BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding CarPlay and warranty

02-15-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

CarPlay and warranty

Thought it's worth sharing my experience. Now, I don't mean to scare people or negatively impact those who sell CarPlay solutions, but more so something for people to consider before installing. This is really more relevant for cars under warranty.
I recently purchased CarPlay from a online seller. CarPlay itself worked perfectly fine. I then had a unrelated issue which required a software update. The dealer refused to update the head unit software citing the unofficial install of CarPlay. I then Went back to the seller of CarPlay who by the way was exceptionally helpful and removed CarPlay. This does require obtaining a fsc repair pack to reinstall after the head unit been flashed.
I then took it back to another dealer who updated the software with no issues. Speaking with an engineer whilst I was there, the whole CarPlay conversation came up. Bmw techs have been issued to guidance to look out specifically for unofficial CarPlay installs and refuse software updates as it 'may' cause issues.
Moral of the story, if your cars under warranty and CarPlay is that important then purchase via connected drive. Btw, this is in the Uk, so can't comment on how willing dealers are in other countries.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:54 AM   #2
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Similar issue with a UK dealer. I did not have carplay installed but I had coded a few options (mainly the chirp on lock). As soon as the technician heard that he went into a lengthy ramble that coding caused warranty issues. I asked him to explain how coding the locking chirp would potentially impact a warranty repair (as an example) of the EGR. He mumbled a bit (and never really answered me) and went on to recall some war stories of unofficial carplay activations and bricked head units that were not being replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Note that if you enable widescreen CarPlay only (with an active subscription) they will do a firmware update, but you will have recode it after the update is complete.
Appreciate 1