BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Fisheye Lenses...

04-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Fisheye Lenses...

I apologize for my ignorance. Is a fisheye lens a separate lens, or is it an lens attachment? I'm seeing a lot of these on eBay and was thinking of purchasing one. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

A fisheye lens is a wide angle lens that is not corrected for rectilinear distortion (so straight lines in the scene will appear curved in the image). Not having to correct for this distortion allows for such lenses to be wider in field of view than non-fisheyes of similar sharpness/quality/cost (or sharper/faster than non-fisheyes of similar field of view and cost). They are available both as standalone lenses for SLR interchangeable lens cameras and as add-on adapters that fit on the front of fixed lens point-and-shoot cameras.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
^ what he said... can't explain it much better than that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
A fisheye lens is a wide angle lens that is not corrected for rectilinear distortion (so straight lines in the scene will appear curved in the image). Not having to correct for this distortion allows for such lenses to be wider in field of view than non-fisheyes of similar sharpness/quality/cost (or sharper/faster than non-fisheyes of similar field of view and cost). They are available both as standalone lenses for SLR interchangeable lens cameras and as add-on adapters that fit on the front of fixed lens point-and-shoot cameras.
Thanks for the great information; however, which is better, interchangeable lens or add-on adapter? Or will they both generate similar images?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs***** View Post
Which is better, interchangeable lens or add-on adapter? Or will they both generate similar images?
The field of view and general appearance of the image may be pretty similar, but you can expect a lot better sharpness/resolution from a good standalone fisheye lens then from an add-on adapter. Of course, you'll pay a lot more for one too.

If you haven't used an SLR camera before it might make more sense to play around with the less expensive point-and-shoot + adapters for a while to decide what effect you want to achieve. If you do go the SLR route the saving grace is that specialty lenses (like fisheyes) can usually be resold for a good fraction of their purchase price should you decide they are not to your liking.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

i agree with what's been said... very well put!!

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0