhoods offered various things with its Alstadt being very wealthy and conservative while places like West Zürich offered a "hipster" alternative with amazing architecture and really cool use of former industrial spaces. I also learned on this trip that cheese fondue is a Swiss dish and Zurich offered plenty of options to try. I really enjoyed Zürich for its beautiful architecture, scenery, and high quality of life. The Swiss really have it good.

One of many 458 Italias around (I still think Beverly Hills has maybe more)

After two days in Zürich, we head back to Germany to Stuttgart. Most of the roads after crossing the border were speed limitless so the trip took no time at all. Once we got to Stuttgart we headed straight to Zuffenhausen to Porsche to take the factory tour and tour the museum.

The first thought that comes to mind is how small the factory is compared to BMW and Merc and how much less flashy the whole presentation is overall. It's sort "technical" and straight to point.

We first started off in the parts picking area and engine plant. There are two lines, one for boxer engines and one for V engines. The whole processed is streamlined with workers getting a 5 min break every hour and a 35 min lunch break. I also confirmed that the new turbo flat six engines do not use the same turbo chargers as the 911 turbo, lacking the variable vain technology.

The second part of the tour included a tour of the workshop. On the very top floor is where they used to assemble the 918 Spyder but our guide was not "allowed" to discuss what the space will be used for now. The second to top level included areas where the dashboards were assembled and we were able to see the workers cut, sew, and apply the leather by hand. All of Porsche's hides come from Austria and only one hide is used per car with 57% of the hide being resold to the fashion industry.

The next level down is where the bodies come in from across the street through a suspended bridge. There were TONS of GT3 RS' and the run of the mill Carreras with a few Boxsters here and there. All are made on the same line and the Cayman will be joining sometime during the second half of the year. The workshop is surprisingly small and was totally different from what I expected. It felt almost like a bespoke workshop, which gave it a special quality. In total the line covers two floors and there are elevators that lift and bring the cars from floor to floor. We weren't allowed to see the marriage section since there was a new unseen model being built as well as the body shop.

The museum is a lot smaller than BMW's with a full display covering Porsche's history from the creation of the Beetle to the current line-up. Overall, I fell even more in love with Porsche and I am looking forward to purchasing a 911 in the near future. You definitely got a sense that the workers take pride in working for the company.

Porsche's first foray into electric vehicles

Ferry Porsche's VW prototype for the Third Reich

The very first 356..chassis number one (Built in Gmund, Austria)

Turbo family

Current full line-up in my favorite standard Porsche color...Carmine Red

By this point, we were tired and didn't really explore Stuttgart until that night. Mercedes and somewhat Porsche rules this town with streets, stadiums, and arenas bearing their names throughout the city. So many buildings around town had a revolving three-pointed star letting you know Daimler's presence. Stuttgart isn't as charming as the other cities we visited lacking a lot of the pre war architecture but we did meet some cool people along the way.

The next day we visited the Mercedes museum outside of Daimler's headquarters and engine plant in Stuttgart. Overall, Mercedes did an amazing job with its museum with its beautiful architecture and displays that tied then current events with what was happening at Mercedes throughout its history. You start from the top and work your way down with the top starting with the late 1800s.

It all started with a horse...

The grandfather clock engine...1885

World's first automobile

These were all powered by the grandfather clock engine

World's first pick up truck

Daimler aircraft engine from WWI

Princess Diana's SL and the Popemobile

Various cars used in movies

The famous Pullman

Afterwards, we drove out to Sindelfingen to tour Mercedes' largest plant in the world. It currently makes the S Class (sedan, coupes, and convertibles), E Class (sedan and wagon), CLS Class (coupe and shooting brake), and AMG GT. The plant is HUGE. It makes Porsche look like a mom and pop shop with so much going on its overwhelming. The tour started with a video in the welcome center and a tour bus that takes you to the first stop. We first toured the building where the S Class bodies are made. The sedans (both LWB and SWB) are made on one floor and the coupes and convertibles are made on another. The whole process is completely automated with robots churning out whole bodies like clockwork.

We then were taken to another building where the final assembly takes place for the E Class, CLS, and CLS shooting brake. It was mind blowing compared to Porsche on how much more mass-produced Merc is. Of course we've always known that but it is shown in a different light in the plants. Each person’s task happens so quickly I couldn't keep up with what just happened. There were tons of US bound E Classes being built that day, most likely launch cars with a few CLS coupes and a sprinkle of shooting brakes here and there. The whole process seemed less "bespoke" than Porsche and vast majority of the cars were all black, silver, and white. 57% of all Mercedes vehicles are black.

This is where Merc does its Euro delivery pick ups.

Grabbed some shots of the new C205 C63 Coupe

Last edited by r3dbimmer89; 05-16-2016 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 14
      05-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Too bad you didn't get to do an ED. Truly an amazing experience. Maybe next time.

At least you got to see Welt and drive in those beautiful countries. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Brilliant! Less than a year after ED we were back in Europe for a two-week road trip. Can't beat the experience!!!
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

This is real cool - forget the ED!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looks like you had an awesome time.

Btw... the 0.70€ to use the toilets, you can turn in the coupon at the shop/store and get your money back IF you make a purchase. You can even collect a bunch of these "coupons/receipts" and turn them all in at any SANI run autobahn rest-stop in Germany.

PS: You didn't go to MotorWorld across the street from the MB factory in Sindelfingen. ?
Appreciate 3
      05-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Nice photos, enjoyed both the BMW and Mercedes. Some nice looking Mercs there. The 300 sl gull wing is without doubt one of my top 5 ever.... Saw a striped out one in Caterham Mercedes dealership years ago. The 3.0 cs is beautiful too.
      05-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Nice post. A wonderful trip and very well photographed.
Please tell me the confederate flag on a three series roof was Photoshopped. I know it was Southern Germany, but geez!! :
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono2112 View Post
Please tell me the confederate flag on a three series roof was Photoshopped. I know it was Southern Germany, but geez!! :
And the license plate, of course, ends in "666".
WTF.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

r3dbimmer89 your a good writer.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Wow, trip looked amazing. Thank you for putting all this together! Definitely plan on doing a route similar to yours within the next year

Previous:
2018 Mini Cooper S (F56) (grey/black)6MT
2015 NC Miata club PRHT 6MT
2007 911 Carrera 2 (black/tan) 6MT
2017 Grand Sport (blue/white/red) 7MT
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
2011 C63 AMG (black/black) 7A
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #11
Jetsurly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive Sport Line

Thanks for posting this! I am headed over to Munich and Stuttgart to do this exact same thing next week! Your post has me even more excited now!!!
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #12
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had an amazing trip. Out of Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes, did you have a favorite tour out of the 3 of them?
      05-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #13
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
And the license plate, of course, ends in "666".
WTF.
Terrifying.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #14
majaste
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

Awesome

I lived in Germany for two years back in the early 90s and saw the factories as they were then. I need to make a return trip, looks like a lot has changed! Great job on capturing the essence of your trip. Brings back good memories...
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #15
itzryyster
United_States
Rep
Drives: i4/LCI G30/Tacoma

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [7.00]
2021 BMW 530e  [0.00]
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
Awesome post. Thanks for sharing!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #16
CloudyLP640
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS

Amazing !!! Wow.

Could you elaborate on the budget required to make such a trip ? PM if needed.

Thanks ??
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #17
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Diggin' it!
      05-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #19
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Looks like you had an awesome time.

Btw... the 0.70€ to use the toilets, you can turn in the coupon at the shop/store and get your money back IF you make a purchase. You can even collect a bunch of these "coupons/receipts" and turn them all in at any SANI run autobahn rest-stop in Germany.

PS: You didn't go to MotorWorld across the street from the MB factory in Sindelfingen. ?
I totally figured something like that was mentioned on the ticket...my lack of German skills couldn't quit confirm that...I totally forgot about Motorworld until I was already back in Munich on my way to airport. Next time I will check it out for sure!

Quote:
Haha it caught me off guard at first but most likely the owner grew up watching Duke's of Hazard....maybe.... lol....it's also ironic because Germans call Bavarians the Texans of Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had an amazing trip. Out of Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes, did you have a favorite tour out of the 3 of them?
Since I didn't tour the Munich plant I can't quit say for sure but I think Merc had a really well done museum and plant tour. It was very organized and almost theme park like in its execution. Porsche was straight to the point without all the frills and I would say the Welt/BMW museum does a good. I came back with a newly found respect for Merc and my love affair with Porsche has become more intense.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
I totally figured something like that was mentioned on the ticket...my lack of German skills couldn't quit confirm that...I totally forgot about Motorworld until I was already back in Munich on my way to airport. Next time I will check it out for sure!
Thats ok. They are building a MotorWorld in Munich right now. Perhaps it will be open in time for your next ED.

Dack
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #21
m5sdse63
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC CP

Awesome trip!

Love the pictures. Brings good memories from 2 months ago.

2014 M6
2015 i3
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 01:42 AM   #22
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Awesome pictures and thanks for sharing. Please post more shots of Switzerland/Zurich!
Appreciate 0