BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530xi Rhodonite Silver

02-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

530xi Rhodonite Silver

Hello - getting ready to place an order for a 2020 530xi to replace my 2017 530xi. My current car is Bluestone Metallic and I have really enjoyed the color and the car.

I thought about ordering Rhodonite Silver this time and looked at all the pictures I could find. I though it was a classic silver when looking at the paint sample at the dealership, but the pictures make it look more of a Cashmere Brown Silver. Can anyone comment who has that color or has seen it, what it really looks like?

My other color choice would be White or do Bluestone again.

Options will be:

Executive Package
M-Sport
Front and Back Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Harmon Kardon
Parking Assistance Package
Multi-Contour Seats (although contemplating Luxury Seating package)

I had the new X5 for a loaner today, while our X5 was being serviced. It had the Driver Assistance Plus package on it and thought that worked really well. I think it is more up to date that the 5 Series package though and I really never use cruise control.

Also - thought about doing the 530e, but I drive mostly highway miles, so probably not a good choice for that. Seems like I am getting a similar car to my 2017 with maybe a difference color and a few updates.

Appreciate input on any of the above. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I also wondered about the Rhodonite silver for my next 5. The general manager at my preferred BMW dealership said he had seen Rhodonite silver and didn't think it was much different from Glacier silver. There are five BMW dealerships in the Houston area and happily, one showed they had a Rhodonite silver 540i coming in. I went to look at it during the 4 hours it was available to be seen--waiting for the customer that had special ordered it. A position of prominence at their "delivery" bay and fully lighted. Could also do one to one comparison to Glacier silver near it on the regular floor. The Rhodonite silver is silver with a slight brown cast. Glacier silver is silver with a slight blue cast--much like an actual glacier if you have ever seen one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I did not think the Rhodonite silver was enough of a difference to be worth the extra $1K+ and ordered my car with the Glacier silver. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Thanks - I really like glacier silver, but unfortunately not available on a M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Rhodonite is a special color that must be seen in the sun. It has much more metallic flake and depth than glacier silver. Side by side the glacier silver looks dull in comparison. I think rhodonite is absolutely worth the up charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
Hello - getting ready to place an order for a 2020 530xi to replace my 2017 530xi. My current car is Bluestone Metallic and I have really enjoyed the color and the car.

I thought about ordering Rhodonite Silver this time and looked at all the pictures I could find. I though it was a classic silver when looking at the paint sample at the dealership, but the pictures make it look more of a Cashmere Brown Silver. Can anyone comment who has that color or has seen it, what it really looks like?

My other color choice would be White or do Bluestone again.

Options will be:

Executive Package
M-Sport
Front and Back Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Harmon Kardon
Parking Assistance Package
Multi-Contour Seats (although contemplating Luxury Seating package)

I had the new X5 for a loaner today, while our X5 was being serviced. It had the Driver Assistance Plus package on it and thought that worked really well. I think it is more up to date that the 5 Series package though and I really never use cruise control.

Also - thought about doing the 530e, but I drive mostly highway miles, so probably not a good choice for that. Seems like I am getting a similar car to my 2017 with maybe a difference color and a few updates.

Appreciate input on any of the above. Thanks!
I love my 530e but I agree with you...if you drive mostly highway miles you will not get a significant benefit from the phev and you will feel the extra weight. On the other hand, you will get better early acceleration from the electric motor. I did a trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas and back and checked my mileage for just the highway portion. Most of the driving was done at 75 mph. I got about 32 mpg for that. On my normal driving, with a lot of city driving where I can drive in pure electric mode, I have been getting between 700-1,000 miles on a 12.1 gallon tank.

Based on other posts, and also on my own experience, sit in the seats you are contemplating on an extended test drive and make sure they are comfortable for you and adjustable for your needs. I have the luxury seating package and I can get the seats exactly as I like them but that is me with my body style.

I would also urge you to consider Nappa instead of Dakota. I had the Dakota in my prior 3 series and I really disliked it; on the other hand I have the Nappa now and I love it. It is creamy smooth. If you do go that way, also consider the leather dash; it covers not only the dash but the door tops and is Nappa as well. If you don't go for the Nappa, I would not go for the leather dash as IMHO it clashes with the Dakota and it will accentuate the difference.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      03-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
Rhodonite is a special color that must be seen in the sun. It has much more metallic flake and depth than glacier silver. Side by side the glacier silver looks dull in comparison. I think rhodonite is absolutely worth the up charge.
I saw it in very bright showroom lights, but not in sunshine, so I cannot comment on this. I agree that Glacier silver is not as bright as I remember silver on past German cars. Probably has to do with the new water-based paints. Perhaps the upscale silver's are better. I bought "Super Silver"--a $3000 option--on my 2009 Nissan GTR and it was really bright--like the German cars used to be bright. I think the "Individual" silver color--can't remember the name but it's about $5K--is probably the berries as far as Silver goes. It's supposed to be the most elaborate color BMW does. My cars don't get washed very often so I make my color choices accordingly. The colors that still look good unwashed are metallic white, metallic beige and silver in that order, from experience. I ended up with a 2020 Graphite Gray (almost Black) 530e by taking a low option car off the floor for a substantial discount. Added the black grill and it really looks great clean--not so much dirty.
Appreciate 0