BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW 1 Series Sedan Coming, But in FWD :(

09-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #67
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Not the end of the world.

Also why do people keep talking about the M2??

Didnt this site say there would be NO M2 and only a M235i?
I don't recall anyone saying there was going to be no M2. I think there just hasn't been any talks regarding it. So that's neither a yes or no for a M2 in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #68
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

If customers are worried about snow offer an xi all-wheel-drive option. Other than that what the hell is fwd good for except lame driving characteristics?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #69
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

what happened to the ultimate driving machine as BMW's guiding philosophy?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #70
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Not the end of the world.

Also why do people keep talking about the M2??

Didnt this site say there would be NO M2 and only a M235i?
there will be an M2! as mentioned by Scott and other sources in the past...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #71
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
Funny how everyone seems to know what's best for BMW. Probably because BMW has no experience as a car manufacturer. Maybe you all can work for them and save the company before it's too late. I'm sure it would be really successful.
If you don't like it, move on. Everyone complains about all the new models before they are out, yet so many people seem to be buying them and enjoying them when they are released. Why is that? Hmmm.
X10
      09-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #72
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

yeah second gen 2 series will be FWD standard, I can't see them having two separate platforms for the 1 and 2 series and I doubt the 3/4 series platform will work for the 2 series. BUT as others have said, I fully expect AWD to be an option and to sell very well, I would guess the majority of 1/2 series sales will be AWD (just like Audi A3/A4). Lots of people won't care that the base is FWD because they would get AWD either way...

The real question will be, what will happen to the M2... Will the M2 become the first AWD BMW M (non SUV)? or will they somehow build those on a RWD platform (highly doubtful). I would guess it will have a turbo i4 with AWD, much like the CLA AMG and upcoming S3/RS3.

personally, if BMW made a M2 GC with an i4 turbo putting out around the same numbers as the CLA AMG (350/350), AWD, and used some weight saving parts, I would buy one (assuming the GC looks like a mini 6 GC).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #73
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Why is it when FWD is mentioned but disclosed in a way that states how it will be implemented that many go the full Kanye and rant knowing all too well that these decisions will not affect them?

Watch the IAA press conference to hear why BMW is progressing as a company.
The "global" market is expanding and there is great demand for compact premium cars. In that segment there is a requirement for extra space and flexibility and for BMW to grow in that segment then their COMPACT cars have to grow in terms of packaging and the solution to increase interior space is by adopting FWD.

The BMW UKL cars will be closer aligned to the next MINI which for the segment you are going to see some impressive technology filter down from BMW to MINI.
The UKL matrix is adaptable between BMW and MINI and modular so a full range of models can be developed by strategic placement of the modular areas to identify many individual models. It also gives MINI a serious profit surge than the current car.

The 1er Sedan will come with a MINI Twin , but since you protest too much to care? then you will still receive a 2er Gran Coupe in 2015.
The sportier nature of the new 2er Coupe and how it fits between the 1er , 3er and 4er will be revealed on October 25.
      09-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #74
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Why is it when FWD is mentioned but disclosed in a way that states how it will be implemented that many go the full Kanye and rant knowing all too well that these decisions will not affect them?

Watch the IAA press conference to hear why BMW is progressing as a company.
The "global" market is expanding and there is great demand for compact premium cars. In that segment there is a requirement for extra space and flexibility and for BMW to grow in that segment then their COMPACT cars have to grow in terms of packaging and the solution to increase interior space is by adopting FWD.

The BMW UKL cars will be closer aligned to the next MINI which for the segment you are going to see some impressive technology filter down from BMW to MINI.
The UKL matrix is adaptable between BMW and MINI and modular so a full range of models can be developed by strategic placement of the modular areas to identify many individual models. It also gives MINI a serious profit surge than the current car.

The 1er Sedan will come with a MINI Twin , but since you protest too much to care? then you will still receive a 2er Gran Coupe in 2015.
The sportier nature of the new 2er Coupe and how it fits between the 1er , 3er and 4er will be revealed on October 25.
Awesome. At least we have a date now. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #75
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, F20

Quote:
Because FWD / BMW? Kind of like gravy flavoured ice-cream - I don't need to try it to know I'm going to hate it.

Quote:
you will still receive a 2er Gran Coupe in 2015.
2 years to graft an ass onto an F20? It better be good because it could be the last new BMW I ever spend my money on
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #76
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Just add xDrive-

Rear Bias xDrive FTW!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #77
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

What's the big deal about the 1 series platform moving to fwd?? The mini's drive great and honda makes great FWD cars. I'm sure BMW will be fine.

The real concern here is the 2 series, which is supposed to be a sporting product line up. I would think appropriate steering and RWD architecture should be a priority. We know the first gen is f20 based architecture. The hope is, in the future, it is a chopped platform of the 3/4, so they could keep development costs down, but still maintain RWD.

random question - you think they'll ever come out with an X2?
      09-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #78
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post

The real question will be, what will happen to the M2... Will the M2 become the first AWD BMW M (non SUV)?.
Exactly my thoughts.
Now, if that is going to happen, I will be one happy man!
Or a 2 Series GC AWD.
I love the 6 Series GC, but man, they are huge.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #79
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703
"...Random question - you think they'll ever come out with an X2?"
Yes
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #80
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
what the hell is fwd good for except lame driving characteristics?
Answer:
Quote:
However, this...
Quote:
I fully expect AWD to be an option and to sell very well, I would guess the majority of 1/2 series sales will be AWD (just like Audi A3/A4). Lots of people won't care that the base is FWD because they would get AWD either way...
makes no sense. Turning a nose-heavy FWD car into AWD (as with the Audis) doesn't make it magically handle any better, it just makes it heavier.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #81
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:

Okay, but what about the future of the 2er? Will the next generations be RWD? The reason we all freak out is that FWD is like an infectious disease. Once it appears in a line-up it never stops spreading.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #82
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Question:

Answer:

However, this...

makes no sense. Turning a nose-heavy FWD car into AWD (as with the Audis) doesn't make it magically handle any better, it just makes it heavier.
My point was that AWD is a big seller, and it doesn't matter if the base car was RWD or FWD to people who want AWD.

Also I would beg to differ on handling between FWD and AWD, are you seriously telling me the AWD version would not "handle" better than FWD?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #83
five_timer
United_States
Rep

While I'm on the topic, I also need to lodge my protest about this retarded, Mercedes-like naming convention that BMW is adopting. What's the point of renaming the entire lineup to have odd-numbered sedans/even-numbered coupes; and then at the same time, totally fark it up by throwing the 4-door "gran coupes" into the wrong series? So if a 3-series has 2 doors, it now has to be a 4-series, except the 4-series gran coupe has 4 freaking doors!

Just like Mercedes with the SL, SLK, CL, CLS, CLK disaster.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #84
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My point was that AWD is a big seller, and it doesn't matter if the base car was RWD or FWD to people who want AWD.

Also I would beg to differ on handling between FWD and AWD, are you seriously telling me the AWD version would not "handle" better than FWD?
Agree that the AWD version of a FWD car will handle better, due to reduction in torque-steer and understeer. But I disagree with your first statement - if the nose-heavy Audi Quattros handled just like the BMW xDrives, nobody would buy the BMW. So it DOES matter if the base car is FWD or RWD.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #85
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
While I'm on the topic, I also need to lodge my protest about this retarded, Mercedes-like naming convention that BMW is adopting. What's the point of renaming the entire lineup to have odd-numbered sedans/even-numbered coupes; and then at the same time, totally fark it up by throwing the 4-door "gran coupes" into the wrong series? So if a 3-series has 2 doors, it now has to be a 4-series, except the 4-series gran coupe has 4 freaking doors!

Just like Mercedes with the SL, SLK, CL, CLS, CLK disaster.

3 doors are 4 series, 4 doors are 3 series.

No imagination?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #86
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
If the 3 and 4 series are the smallest RWD cars available, then not only am I never buying a new BMW but I am done being a BMW enthusiast. I am tired of getting shafted at the release of every new model.
+1000 if the 3 series continues to grow in size next gen
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #87
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

What happened to the Ford fiesta / Audi A1 sized 0 series that was reported on Autocar?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #88
touringfanatic
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: bmw 5er f11 Touring

Simply heretical and wrong. They're not going to gain anything but ruining probably the best driving hatchback known to mankind. Reasons for which they call this an improvement are ridiculuos and they're trying to keep up with the competition they already outsell. Those who don't comprehend the loss ought to drive any of the e8x 1series models. It really was the ultimate driving machine in its class that is going to be killed for ultimate grocery runabout. BMW won't see any justifiable financial gain either in the end because this decision is a fundamental misunderstanding of the marketplace (In my modest opinion their decions were made because of the success of the current a-class and the thing they're so wrong about is that is more successful because of the much improved design and not the more spacious fwd arangement) .
Appreciate 0