BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e- bmw connected app is a pos junk.

01-04-2020, 02:12 AM   #23
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Whether your vehicle is capable of receiving and installing software upgrades via Remote Software Upgrade depends on the hardware built into the vehicle. You can find out whether your vehicle is capable of Remote Software Upgrade by checking the following menu in iDrive.
They have just changed it so if you now follow the link in Services and at the bottom (in the U.K.) Learn More and below that is RSU. If you follow that and go to Technical Requirements then you get to a new page which confirms that the current G30, M5, X3, X5 & 6 GT are not equipped for it. This as per the BMW paper I was shown 2 months ago but it took until now for BMW to admit to it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:13 AM   #24
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Typo - should have said X4 is unavailable not X5
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #25
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
They have just changed it so if you now follow the link in Services and at the bottom (in the U.K.) Learn More and below that is RSU. If you follow that and go to Technical Requirements then you get to a new page which confirms that the current G30, M5, X3, X5 & 6 GT are not equipped for it. This as per the BMW paper I was shown 2 months ago but it took until now for BMW to admit to it.
And just to frustrate people they say "not presently capable" and not "not capable" leaving people with the idea that these vehicles may receive this functionality in the future...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 04:22 AM   #26
HKPhooey
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 M440i Grand Coupe

Update from my previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8CDT View Post
Collected my 530d end of November and iOS app failed to update location, fuel, mileage and none of the remote services would work. Back to the dealership and they fixed a number of errors, it then worked for a couple of days then stopped.

Have removed\added car and added/deleted app a number if times, but no stability in the information on the app. Seems as though the car is not communicating to the BMW servers and it's not location coverage as the other BMW works fine on the app at all times, and we've been to various places with very strong coverage.

Now with the BMW Connected team to investigate, but the fact they asked me to tell them the current software version but navigating to the Remote Update menu which despite the car having IDrive 7 and the new live cockpit, is not active in the car .... hopefully they will have an answer as I really like the app and had no issues with previous cars, and as I say the other car works fine, so that's why I think it's a problem in the car only communicating occasionally to the BMW servers.

Other than this really enjoying the drive .... 😊
BMW Connected teams have now come back to me .... thought I'd share in case it helps others

"After further investigation I can confirm on my system the software version in your vehicle is 07/2019. All vehicles with this level of software will be experiencing similar problems to yourself. The issue is identical to the issue you first experienced and had patched at the BMW Centre. Essentially this is a fault that we have realised with the ATM2 telecommunication unit in vehicles produced before November 2019. The fault is mainly affecting the ability to perform Remote Services and the ability to have a good connection between the Vehicle, Connected App and our Connected Servers for the app to update.

All affected vehicles would be required to patch the fault through a new software update. You'll need to book this with your local BMW Centre, who'll need to perform the reprogramming of the software through the update known as the "November Update" to finally alleviate the issues you're experiencing and resetting the fault."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #27
HKPhooey
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Collected my 530d end of November and iOS app failed to update location, fuel, mileage and none of the remote services would work. Back to the dealership and they fixed a number of errors, it then worked for a couple of days then stopped.

Have removed\added car and added/deleted app a number if times, but no stability in the information on the app. Seems as though the car is not communicating to the BMW servers and it's not location coverage as the other BMW works fine on the app at all times, and we've been to various places with very strong coverage.

Now with the BMW Connected team to investigate, but the fact they asked me to tell them the current software version but navigating to the Remote Update menu which despite the car having IDrive 7 and the new live cockpit, is not active in the car .... hopefully they will have an answer as I really like the app and had no issues with previous cars, and as I say the other car works fine, so that's why I think it's a problem in the car only communicating occasionally to the BMW servers.

Other than this really enjoying the drive .... 😊
BMW Connected teams have now come back to me .... thought I'd share in case it helps others

"After further investigation I can confirm on my system the software version in your vehicle is 07/2019. All vehicles with this level of software will be experiencing similar problems to yourself. The issue is identical to the issue you first experienced and had patched at the BMW Centre. Essentially this is a fault that we have realised with the ATM2 telecommunication unit in vehicles produced before November 2019. The fault is mainly affecting the ability to perform Remote Services and the ability to have a good connection between the Vehicle, Connected App and our Connected Servers for the app to update.

All affected vehicles would be required to patch the fault through a new software update. You'll need to book this with your local BMW Centre, who'll need to perform the reprogramming of the software through the update known as the "November Update" to finally alleviate the issues you're experiencing and resetting the fault."
Further update which I hope helps .....

"Looking into this for you I can confirm that to enable the Remote Software Upgrade for the vehicle, you'll need to perform this November Software Update. Currently your Software version is 19-07-525 and will need to be upgraded to 19-11-530.

The BMW Centre should be able to perform this update, this will alleviate the problems you are experiencing and enable the RSU for future use."

Car has been into dealership today for the stated software update, and fingers crossed so far all looks good with the app updating regularly (I could see changes while it was at the dealership) and then since it has update locking, mileage, fuel and allowed remote open and close.

The only negative is the email from BMW suggested this would implement the missing RSU but it doesn't seem to be the case and I wasn't expecting it as I know it's not a feature of the G30 running ID7.

...... anyway hopes this helps others who had the same issue, and I'll update if it doesn't resolve the problem 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:23 AM   #28
P-OA
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2020

Quote:

"Looking into this for you I can confirm that to enable the Remote Software Upgrade for the vehicle, you'll need to perform this November Software Update. Currently your Software version is 19-07-525 and will need to be upgraded to 19-11-530.

The BMW Centre should be able to perform this update, this will alleviate the problems you are experiencing and enable the RSU for future use."

Car has been into dealership today for the stated software update, and fingers crossed so far all looks good with the app updating regularly (I could see changes while it was at the dealership) and then since it has update locking, mileage, fuel and allowed remote open and close.

The only negative is the email from BMW suggested this would implement the missing RSU but it doesn't seem to be the case and I wasn't expecting it as I know it's not a feature of the G30 running ID7.

...... anyway hopes this helps others who had the same issue, and I'll update if it doesn't resolve the problem 👍
Really happy to read about someone that have exactly the same problem as me. Did it fix your problem?
Picked up my brand new BMW 530e last year in november (manufactured in september) and then the problem that you described started. The connected drive didn't work and the every time I started the car it showed service over due (brakefluid was to be changed 12/2001 or approx 8 years before the car was produced). The car went back to the BMW dealer 18:th of december that corrected the problems until 12:th of februari this year (so it worked for almost two months).

The help desc for BMW in UK seems better then the one here in Sweden. The only reply you get here is:
1. Did you try to press the volume button for 30 seconds to restart the IDrive system?
2. Have you updated the apps in the car/phone.
3. Take the car in for service at the dealer ship.

Note!
I don't recommend to press the volume button to restart the IDrive if everything is working as it "should", I did it since the efficiency (fuel saved etc for the last journeys) still won't work and the BMW customer support asked me to test it, after that nothing works!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:21 AM   #29
HKPhooey
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-OA View Post
Quote:

Really happy to read about someone that have exactly the same problem as me. Did it fix your problem?
Picked up my brand new BMW 530e last year in november (manufactured in september) and then the problem that you described started. The connected drive didn't work and the every time I started the car it showed service over due (brakefluid was to be changed 12/2001 or approx 8 years before the car was produced). The car went back to the BMW dealer 18:th of december that corrected the problems until 12:th of februari this year (so it worked for almost two months).

The help desc for BMW in UK seems better then the one here in Sweden. The only reply you get here is:
1. Did you try to press the volume button for 30 seconds to restart the IDrive system?
2. Have you updated the apps in the car/phone.
3. Take the car in for service at the dealer ship.

Note!
I don't recommend to press the volume button to restart the IDrive if everything is working as it "should", I did it since the efficiency (fuel saved etc for the last journeys) still won't work and the BMW customer support asked me to test it, after that nothing works!
Just to confirm since the software update which I quoted the connected drive app has worked pretty much all the time. There has been the occasional drop out, but I'd put that down to the servers at BMW. Location updates work fine, remote services are all functioning and able to send locations to car which are then picked up by the navigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #30
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Wouldn't be great if a company could combine the ability to make cars like BMW and to do software like Tesla? Frankly, I think Tesla is going to get there before the Germans. Apparently, the Chinese have made a lot of improvements to manufacturing the Model 3 and this is flowing thru to the Model Y. Those in the know say they would MUCH rather have a Chinese Model 3 than a US one.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #31
AndreasG
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530e

The app should work good.
If it does not for you, do as with everything else - contact BMW and tell them your problem.

I had my car in for software update because of app trouble.
Worked alot better after but still need some tuning.

Im in the process of talking to BMW about it now.

And one important note.

The local dealer cannot access, view or find problems that are causes by communication, server side problems, global problems or app problems.
The local dealer can only check for error codes saved in the physical car modules.

You should contact BMW directly, in my case I had to talk to BMW Norway and they started a technical case and it was sent to BMW Germany and they found alot of trouble and decided the car needed new software, they will then give that info to local dealer that upgrades software or changes parts.
Appreciate 0