BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Video from the German online mag, Autobild.de

02-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Video from the German online mag, Autobild.de

http://www.autobild.de/videos/video-...7-8524761.html

Apologies if this has been posted before, the video dates from Jan 15th.

Looks like a truly class act to me, although I don't like the rear exhaust tips - far too much like a Merc. The interior however hits Mercedes where it hurts, and it will no doubt drive infinitely better than the new E class across the entire engine range if BMW has stuck to what it's best at

Last edited by TodmordenLad; 02-03-2016 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Drive infinitely better? Hmm, I think not. I had an F10 and hated the ride. Very floaty, and this was with the DHP which included active shocks and ARS. The 3er has been panned for becoming too soft. And yesterday I drove a stock suspension G11 740i and it was VERY soft.

As for interior...have you seen the new E Class interior? It's stunning. The interior in the video is straight out of the Sebiner. And it's nice, don't get me wrong, but I am not sold on all the chrome.

Much as it highly pains me to say it...BMW's going to have to really step up to best the E Class.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Drive infinitely better? Hmm, I think not. I had an F10 and hated the ride. Very floaty, and this was with the DHP which included active shocks and ARS. The 3er has been panned for becoming too soft. And yesterday I drove a stock suspension G11 740i and it was VERY soft.

As for interior...have you seen the new E Class interior? It's stunning. The interior in the video is straight out of the Sebiner. And it's nice, don't get me wrong, but I am not sold on all the chrome.

Much as it highly pains me to say it...BMW's going to have to really step up to best the E Class.
I agree that the new Merc E will be a challenge for the next 5 series, and that the handling of the current 5 series is poor - I had 2 F11's and the handling wasn't nearly as good as the E61 I had.

I've never been swayed by an E-Class personally, never admired the exterior sufficiently to even bother with a test drive. One of my neighbours has a E250, which replaced his BMW E60 530D. He likes the seats in his new car, and thats all! God knows why he bought it. Something to do with his back, I believe. The front of the car in particular is a dog's dinner from every angle.

I have the seen the video of the new E-class interior and it will certainly win some friends. It's too fussy for my taste. I like BMW's 'less is more' approach.
Image below of the new 5 series interior may well be a rendering, not sure...

02-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I agree that the new Merc E will be a challenge for the next 5 series, and that the handling of the current 5 series is poor - I had 2 F11's and the handling wasn't nearly as good as the E61 I had.

I've never been swayed by an E-Class personally, never admired the exterior sufficiently to even bother with a test drive. One of my neighbours has a E250, which replaced his BMW E60 530D. He likes the seats in his new car, and thats all! God knows why he bought it. Something to do with his back, I believe. The front of the car in particular is a dog's dinner from every angle.

I have the seen the video of the new E-class interior and it will certainly win some friends. It's too fussy for my taste. I like BMW's 'less is more' approach.
Image below of the new 5 series interior may well be a rendering, not sure...

That's the X5. Expect the new 5 to look almost exactly like the 7, based on the spy shots.

Yeah, it is fussier. So I can understand if you want something more restrained. But the chrome buttons in the 7, which appear to carry over to the 5, are definitely fussy. I also agree the current E, inside and out, is garbage.
Appreciate 0