BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Repeat Rodent Damage

03-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
docgaines
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Repeat Rodent Damage

Not sure what to do. I have a 530e for 17 months, I live in NYC and park on the street. Had a drive train error show up one morning, take the car in and find the wiring harness in the engine has been chewed. Car gets fixed. Park it overnight, same error pops up the next day, more rodent damage. Had engine bay steam cleaned, used some internet remedies: peppermint oil, mothballs and dryer sheets. 1 month later the car gets chewed up again. Dealership smiles and thanks me for my business as each repair is about $1200-1800. I don't see any way to keep this car protected. I feel that a car attacked so many times has something which is attracting these rodents and that it is not being addressed during the repairs or perhaps the wiring harness is particularly tasty. I drive the car at least 5 days and often 6 days a week. On the waiting list for a garage in my building but it's been 2 years already. Any ideas on getting BMW to get me into a different model or some way to protect the wires?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Wow, unfortunate. It's a semi-common issue not just limited to bmw. Partly has to do with environmental requirement changes to the way wiring harnesses are made.

Search Google for rodent tape. Several companies make it and you re-wrap the harnesses being attacked by rodents with this tape. The rodents don't like the scent or taste so (hopefully) they won't chew.

Honda has an oem version. Google it. Many others have it too. Unfortunately, the oems aren't using it on production harnesses.

I've heard of people buying wire loom and wrapping the loom in this tape. Then they cut as needed and place over the car harnesses and tie wrapping to the harness.
      03-25-2020, 01:56 AM   #3
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

They are creatures of habit so you have to seriously dissuade with tape or offer something more attractive like poison bait. Set traps , peanut butter is good. Wait a few days, they are cautious, then keep the bait topped up. Anchor the bait or they will drag it away.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
Titan2004
Private
Rep
Drives: M550i/M50i/488/Maybach/RR

Oils, sheets, etc might work to a degree in a small, confined space with very limited airflow. When parked in a larger space, such as a multi car garage or outdoors, poison (unfortunately IMO) placed strategically, is the only solution that works.

If you choose to go this route, place the poison underneath the car at all four corners and a few pieces underneath also. Might want to check out NYC law...I found this in a quick search

"The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) places poisoned bait (rodenticide) in areas around the City to reduce the rodent population. The poisoned bait is used in accordance with State and City law. It is placed in locations where it will not harm the health of the general public, pets, birds, or squirrels."
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

I remember some years ago that for environmental reasons manufacturers were making wire sheathing out of a soy based product and the rodents well, ate it up. Are they still using soy? Or some other environmentally friendly material that attracts rodents? Don't know but what ever it is, it does seem to attract them in NYC. --Bob
      03-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgaines View Post
Not sure what to do. I have a 530e for 17 months, I live in NYC and park on the street. Had a drive train error show up one morning, take the car in and find the wiring harness in the engine has been chewed. Car gets fixed. Park it overnight, same error pops up the next day, more rodent damage. Had engine bay steam cleaned, used some internet remedies: peppermint oil, mothballs and dryer sheets. 1 month later the car gets chewed up again. Dealership smiles and thanks me for my business as each repair is about $1200-1800. I don't see any way to keep this car protected. I feel that a car attacked so many times has something which is attracting these rodents and that it is not being addressed during the repairs or perhaps the wiring harness is particularly tasty. I drive the car at least 5 days and often 6 days a week. On the waiting list for a garage in my building but it's been 2 years already. Any ideas on getting BMW to get me into a different model or some way to protect the wires?
Thanks!
Thank EU politicians and regulators that force automakers to use electrical wiring that is soy based thus making your vehicle's cables into one tasty treat to critters:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...hink-is-tasty/

You may have this issue with any new car to be honest. Can you pony up the cost of parking on another critter free location?.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 11:23 PM   #7
EpicSurge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

This happened to me a year ago, around Christmas time my check engine lights came on, when i took it to the dealership turned out a rat chewed the wiring harness so bad they had to replace the whole harness. total cost was over 10k but i only paid 1k for deductible. Turns out rodents love the soy based wiring insulation, and they also love to hide in the engine bay in the winter. I no longer park on the street and got a garage.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgaines View Post
Thanks!
you're correct it has to do with wires outer layers. I've heard about fiber being chewed repeatedly by rodents. It got so bad that we had to file a complaint with corning (OEM for fiber) to look at coatings they use on the wires. I know it doesn't help your situation but i can attest to your assessment for sure
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #9
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
With street parking and the size of rodents in NYC I don't know what to recommend but I can sympathize. I found the 'ultrasonic' rodent deterrents work well although I was skeptical at first.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
With street parking and the size of rodents in NYC I don't know what to recommend but I can sympathize. I found the 'ultrasonic' rodent deterrents work well although I was skeptical at first.
Yeah with New York City's rodents, I am frankly surprised they didn't just get in and drive off....Bob
      04-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #11
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Yeah with New York City's rodents, I am frankly surprised they didn't just get in and drive off....Bob
Rats chewing wires , stealing cars, eating pizza. Wtf is going on

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #12
weiserone
Registered
Rep
Drives: M550xi

Just got my car back from dealer after mice chewed the harness over the winter. Damn rodents.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #13
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

I feel for you. Had that happen in to my Dad's 535i and my 335i back in 2012. Squirrels ate through my brake sensor wires on the 3 and the wire harness on the 5. Cost about 2k for both cars back then. The cars were parked indoors too. Called the exterminator and he took care of them. Nothing since then. Just hope they don't find the new 3 I am picking up next friday mouth watering. lol
__________________________________________________ __________________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
*Picking up at the dealer 04/30: 2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. No Nickname as of yet
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:30 AM   #14
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

What a bummer getting rodent chewed though that should be covered on most auto comprehensive insurance claims. Hopefully you have a reasonably low deductible.

I remember another post about rodent damage to a 5 series where the owner had to have the entire wiring harness replaced and it was super expensive. BMW must make the most delicious wires. Mothballs and dryer sheets be damned