BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e- bmw connected app is a pos junk.

05-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
goto35
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 m3 cars in 14 years :)

530e- bmw connected app is a pos junk.

Got my 2019 530e 2 days ago.

Bmw connected app is not updating. What a pos junk app.

Hate to say it this is the reason Tesla owners are so happy with the tech. Bmw who's supposedly been around for so long can't get it right.

Anything I can do to fix? On one phone it says updated 2 days ago. On my android says car last updated in Dec 2018. Lol

Anyways rant off.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Mine works flawlessly. There is an occasional day when BMW in general may be having problems and the app is down, but that has been very rare for me. Mine always tells me status of fuel, locks, trunk lid, etc, and I can ventilate as I'm coming down the 18th hole (or having the last beer in the 19th hole!) without fail.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Yea I agree. Some quirks and the occasional glitch, but overall I've been very happy with the Android version. I just checked and mine last updated on the 19th April
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
All the functions work perfectly for me. Always has on multiple vehicles. iOS version.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I have iOS version as well, works fine so far, only odd ball thing is "last trip" sometimes it's not really last trip (I have two iphones, and I installed app on both not sure if it has something to do with that)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
nrh1703
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

in the last week i've had to clear the app cache a couple of times but then once logged in it's fine. hasn't happened before, was always flawless previously. using Android 9
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

It took about 3-4 days after I bought my car before the app started working. You can also delete your car from the app and try adding it again
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
That_M4_guy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 (f82) m3 (e92)

bmw connected vehicle tracking

im honestly trying to get the bmw connected drive apps vehicle tracking to stay on, as the e drive 5 series we have is a loaner car for a bodyshop im at, and now im trying to get the vehicle tracking menu or option to be non accessible so we can keep tabs o out fleet, i know this does not relate much to the topic, but i just joined and need to reply somewhere, once i can post a thread i will, but for now, if anyone can help, greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Had a Model S for 3 years before this 530e and the BMW app is pretty terrible in comparison.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
530iDriver1707.50
      06-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
It is sketchy at best. I've had to delete and reload the app more than once. It always seems to work fine after that but then eventually it craps out...it's really only useful to me for ventilating the car before I get in it on a hot or cold day
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Same here...I think it's junk.
I have a question for those who have no issues with it:
can someone time how long it takes for a simple command to complete?

Make sure your doors are unlocked before you begin.
1. open the app
2. start a stopwatch
3. tap Lock doors, confirm.
4. wait for the doors to actually lock
5. stop the stopwatch

My results vary. The best time I have seen is 18 seconds, but often it runs for about 1:30~2:00 minutes and then it just times out.
Even at the best case 18 seconds -of waiting and staring at my phone- it does not meet my expectation of how an IOT device should perform. All the home automation products I have used are tap & forget, and they complete commands within a couple of seconds at most.

Reloading the remote camera image succeeds maybe 1 in every 10 attempts. The other 9 times it times out.

Everything about the 5 series BMW is top notch, premium quality and feel. I think they should do a better job with the mobile app.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #12
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post

1. open the app
2. start a stopwatch
5. stop the stopwatch

My results vary. The best time I have seen is 18 seconds, but often it runs for about 1:30~2:00 minutes and then it just times out.
Even at the best case 18 seconds -of waiting and staring at my phone- it does not meet my expectation of how an IOT device should perform. All the home automation products I have used are tap & forget, and they complete commands within a couple of seconds at most.

Reloading the remote camera image succeeds maybe 1 in every 10 attempts. The other 9 times it times out.

Everything about the 5 series BMW is top notch, premium quality and feel. I think they should do a better job with the mobile app.
I haven't had any real issues with it. It took me 19 seconds to lock mine just now which I think is decent. The only time it took longer than 20-25 seconds is when I tried to load the remote camera for the very first time after I bought the car. It took a few tries and then it would time out so I ended up just uninstalling the app on my phone, re-installing it and logging in. Then it worked the very first time.

Can they improve the app and the speed upon in which commands are carried out quicker? Of course. Everything can always be improved and more efficient. However, I think it's a very good starting point/foundation to build upon.

All of your home automation products that you're comparing our cars to are built specifically for automation. That's what they're designed to do. Our cars aren't built and designed for home automation so it's not a fair comparison to compare the two. Our cars (and cars in general) are built and designed with far more important qualities and characteristics (i.e. safety, drivability, reliability, etc) than being built and designed just for the sole purpose of IOT and communicating with other IOTs.

Given our ever increasing connectedness as a society and the explosion of IOT and data analytics, BMW realizes certain things that weren't possible in the past, now are, and they're doing a good job of putting this technology in their cars/app. IMO, BMW is one of the best car manufacturers when it comes to advancing technology in the car, software platforms (with iDrive), and the BMW Connected APP. The only car manufacturer that is steps ahead of everyone is Tesla as they're the kings of technology and software in vehicles.

For people who's expectations were not met with the app, ask yourself a question, what was your expectation before using it? Were you thinking it was going to be like the Tesla than you had just ridden in? Were you thinking it was going to work like your Google Home or Amazon Alexa or Apple HomePod? If yes then your expectations, possibly, were too high to begin with. A better comparison would be to look at other (similar) car manufacturers- Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc. and compare BMW and the Connected APP to those. IMO, BMW with their iDrive, Connected APP, and tech is better than the other 3 car manufacturers software, App, and tech.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 06-17-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

It does take a bit of time to connect and confirm. In my case, my principle uses are (1) to send an address to my car and I usually do that the night before so the delay is not important to me; and (2) I use it to turn on the AC in my car after it has been sitting in the sun for some time (e.g., when I am golfing). In that case I do wish it connected a bit faster but it is adequate and recently it seemed to connect quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
Lauritzen DK
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

The Android app functions work perfectly for me, sometime the BMW-connecteddrive web-page needs a few reloads before it collect all the data from the car, but otherwise I think the remote interfaces woks fine.
Ex: BMW 523i F10 - BMW 523i LCI E60 - BMW 520 E39 - BMW 320i E30
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #15
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Had a Model S for 3 years before this 530e and the BMW app is pretty terrible in comparison.
Curious, what made you leave the Model S behind for the 530e?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #16
HKPhooey
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 M440i Grand Coupe

Collected my 530d end of November and iOS app failed to update location, fuel, mileage and none of the remote services would work. Back to the dealership and they fixed a number of errors, it then worked for a couple of days then stopped.

Have removed\added car and added/deleted app a number if times, but no stability in the information on the app. Seems as though the car is not communicating to the BMW servers and it's not location coverage as the other BMW works fine on the app at all times, and we've been to various places with very strong coverage.

Now with the BMW Connected team to investigate, but the fact they asked me to tell them the current software version but navigating to the Remote Update menu which despite the car having IDrive 7 and the new live cockpit, is not active in the car .... hopefully they will have an answer as I really like the app and had no issues with previous cars, and as I say the other car works fine, so that's why I think it's a problem in the car only communicating occasionally to the BMW servers.

Other than this really enjoying the drive .... 😊
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      01-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Tesla interior is a true POS, especially for a $90k car.
They got excited when there was a vanity light put in last year!
Still no cooled seats. No cubby in the doors and no center console to hold and hide stuff. It drove really well but all the stuff in the interior you see and touch was cheap.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #18
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Tesla interior is a true POS, especially for a $90k car.
They got excited when there was a vanity light put in last year!
Still no cooled seats. No cubby in the doors and no center console to hold and hide stuff. It drove really well but all the stuff in the interior you see and touch was cheap.
Agreed. A few years ago when I was in the market, I was toying with the idea of a new Model S. That car looks good but it is junk. And in addition to all you mentioned, the car has a considerable amount of road and tire noise. Not acceptable for something in that exorbitant price range.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 2
aus887.50
      01-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #19
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8CDT View Post

Now with the BMW Connected team to investigate, but the fact they asked me to tell them the current software version but navigating to the Remote Update menu which despite the car having IDrive 7 and the new live cockpit, is not active in the car .... hopefully they will have an answer as I really like the app and had no issues with previous cars, and as I say the other car works fine, so that's why I think it's a problem in the car only communicating occasionally to the BMW servers.

I have the same issues with my 530e / Connected Drive. It’s not very reassuring to see that BMW’s Connected team are still not aware that the ID7 in the G30’s don’t have Remote Software Update - they asked me the same question. That is a real mess - I have seen an official BMW document saying the version of ID7 in the G30’s will never have RSU but Connected says its an available service and if you follow the link it says the car already has it. The Drivers Guide & printed manual also says it has it and so do Customer Support !
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #20
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8CDT View Post

I have the same issues with my 530e / Connected Drive. It’s not very reassuring to see that BMW’s Connected team are still not aware that the ID7 in the G30’s don’t have Remote Software Update - they asked me the same question. That is a real mess - I have seen an official BMW document saying the version of ID7 in the G30’s will never have RSU but Connected says its an available service and if you follow the link it says the car already has it. The Drivers Guide & printed manual also says it has it and so do Customer Support !
Ouch!

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #21
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Where do you see the RSU listed in the Connected app? I have a 2020 M550i and don't see anything in the (iOS) app. Definitely not showing in the "Enabled Features" section of the app. I also don't see it on the web site. It comes up a something "recommended". Clicking the link in the recommended area doesn't show that it's already present on my car. In fact, the only thing remotely helpful that it states on the page is:

Whether your vehicle is capable of receiving and installing software upgrades via Remote Software Upgrade depends on the hardware built into the vehicle. You can find out whether your vehicle is capable of Remote Software Upgrade by checking the following menu in iDrive.

1. “CAR
2. “Settings”
3. “General Settings”
4. “Remote Software Upgrade”
If “Remote Software Upgrade” does not display, the vehicle is not capable of Remote Software Upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #22
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post

1. open the app
2. start a stopwatch
5. stop the stopwatch

The time is takes the app to complete tasks makes sense to me and I like it. BMW doesn't "mask" the task time any and you get a real confirmation that your task has completed. My MB would complete tasks sent to the car super fast. Except you wouldn't know if it didn't actually get the command!

The phone has to send a command to the server which then has to wake up the car and process the command then the car has to reply. It usually completes in 20 seconds which I think is pretty good and I can be certain that it is done!

IoT devices often are connected to wifi so are always awake. Cell phone connected devices like cars can't always be connected because cell phone spectrum is limited so they need to sleep until waken up.
Appreciate 0