BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G31 Touring automatic trunk cover stuck

07-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW 520d Touring G31

G31 Touring automatic trunk cover stuck

Hi all,

Got my G31 Touring for 1 week now and absolutely love it (got no issues with crackling dash or air conditioning).

Today, I closed the trunk with a lot of stuff in it, and the automatic trunk cover started to close as always, but got stopped half way by some luggage.

Now, it is actually stuck in that position. I would assume it should just retract, but it doesn't. I also emptied the trunk, so now nothing is stopping it from closing - but it will not move - not close or not open. I think some safety thing got triggered and for some reason it keeps believing something is blocking it.

Anybody here had the same issue? Solution?

Sure my dealer will be able to fix it, but I am on holidays for the next 10 days and would like to see it fixed to prevent snooping eyes while parked in the city...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoManiac View Post
Hi all,

Got my G31 Touring for 1 week now and absolutely love it (got no issues with crackling dash or air conditioning).

Today, I closed the trunk with a lot of stuff in it, and the automatic trunk cover started to close as always, but got stopped half way by some luggage.

Now, it is actually stuck in that position. I would assume it should just retract, but it doesn't. I also emptied the trunk, so now nothing is stopping it from closing - but it will not move - not close or not open. I think some safety thing got triggered and for some reason it keeps believing something is blocking it.

Anybody here had the same issue? Solution?

Sure my dealer will be able to fix it, but I am on holidays for the next 10 days and would like to see it fixed to prevent snooping eyes while parked in the city...
It happened to me once. When my gf pushed the trunk and it stopped. I was in car so I pushed button inside (drivers door) and it closed itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW 520d Touring G31

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about the roll-out cover of the trunk in the Touring version. You can hook this flexible roll-out cover in a set of rails left and right of the trunk, and it will roll down to cover the trunk when you close it, and roll up automatically when you open it. It hooks behind two plastic things to ride up and down the rails.

Those plastic things were stuck in the middle of the rails and would not move up or down, no matter what I tried.

After just leaving the roll-out cover in its casette for 3 days, this morning I saw that the plastic things came down...I hooked in the roll-out cover and they went up as they should. So basically, the car self-healed after 3 days :-)

I have no idea why they were blocked in the middle nor why they decided to come down again after 3 days...I am afraid this was not the last time they failed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
malehumangeek
Rep
Drives: VW Touran

Hey- this same thing has happened to me today, and after a full day of trying multiple solutions I’ve booked it in to the dealer. Has it happened to you again? Any tips on how to fix it?!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

My car is G30 but I had once problem with the power trunk closing . My solution was simple : pulling the trunk lid with my hands to close it manually a low tech and old school and then I waved my foot to kick open it brilliantly . It worked .
      10-28-2017, 01:15 AM   #6
JohnDoe2017
Rep
Drives: BMW G31

I had this issue during vacation. Annoying as h***. Dealer fixed it. Said it was a software issue (bug on early production).

It won't happen on a G30 as it doesn't have a trunk cover like the G31.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 05:28 AM   #7
malehumangeek
Rep
Drives: VW Touran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2017 View Post
I had this issue during vacation. Annoying as h***. Dealer fixed it. Said it was a software issue (bug on early production).

It won't happen on a G30 as it doesn't have a trunk cover like the G31.
So did the dealership just do a software update to fix it? I have it booked in and have to leave it there which is a pain - sounds like it should only take 5 mins?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
JohnDoe2017
Rep

The update took 5 hours or so. Got a newer software but introduced an issue with the 360 picture showing a 7 series. This is now fixed but required BMW AG to remotely correct the fault.

Sometimes I wonder how they can get it so wrong. Should be simple to do software updates. But then again Microsoft, Apple, Volvo all have similar or worse issues when needing updates. Ah well I guess this is 2017. Just have to like it.
Appreciate 1
Spyder364.50
      11-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
Klinkschakel
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

I have it since two days, my roll cover of the G31 is stuck and not usable.
Do I need to go to the dealer to get it fixed? I was hoping that closing and opening or a ‘night’ reset would do the trick.
Otherwise I will go to the dealer on monday.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #10
xins01
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 SR+

Anyone knows why this is happening? I got the same problem and my car is at dealer today but this is my 2nd time so i hope that they have a permanent fix for this.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Klinkschakel
Private
Rep

I was told that the cars software needs to be updated, it will take a day to update the sw... I have an appointment next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
xins01
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 SR+

My G31 got a software update today and now it works again
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 04:56 AM   #13
travelbug63
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xdrive touring

I had exactly the same problem with mine, stuck half way across and had to take it back to the main dealer to have something done with the software. I noticed there is still a very small gap (approx 20mm)when it's closed that I don't remember from previous touring models.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
Klinkschakel
Private
Rep

Got the sw update (brought the car in the morning and was returned 4 hours later) and it's working again.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
JohnDoe2017
Rep

Anyone know IF there is a permanent SW fix for this. 2nd time now and very irritating. Read on a German auto forum there was a SW update in December that should fix things.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #16
Klinkschakel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2017 View Post
Anyone know IF there is a permanent SW fix for this. 2nd time now and very irritating. Read on a German auto forum there was a SW update in December that should fix things.
The sw fix is there already for weeks. See above, I had it installed, no problems since.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
JohnDoe2017
Rep

Yes I also had a sw update in July but that didn't help permanently since it was stuck again 2 days ago. Hoping there is a more solid fix now.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #18
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

Short of finding the time for the SW update, has anyone identified the fuse for the roller cover and tried pulling it for 2 minutes, to see if 'turning it off then on again' might reset it? Not tried it, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #19
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Any further update on a fix for this?

Had it re-set a few weeks ago when it stuck half open and it stuck again today. BMW garage plugged it in and it re-set immediately.
They are taking the car in next week to see if they can figure out the issue and find a permanent solution
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #20
mephistocles
Rep
Drives: 520D Touring M Sport

Solution-

Very simple but took a while to work it out.

With the boot open, pull the boot cover towards you until the stansions slide out of the grooves so that there is no pressure on the moving parts.

Now, with the easy access window open but the rest of the boot closed, hit the remote key close button and the moving parts will retract allowing you to put the boot cover stansions in the grooves again and the system is reset.

If this doesn't work try starting and stopping the engine and opening and closing the boot before the above.

I discovered it on holiday after bringing too much booze back from France. It's actually a proper design feature that the cover will lock with too much pressure so that a) the moving parts don't break b) it's by product is useful in that the cover can hold your stuff in place (although probably not it's primary design)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #21
nomisnomis
Rep

Resurrecting this old thread...

Is this still happening for many people? This keeps happening on my late 2017 G31, last time it did it the boot was actually empty, the cover just seemed to stop 2/3 down - it's been stuck like that for a week now.. Has anyone confirmed recent software updates resolve this?

I've previously fixed it by trying various combinations buttons/boot/east access window opening closing, but nothing this time, it looks like a visit to the garage is due, will push to get a S/W update done at the some time if it looks like this has been resolved in a newer version..

mephistocles unfortunately your suggestion not getting me anywhere here..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:33 AM   #22
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I have a late 2017 G31 and had the same issue in the first weeks. I returned it to the dealer who either installed new software or re-installed the existing, but since then I have not had a single re-occurrence
Appreciate 0